A quick question about gasoline smell.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I found out the hard way. Dont try to over fill the tank when you fill the Jeep. The excess runs into a little canister under the hood and it smells until it basically evaporates. I was so upset it smelled like gas I actually made them smoke test the system. I felt a little dumb after figuring it out.
Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I've had a strong gasoline odor coming from somewhere with my 2020 JLUR Recon while in my garage and from the vehicle itself when driving. I had a gasoline can next to the Jeep but it was empty. The gas odor is very strong and is noticeable everywhere I travel with the vehicle. Checked under the hood and under the Jeep for leaks and cannot find anything to suggest there is a leak. I never top off with gas so that cause can be eliminated. I called Larry Miller Dodge/Jeep (Arizona) for a service appointment for the gas issue and they said it would take 3-4 days for someone to even check it out. I stressed to Service that this is a safety problem that should be prioritized but they said ANY mechanical issue presents the same severity as a gas leak and that they had several HUNDRED vehicles awaiting service!! Jaw dropping! Jeep has this many service appointments in queue? I see several others have experienced the same gasoline odor but no solutions presented yet. Does anyone have any idea where a leak could be coming from?
My 2020 Recon also had this problem about a month ago. The dealer was very competent, diagnosed the problem quickly, ordered a new fuel line, installed within two days…not a problem since. This is a known issue according to the tech who did my repairs. The leak was in the back of the engine bay in the fuel rail area… I noticed some fuel residue on the on the fuel lines running along the frame down towards the right side of the vehicle.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I've had a strong gasoline odor coming from somewhere with my 2020 JLUR Recon while in my garage and from the vehicle itself when driving. I had a gasoline can next to the Jeep but it was empty. The gas odor is very strong and is noticeable everywhere I travel with the vehicle. Checked under the hood and under the Jeep for leaks and cannot find anything to suggest there is a leak. I never top off with gas so that cause can be eliminated. I called Larry Miller Dodge/Jeep (Arizona) for a service appointment for the gas issue and they said it would take 3-4 days for someone to even check it out. I stressed to Service that this is a safety problem that should be prioritized but they said ANY mechanical issue presents the same severity as a gas leak and that they had several HUNDRED vehicles awaiting service!! Jaw dropping! Jeep has this many service appointments in queue? I see several others have experienced the same gasoline odor but no solutions presented yet. Does anyone have any idea where a leak could be coming from?
I guess you didn't read the thread about the raw gas smell in our '20 JLU Recon. I crawled around under it with a flashlight, carefully inspected inside the engine bay, looked on the garage floor for any wet spots, etc., but I never found a leak. The smell was always strong right after it had been driven and parked in the garage. It was so bad that we started leaving the garage door open for at least an hour until the smell stopped. It apparently was only leaking while someone was driving it and the leaking fuel evaporated after it had been parked for a while.

We took it to the dealer twice. The first time, they couldn't find any leaks and could not smell any fuel leak when it was on the lift in their big, open service bay. However, when they moved it to the oil change bay, which was in a smaller area, they admitted they could smell it. They still could not find the source.

They contacted Chrysler in Detroit, who had them weigh the charcoal canister to see if it was saturated with gas, a common symptom of topping off the tank. The weight showed no problem. They ended up replacing a purge solenoid and said that fixed it. I believe they just did that to say they did something because that did not solve the problem and we still had the strong gas smell.

We took it back to the dealer a few weeks later. They looked it over again and this time they discovered a hairline crack in the main fuel line near the engine. It had to be special ordered and they kept it for a week. However, since they replaced that line over 8 months ago there has been no more raw gas smell. I asked the service advisor how that line could have been damaged since it's my wife's dd and she has never driven it off-road. He did not know. Thus, I'd say it was done at the factory at some point during assembly.

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Recon & 2017 TACO 4WD OFF ROAD
Occupation
Retired
I guess you didn't read the thread about the raw gas smell in our '20 JLU Recon. I crawled around under it with a flashlight, carefully inspected inside the engine bay, looked on the garage floor for any wet spots, etc., but I never found a leak. The smell was always strong right after it had been driven and parked in the garage. It was so bad that we started leaving the garage door open for at least an hour until the smell stopped. It apparently was only leaking while someone was driving it and the leaking fuel evaporated after it had been parked for a while.

