Sponsored

Jeep Rubicon Order - Xtreme Package Mandatory?

edisonstar23

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Hi Everyone I’m looking forward to owning my first Jeep. Finally went to put an order for a fully loaded Jeep Rubicon and the dealer comes back to tell me that Jeep is making it mandatory to order the Xtreme Recon Package. That package for me it’s an over kill since I’m barely going to take it off-roading.
Does anyone have an idea as of how long Jeep usually forces certain options?

I really need a car like at most 3 months and would hate to settle for a Sahara pay taxes and lose money to later get what I really want which is a Rubicon.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be gladly appreciated.
Sponsored

Monster1926

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Silverado 2500HD midnight
Maybe try another dealer I heard that they made xr mandatory but I also heard that they removed it? I don’t see why they’re forcing it right now when the XRs aren’t even in production.

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
Hi Everyone I’m looking forward to owning my first Jeep. Finally went to put an order for a fully loaded Jeep Rubicon and the dealer comes back to tell me that Jeep is making it mandatory to order the Xtreme Recon Package. That package for me it’s an over kill since I’m barely going to take it off-roading.

I really need a car like at most 3 months and would hate to settle for a Sahara pay taxes and lose money to later get what I really want which is a Rubicon.

I ordered mine 7/12 but I wanted the package. That is correct however. Required right now on Rubicon's. It may have been changed. IDK? Order banks for MY 22 open in October with builds starting in December. I bet it won't be required for MY 22 on Rubicon's. I think it's just one of those weird things they do. Lots' of crazy stuff at the end of the model year. They told me Proximity is required, also I couldn't order my Rubicon with the 2.0 engine. If you want XR you have to get the V6 or 392. It probably won't be that way in 22. I wasn't waiting until next year hoping to get it in 2.0. Just examples. But yes. I've heard the same thing. XR required on Rubicon's but like I say, I bet it won't be starting in 22. Not what you're wanting to hear and I hope I'm wrong. An ordered 22 would hit the dealer in late February or March if there's no problem. 21 XR Rubicon, 21 Sahara or 22 Rubicon in 6 months is what you're looking at :headbang: One solution is if you order from one of the dealerships that do under invoice pricing, say 6-7% below you wouldn't lose money in 6 months. Vroom would give you at least what you have in it and probably more. On the sales tax if you have a sales tax credit, you're only taxed on the difference. Say you sell your Sahara in 6 months for the $45k you bought it for and then get a semi-loaded $50K Rubicon (Both under invoice prices), then you just pay taxes on $10k. My state anyway. I know, huge PIA.

Just saying, doable. For example. My Rubi with XR, pretty loaded is MSRP $65k, I'm paying $56k 7% below invoice. I could turn around and get a quote from Vroom and be quoted at least my $56k, probably more like $60k with todays prices. Just sold my 2018 JL for stupid money to Vroom. Or get quotes from Carvana and I can't remember that other one folks are using here. See who gives the most. Or wait until Oct. and order what you really want. Sorry dude. None of my business. Just throwing out scenarios.

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Maybe try another dealer I heard that they made xr mandatory but I also heard that they removed it? I don’t see why they’re forcing it right now when the XRs aren’t even in production.
@Derf123 reported last night that Jeep gave him word that his XR is in framing. The first I've heard of that's moved out of D1. I'm hoping they've started on them anyway.

Monster1926

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Derf123 reported last night that Jeep gave him word that his XR is in framing. The first I've heard of that's moved out of D1. I'm hoping they've started on them anyway.
Interesting, I hope there’s a bunch of orders before mine. I won’t be ready for it until late October/November. 😬😬😬😬

Sponsored

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Interesting, I hope there’s a bunch of orders before mine. I won’t be ready for it until late October/November. 😬😬😬😬
Ha!! That's the first time I've ever heard that on the forum :LOL: Usually it's, OMG!! It's been 4 weeks, where's my Jeep :)

L1011

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 4R but hoping for a JLU
Yes, it is true that Jeep is mandating the XR package on all new gas V6 Rubicons with an auto transmission. Further, Jeep is not accepting orders currently for the 2.0T Rubicon JLU. Three different dealers in three different states all confirmed this for me.

I'm not happy about this (why offer to build your own Wrangler on Jeep's website if you can't buy what you want) but I highly doubt @JeepCares (see what I did there? 😜 ) that they're forcing the XR package on consumers.

I was really PO'd about this XR mandate when I went to order my first ever Wrangler earlier this month.

Monster1926

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ha!! That's the first time I've ever heard that on the forum :LOL: Usually it's, OMG!! It's been 4 weeks, where's my Jeep :)
It would work out perfectly last week of October delivery. It’s a 9 hour drive to the dealer and I have vacation that week. Even though I want it to come late I still hit Jeep chat up daily. When I ordered a few dealers said probably around 12 weeks

OP
OP
edisonstar23

edisonstar23

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I ordered mine 7/12 but I wanted the package. That is correct however. Required right now on Rubicon's. It may have been changed. IDK? Order banks for MY 22 open in October with builds starting in December. I bet it won't be required for MY 22 on Rubicon's. I think it's just one of those weird things they do. Lots' of crazy stuff at the end of the model year. They told me Proximity is required, also I couldn't order my Rubicon with the 2.0 engine. If you want XR you have to get the V6 or 392. It probably won't be that way in 22. I wasn't waiting until next year hoping to get it in 2.0. Just examples. But yes. I've heard the same thing. XR required on Rubicon's but like I say, I bet it won't be starting in 22. Not what you're wanting to hear and I hope I'm wrong. An ordered 22 would hit the dealer in late February or March if there's no problem. 21 XR Rubicon, 21 Sahara or 22 Rubicon in 6 months is what you're looking at :headbang: One solution is if you order from one of the dealerships that do under invoice pricing, say 6-7% below you wouldn't lose money in 6 months. Vroom would give you at least what you have in it and probably more. On the sales tax if you have a sales tax credit, you're only taxed on the difference. Say you sell your Sahara in 6 months for the $45k you bought it for and then get a semi-loaded $50K Rubicon (Both under invoice prices), then you just pay taxes on $10k. My state anyway. I know, huge PIA.

