Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I think they have a margin of safety there but if you’re doing Baja and landing hard, that might be out the window. lol
Yeah, Baja is not for me. Everything has a limit just trying to find the official document from Mopar for my year and model. It is obvious that it was 85 lbs at one time, but why would they remove that note from the 2021 manual. I am only going up 12 pounds from a factory stock M/T tire and rim.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Yeah, Baja is not for me. Everything has a limit just trying to find the official document from Mopar for my year and model. It is obvious that it was 85 lbs at one time, but why would they remove that note from the 2021 manual. I am only going up 12 pounds from a factory stock M/T tire and rim.
honestly I think your gonna be fine with 12 lbs! I wouldn't worry about it...they probably removed it because it is vague to say the least!

JackA

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon; Nacho
Vehicle Showcase
Just weighed my MOPAR Performance Aluminum Wheel; PN 77072466AB and the KO2 tire that is mounted on it. 88.6 pounds! This is on my 2021 JL Rubicon; I really expect that Jeep has increased the spare tire carrier limit. I hope so anyway!

AllMoparParts.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
What are the weight limits for the stock spare tire mount and door hinges?
The factory hinges are the same part numbers for all years and all models so I would have to agree with the 85lbs mentioned in earlier owners manuals.

-Benny

Sponsored

OP
OP
Curcurt

Curcurt

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

The factory hinges are the same part numbers for all years and all models so I would have to agree with the 85lbs mentioned in earlier owners manuals.

-Benny
So my 2021 Rubicon was shipped from the factory with more weight on the hinges than the hinges were engineered to handle?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
So my 2021 Rubicon was shipped from the factory with more weight on the hinges than the hinges were engineered to handle?
Just under the limit. The wheels and tires (Falken Wildpeak M/T in 285/70/17) weighed 84.1 pounds on my Rubicon. With that said, this is why there are so many aftermarket tire carriers.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Rubicon Spare Tire Mount Weight Limit 2021_08_16_18_19_40_2019_Wrangler_Owner_s_Manual_v1.0.pdf_Nitro_Pro

AllMoparParts.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Perhaps yes if the wheel and tire combo do weigh this much. Have you weighed them?

I'm showing the BFG weight to be 51 lbs but Mopar does not have the wheel weight listed yet for wheel part # 6BZ393XFAA . I can check back on this.

- Benny

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Be me.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Rubicon Spare Tire Mount Weight Limit 20210620_141951

Laughing in the face of the factory limit with a 38 inch tire and heavy KMC beadlocks.

Until it fails and I end up crying. Hopefully I can get the Cavfab unit before then.

OP
OP
Curcurt

Curcurt

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Just under the limit. The wheels and tires (Falken Wildpeak M/T in 285/70/17) weighed 84.1 pounds on my Rubicon. With that said, this is why there are so many aftermarket tire carriers.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Rubicon Spare Tire Mount Weight Limit 20210620_141951
This NOTE was removed from the 2021 Rubicon manual and so far no one has been able to provide documentation as to why and what the new limit may or may not be. There was a reason they removed this NOTE.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Curcurt

Curcurt

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Perhaps yes if the wheel and tire combo do weigh this much. Have you weighed them?

I'm showing the BFG weight to be 51 lbs but Mopar does not have the wheel weight listed yet for wheel part # 6BZ393XFAA . I can check back on this.

- Benny
We are discussing hinge weight and at this point, it is way over the 85 lbs that everyone keeps hanging onto which is no longer in the 2021 manual. They didn't just build a hinge and hoped it would work. There were tests and engineering specifications that every part of the Jeep was built to. Mopar also has the tailgate reinforcement option. What good is this $600 part if the hinge is already over its limit?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
This NOTE was removed from the 2021 Rubicon manual and so far no one has been able to provide documentation as to why and what the new limit may or may not be. There was a reason they removed this NOTE.
Doubt that it was re-rated at less than 85 pounds, given the new Recon package, I would hazard a guess that it has been increased. Strictly speaking, the 85 pound limit is bogus anyway given that adding a Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement and Tire Relocation Kit is approved to be installed and certainly weighs more than 0.1 pounds (against the weight of my OEM tire and wheel).

Plenty of people running around with no reinforcement and 35" or 37" tires. What is the concern? That your OEM is too heavy or that you want to move up tire sizes?

AllMoparParts.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
We are discussing hinge weight and at this point, it is way over the 85 lbs that everyone keeps hanging onto which is no longer in the 2021 manual. They didn't just build a hinge and hoped it would work. There were tests and engineering specifications that every part of the Jeep was built to. Mopar also has the tailgate reinforcement option. What good is this $600 part if the hinge is already over its limit?
Hi Curtis, I think your arguments would best be directed to Mopar themselves. We are just a dealership/retailer similar to your local dealer. I believe Jeep does monitor the forums under the name JeepCares or something similar.

- Benny

OP
OP
Curcurt

Curcurt

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Hi Curtis, I think your arguments would best be directed to Mopar themselves. We are just a dealership/retailer similar to your local dealer. I believe Jeep does monitor the forums under the name JeepCares or something similar.

- Benny
Thanks, I have requested it from Mopar (FCA) and was told they could not find the documentation. I haven't given up yet it yet as we all know that everything is tested. I am sure if I overload the tailgate and hinges they will produce a document to tell me it voided the warranty.

OP
OP
Curcurt

Curcurt

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Doubt that it was re-rated at less than 85 pounds, given the new Recon package, I would hazard a guess that it has been increased. Strictly speaking, the 85 pound limit is bogus anyway given that adding a Mopar Tailgate Reinforcement and Tire Relocation Kit is approved to be installed and certainly weighs more than 0.1 pounds (against the weight of my OEM tire and wheel).

Plenty of people running around with no reinforcement and 35" or 37" tires. What is the concern? That your OEM is too heavy or that you want to move up tire sizes?
Warranty. If I go with 35s or 37s and they say you overloaded the mount, tailgate, or hinges. I just want a written document with their limits. I am sure if something breaks and I request a warranty fix they will find the documentation.
Sponsored