Sponsored

For those that have lived with the 392 for a while ... lets be honest, how are its manors on road?

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
I have owned Jeeps for decades, from CJs to JLs. I understand their on road handling characteristics. I know the 392 has an upgraded suspension and selec track. Was looking to get impressions on the paved road handling. Has it improved with this model? Does the 392 wonder and sway like a typical wrangler?
Sponsored

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392; 2018 JLUR (sold); 2016 JKU (sold)
Overall, they are great...for a wrangler. As far as wandering, I feel it is much like most wranglers in that you get some wandering on the highway in windy conditions. I replaced my front lower control arms to increase my caster angle and I think it has helped. My only complaint is the stock suspension feels a little too soft for my taste, which does lead to some excess sway. When you consider the power this thing has, I feel that a slightly stiffer suspension would be perfect.

392Stinger

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 392, 2021 Tahoe
Overall, they are great...for a wrangler. As far as wandering, I feel it is much like most wranglers in that you get some wandering on the highway in windy conditions. I replaced my front lower control arms to increase my caster angle and I think it has helped. My only complaint is the stock suspension feels a little too soft for my taste, which does lead to some excess sway. When you consider the power this thing has, I feel that a slightly stiffer suspension would be perfect.
I’ve only got 1K miles on mine but I would agree it’s a wrangler and has some sway in windy conditions but much better than my previous 13 Jk. It’s very pleasurable to drive at 70+ miles an hour and considering the power it has, it cruises very well in my opinion. I went to 35’s pretty much as soon as I bought mine so can’t say if it’s better now with wider wheels but I’m happy with the way it drives overall.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I am at 1K miles on my 21 392 and compared to my first 18 Rubicon it is like night and day.
I still have the wandering issue but nowhere near as bad as my 18 was even after 2 new steering box`s . I still feel that every one of the JK`S that I have owned from lifted to stock and stock to supercharged drove better than any JLUR that I have owned. I just got mine back from the dealers and of course it drove just perfect for them and the mirror mounted cruise/collision warning system did not rattle at all and the belt did not squeal on start up. They did inflate all of the tires to 37 psi which gives it a little bit of a harsh ride, 315/70/17 BFG KO2`s

I am going to put the Mopar front lower control arms from a Mopar lift kit. They were cheap enough $31.00 ea. and no alignment needed so what do I have to lose? I will let you all know if there was a change in driver input after I install them

https://www.allmoparparts.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=68322798AA

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I am at 1K miles on my 21 392 and compared to my first 18 Rubicon it is like night and day.
I still have the wandering issue but nowhere near as bad as my 18 was even after 2 new steering box`s . I still feel that every one of the JK`S that I have owned from lifted to stock and stock to supercharged drove better than any JLUR that I have owned. I just got mine back from the dealers and of course it drove just perfect for them and the mirror mounted cruise/collision warning system did not rattle at all and the belt did not squeal on start up. They did inflate all of the tires to 37 psi which gives it a little bit of a harsh ride, 315/70/17 BFG KO2`s

I am going to put the Mopar front lower control arms from a Mopar lift kit. They were cheap enough $31.00 ea. and no alignment needed so what do I have to lose? I will let you all know if there was a change in driver input after I install them

For curiosity sake. Can you try to get your caster on the 392 after install of LCAs? I have a feeling it will be in the 5s since 392 is 1.5” taller than non 392.

Sponsored

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

This is what I did. It helped.

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For curiosity sake. Can you try to get your caster on the 392 after install of LCAs? I have a feeling it will be in the 5s since 392 is 1.5” taller than non 392.
Mine is about 7 after this mod.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
I just got mine back from the dealers and of course it drove just perfect for them and the mirror mounted cruise/collision warning system did not rattle at all and the belt did not squeal on start up. They did inflate all of the tires to 37 psi which gives it a little bit of a harsh ride, 315/70/17 BFG KO2`s
Haha sounds like my dealer. FYI while belt squeal might be a thing, the 392s apparently also made an odd noise at startup while the header pipes expand.

I hate to say it because I much prefer discussion forums, but the 392 facebook groups are very active and honestly seem like the best way to get 392 info these days.

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow. Surprised since standard Rubi folks were seeing like 6.5-6.7 :like:
Well, that assumes I am measuring the caster correctly. I get right at 0 on the front of the pumpkin and 7 using the flat spot on the bottom of the yoke.

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Well, that assumes I am measuring the caster correctly. I get right at 0 on the front of the pumpkin and 7 using the flat spot on the bottom of the yoke.
Thanks for that. I know there is always factors that play in when doing at home, like level parking etc but I thought 0 at pumpkin was 6 degrees. That is only spot I’ve taken a reading from. Appreciate the response. Was just curious if adding the mopar longer LCAs was enough benefit on a 392. :like: . I don’t own a 392 but like to keep up with mods folks are doing :)

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for that. I know there is always factors that play in when doing at home, like level parking etc but I thought 0 at pumpkin was 6 degrees. That is only spot I’ve taken a reading from. Appreciate the response. Was just curious if adding the mopar longer LCAs was enough benefit on a 392. :like: . I don’t own a 392 but like to keep up with mods folks are doing :)
Yeah, there could definitely be some error in there. My garage floor seems pretty level but could have a slight angle. I think I can safely say the caster is somewhere between 6 and 7 degrees. From what I remember, it was about 5 degrees before changing out the lower control arms.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, there could definitely be some error in there. My garage floor seems pretty level but could have a slight angle. I think I can safely say the caster is somewhere between 6 and 7 degrees. From what I remember, it was about 5 degrees before changing out the lower control arms.
Thanks Bryan

ShockerRacing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojito! Wrangler 392, 2020 Neon Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
It's not terrible but it definitely could have been better matched to the performance of the motor. I upgraded to the Clayton Off Road lift kit and their springs made a huge difference in the on road feel of the 392.

I discuss this a bit in my latest video:
Sponsored