Just saying, doable. For example. My Rubi with XR, pretty loaded is MSRP $65k, I'm paying $56k 7% below invoice. I could turn around and get a quote from Vroom and be quoted at least my $56k, probably more like $60k with todays prices. Just sold my 2018 JL for stupid money to Vroom. Or get quotes from Carvana and I can't remember that other one folks are using here. See who gives the most. Or wait until Oct. and order what you really want. Sorry dude. None of my business. Just throwing out scenarios.
Thank you for the prompt response and for actually bringing up some possible solutions. I am getting the fully loaded Sahara for about 50k and sticker it’s about 57K which is 12% off the sticker and 6% of the invoice price. Maybe I will take my chances of getting that one to later on get the rubicon I wanted maybe in 6 months or so. You brought up a really good point which is the sales tax being in NY it’s 8.75%. I wonder if they will allow any sales tax credit. I have to call a dealer or reach out to tax professional because that is a major amount of money thrown to the state.

OP
OP
edisonstar23

edisonstar23

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Yes, it is true that Jeep is mandating the XR package on all new gas V6 Rubicons with an auto transmission. Further, Jeep is not accepting orders currently for the 2.0T Rubicon JLU. Three different dealers in three different states all confirmed this for me.

I'm not happy about this (why offer to build your own Wrangler on Jeep's website if you can't buy what you want) but I highly doubt @JeepCares (see what I did there? 😜 ) that they're forcing the XR package on consumers.

I was really PO'd about this XR mandate when I went to order my first ever Wrangler earlier this month.
Damn bro, we are in the same spot lol . The problem is that I need a car by no later than October. Otherwise I would just wait until the orders open back up for the regular V6 no extreme recon package. Does anyone have pictures of how the Xtreme Recon will look like on a Rubicon. Another thing is if you get the Xtreme package and to quite loaded rubicon which I was going to get will get me to 68k MSRP. That’s awesome Xtremely Close to the price of the 392 which in my opinion it’s a much better option for a 6k difference.

Sponsored

MonopoliJLUR

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler unlimited rubicon
The reason why it’s required is because it’s the end of the production cycle and because of the lack of chips they only want to build the expensive trim levels, or the ones that are gonna sell, right now the XR is the hot new package and it will sell even if you choose not to order it, so they aren’t gonna want to build other builds until MY 2022

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

You do you, but just highlighting that you might want to revisit your order and put a little more thought toward the Sahara.

You say "[The Xtreme Recon Package] is overkill for me since I'm barely going to take it off-roading"

but then you say "Would hate to settle for a Sahara....because I really want a Rubicon"

The Rubicon package is specifically built for extreme offroading - hence the slight lift, beefier axles, lockers, electric sway bar disconnect, etc. The things that differentiate a Sahara from a Rubicon are things that are specifically designed for offroading.

A Sahara - even fresh off the factory floor - is more than capable of handling the majority of off-road trails that you'll find. It can handle the Rubicon trail (though maybe not as easily as a Rubicon).

Again, you do you, but just wanted to clarify because you seem to be slightly confused as to the capabilities of the Sahara vs Rubicon.

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
Ok so a few thoughts (and questions) on this. My wife also wants the Rubicon w/o the Xtreme package. She loves the hood, dash, tougher look but will prob never take it off road. High Altitude with Rubicon hood would be the ticket but she felt like that was upbadging, we argued and I told her it's a Jeep, people change EVERYTHING anyway. She said nope. Anywaaaaaay the dealers all have said the same thing - mandatory with the gas six. My question for veteran Jeep people is I noticed a comment above saying it's just an end of the year thing. Think we should wait and see if the '22's lift that stupidity?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Ok so a few thoughts (and questions) on this. My wife also wants the Rubicon w/o the Xtreme package. She loves the hood, dash, tougher look but will prob never take it off road. High Altitude with Rubicon hood would be the ticket but she felt like that was upbadging, we argued and I told her it's a Jeep, people change EVERYTHING anyway. She said nope. Anywaaaaaay the dealers all have said the same thing - mandatory with the gas six. My question for veteran Jeep people is I noticed a comment above saying it's just an end of the year thing. Think we should wait and see if the '22's lift that stupidity?
But.... I mean.... buying "THE RUBICON" and not going anywhere where you'll need to use lockers and then calling an Altitude with a Rubi hood "upbadging".... It is a poser move regardless. Just own it. Get that altitude and get the hood lol who cares. You can even get a Sport S, get the good, rubicon takeoff wheels/tires and nobody will even know it is not a Rubicon.

It was actually painful the other day, this guy on an old Jeep asked me if my Jeep was a "new Rubicon". I have a rubi suspension and wheels/tires combo, mostly cause I am frugal AF. I told him no, it is a sport, a sport that sees a lot of dirt. I need to replace those red shocks lol.

Last edited:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
A Sahara - even fresh off the factory floor - is more than capable of handling the majority of off-road trails that you'll find. It can handle the Rubicon trail (though maybe not as easily as a Rubicon).
That Sahara is gonna come out of the trail looking like a crushed can lol. Specially being a 4 door and with plastic sliders. Getting through the Rubicon trail with a stock rubicon 4 door without damage is not easy feat at all. Maybe youtube makes it look like it.
Sponsored