Sponsored

Yet another dealer trying to price gouge.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
In my view, price gouging is generally limited to a necessity - like inflated gas/food/generator prices during a natural disaster. On a nice-to-have product like a Jeep, it's capitalism. I thought that we had decided, as a nation, that we liked capitalism. Or do we only embrace the concept when it's in our favor?
Sponsored

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
Being a big believer in karma, I think once things get back to normal in the automotive industry, there are going to be a lot of dealerships that find themselves on the naughty or nice lists.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
Being a big believer in karma, I think once things get back to normal in the automotive industry, there are going to be a lot of dealerships that find themselves on the naughty or nice lists.
The local dealership that I was considering buying my 392 had a 2020 Wrangler Sahara for 45k...it was 43k when it was new, not sure how much they paid for trade-in

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
The local dealership that I was considering buying my 392 had a 2020 Wrangler Sahara for 45k...it was 43k when it was new, not sure how much they paid for trade-in
Iā€™ve seen some of that on Vroom as well. If you take a look at some of the 4xes they have listed, they are going for more than the sticker price and they are used.

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
ā€œA sucker born every minuteā€¦and two to feed ā€˜em.ā€

IMHO, any dealer discussion on buying a Jeep that doesnā€™t start at MSRP and work its way down from there is not a negotiation, itā€™s extortion.

Never pay above MSRP because it encourages these dealers to continue these unethical and unprofessional business practices. As many here have noted, however, ā€œvalueā€ is determined by a willing buyer and a willing seller, even if that means paying more than what most of the rest of us would. Happening every day now with houses and used vehicles, among other things. Unfortunately, capitalism at its worse, yet, admittedly, it help keeps the economy moving.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
This. Unfortunately, with 1 angry customer walking out, there will be 2 more come in within a week willing to pay "sticker" price. Especially at a high volume dealership.
Yep and no one on here was walking down to the dealer and donating money to help pay the overhead when no one was buying because of Covid and supply issues. You all try running a business and keeping the lights on when there are zero sales.

You donā€™t like the price turn around and walk out. Free country. Just like they are allowed to ask whatever they want. Laws of supply and demand will determine the sales price.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Yep and no one on here was walking down to the dealer and donating money to help pay the overhead when no one was buying because of Covid and supply issues. You all try running a business and keeping the lights on when there are zero sales.

You donā€™t like the price turn around and walk out. Free country. Just like they are allowed to ask whatever they want. Laws of supply and demand will determine the sales price.
This is the single best response yet.

For some reason when we pay less than MSRP it's good negotiating, and is celebrated. When we pay more, it's gouging. This is sour grapes thinking. This (supply/demand) concept is absolutely Economics 101 - taught on the very first day of class.

House prices here in Arizona are through the roof, with bidding wars in many cases. Are the sellers "gouging" the buyers by accepting the highest offer - or are they just getting what the market demands? Should we demand that people list their homes at pre-boom market prices or face being ostracized as being greedy? How would you handle selling an appreciated asset?

Last edited:

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Took my JLR to the dealer for its first free oil change and walked around the lot while waiting. They have quite a few new JL's and JT's on the lot, which surprised me...until I started looking at the stickers. ALL of them had this $10k-ish markup over MSRP. No wonder they have so many unsold. If the market drop that some financial guessers are predicting happens, I'll bet they'll wind up regretting their decision.

FB9150BE-BFA8-46DA-93D2-C703A397A8FC.jpeg
They don't sell they don't eat ! End of subject

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Not gouging when people are paying.
Blame the people willing to spend like drunken sailors, not the dealers.
Capitalism at work.
+10

It wouldn't occur to me to voluntarily pay a so-called market adjustment, simply to get a vehicle into my garage a bit sooner. With no disrespect intended, I'm not so impatient, nor do I plan so poorly, that it would ever be a consideration.

As ugly as said adjustments may appear to be, a willing buyer means it's just another line item on the sales contract.

Edit: I'll add that exigent circumstances -- e.g., an expensive breakdown of one's only vehicle -- may force the buyer's hand here. I'd still try very hard to avoid paying a mark-up, though.

Last edited:

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I guess some people might think its better to pay a little more and have it today, and not have to wait over 4 months like me. Just got the escalation case # last week at 100+ days and I got a ship date over a month from now, which will put it at almost 5 months... and I am just ordering a 2dr Willys Sport with AC, soft top and 3.6 MT
I hope you get your Jeep soon!

Sponsored

212Sparky

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited
Occupation
Electrician
When I looked at my ā€˜21 JLU 80th the dealer had a ā€˜21 JLU Sport S very little options. They put a 2.5ā€ Fox lift and 33ā€ BFG KO2ā€™s and a solid set of wheels on it. MSRP was $38k their price just over $54k. JLURā€™s are going for about that around me.

J.Ralston

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited.
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Law Enforcement, Self Defense/Firearms Trainer, Professional Musician, Off Road Enthusiast.
Took my JLR to the dealer for its first free oil change and walked around the lot while waiting. They have quite a few new JL's and JT's on the lot, which surprised me...until I started looking at the stickers. ALL of them had this $10k-ish markup over MSRP. No wonder they have so many unsold. If the market drop that some financial guessers are predicting happens, I'll bet they'll wind up regretting their decision.

FB9150BE-BFA8-46DA-93D2-C703A397A8FC.jpeg
I ordered and then bought my JLUR from Korf Motors in Sterling, Colorado. Tony Peckham was my salesman. My Rubicon had an MSRP of $58,235.00 but Tony sold me my Rubicon for $53,205.00. Tony told me that anyone who is wanting to order a vehicle through them, no matter where that person lives in the United States, that he would also give them a very good deal as well. He said that even with a 392 Rubicon, not even one of those would be MSRP, and he would even discount those too. If anyone is interested in calling him, the dealerships number is 970-522-1500. Tony is a good dude to deal with too. He took really good care of me when I ordered and then purchased my Jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL Yet another dealer trying to price gouge. D6C23935-8456-423B-A891-A1CB7C5EDFC3

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered and then bought my JLUR from Korf Motors in Sterling, Colorado. Tony Peckham was my salesman. My Rubicon had an MSRP of $58,235.00 but Tony sold me my Rubicon for $53,205.00. Tony told me that anyone who is wanting to order a vehicle through them, no matter where that person lives in the United States, that he would also give them a very good deal as well. He said that even with a 392 Rubicon, not even one of those would be MSRP, and he would even discount those too. If anyone is interested in calling him, the dealerships number is 970-522-1500. Tony is a good dude to deal with too. He took really good care of me when I ordered and then purchased my Jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL Yet another dealer trying to price gouge. D6C23935-8456-423B-A891-A1CB7C5EDFC3
Congrats on the new Rubicon, Glad to see there are dealers out there willing to make deals, even at below invoice the dealership still makes money from the manufacturer.