We took it to the dealer twice. The first time, they couldn't find any leaks and could not smell any fuel leak when it was on the lift in their big, open service bay. However, when they moved it to the oil change bay, which was in a smaller area, they admitted they could smell it. They still could not find the source.

They contacted Chrysler in Detroit, who had them weigh the charcoal canister to see if it was saturated with gas, a common symptom of topping off the tank. The weight showed no problem. They ended up replacing a purge solenoid and said that fixed it. I believe they just did that to say they did something because that did not solve the problem and we still had the strong gas smell.

We took it back to the dealer a few weeks later. They looked it over again and this time they discovered a hairline crack in the main fuel line near the engine. It had to be special ordered and they kept it for a week. However, since they replaced that line over 8 months ago there has been no more raw gas smell. I asked the service advisor how that line could have been damaged since it's my wife's dd and she has never driven it off-road. He did not know. Thus, I'd say it was done at the factory at some point during assembly.
After reading your reply, I was wondering if I had written what you wrote since our experiences were so similar. I called Jeep Wave (Jeep's premier warranty service) and told them of the strong gas odor/leak near the engine and they arranged the vehicle to be towed to the nearest Jeep Service Center. They were very proactive in getting my 20 JLUR Recon TOWED to a dealership to get fixed. They realized the danger of driving with a strong gas odor. I first noticed this strong gas smell everywhere I drove but it was even more pronounced while parked in my garage. Even my next-door neighbor could smell gas fumes from his house. It was that bad.

I visually inspected the undercarriage for about a month trying to find the source of the gas leak but could never find it UNTIL I decided to let the engine idle for about a minute and then shut the engine off to inspect underneath the vehicle. Sure enough, I could see a significant amount of gas leaking from the GAS LINE right behind the bell housing to the rear of the engine on the passenger side. You must be quick to view this leak right after you shut down the engine as the gasoline will drip onto the garage floor and will EVAPORATE quickly before you see any evidence of it.

The Jeep Wave service was very responsive, and they were very professional. They did NOT want me to drive the vehicle and recommended highly that I tow the vehicle to the nearest Jeep dealership to have it inspected. I took a video of the leak when I discovered it and showed it to the technician at the Service Department upon arrival at the dealership. Two days later, they called me to tell me that they REPLACED A BROKEN FUEL LINE located exactly where I found the leak.

I told the tech that this was a common discussion on the Jeep Forums but he said he never read them because most comments were not credible. He also said he has never witnessed a gas leak with Wranglers in his eight years as a Jeep tech. He surmised that the gas line could have been severed when the body was lowered onto the frame at the manufacturer. I did not think this was a credible reason. Eventually, I believe this gas line issue will result in a recall.

For those with newer Wranglers (2020+) who have similar gas odor problems, take advantage of the Jeep Wave program as they transcend way above your usual service needs. For now, my leaking gas issue is fixed. I haven't heard of any explosions caused by these leaks but I do know that gas fumes combined with an ignition can ruin one's day.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL

This is exactly what happened to me. They told me that it was from topping off the tank and gas going through the over flow to the canister, where supposedly it evaporates. It was so strong I thought my garage was going to blow up. I literally pushed the Jeep out into the driveway. The went through everything and including a "smoke" test. Turns out that canister may not be such a great idea.

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Recon & 2017 TACO 4WD OFF ROAD
Occupation
Retired
This is exactly what happened to me. They told me that it was from topping off the tank and gas going through the over flow to the canister, where supposedly it evaporates. It was so strong I thought my garage was going to blow up. I literally pushed the Jeep out into the driveway. The went through everything and including a "smoke" test. Turns out that canister may not be such a great idea.
See attachments for your answer to the fuel leak odors on 2020 JL/JLU/JLURs with the 2.0L engine. I had the same issue for about two months. I noticed a strong gas odor from the engine area for about two months and finally discovered it after I shut off the engine and immediately inspected below the passenger side of the engine. It is there you will find gas dripping from the gas line behind the bell housing. The reason it's difficult to find the leak is due to the rapid evaporation of gasoline when it hits the ground. I found a recall online and reported it to Jeep. Strange that they were unaware of this recall so I sent them the official recall documents that I attached.
Sponsored

Attachments