Sponsored

JL/JLU/JT Seat Slammers - Big and Tall Front Seat Drop (Desert Does It)

Steel vs 7075 Aluminum

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zpanki

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojave, GSA
I used a sawzall intentionaly leaving some wiggle room then cleaned it up with the angle grinder finaly polished it with my dremel. What I did was way overkill. You will be fine with a cut off wheel on an angle grinder, just go slow. This project really is way easier than it seems at first. I love the result and would do it again in a heart beat.
Sponsored

Panther69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
So got the slammers installed today. Did option 2 fully slammed since I’m 6’6”. Took a lot longer than I thought just due to my ineptitude. Hardest part obviously was the cutting with the sawzwall. First leg went fine then second took a bad angle and cut into the end of the guide piece. Also got confused on which bolts went where but I think all is assembled correctly. Heat index here in Texas made it probably more of a struggle than should’ve been too. Seems like it will take some adjustment getting everything set on the seat but just initial thoughts are it will be a vast improvement.

Alex_K

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Wrangler Willys
I started to install my slammers this morning and quickly ran into a problem with the hardware. So far I was only aware of an Option 2 hardware issue, but the instructions for Option 1 call for black M10 30mm Cap Head bolts for the front seat mount but those aren't included. I verified the parts list against what was received. I am going to keep going here since I haven't even gotten the seat out to cut the rails and hopefully someone here has had the same problem.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL/JLU/JT Seat Slammers - Big and Tall Front Seat Drop (Desert Does It) 20210814_092606
Jeep Wrangler JL JL/JLU/JT Seat Slammers - Big and Tall Front Seat Drop (Desert Does It) 20210814_092741

OP
OP
DesertDoesIt

DesertDoesIt

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Raptor, 2015 Lexus GX460, Fiero
Occupation
Owner of Desert Does It
I started to install my slammers this morning and quickly ran into a problem with the hardware. So far I was only aware of an Option 2 hardware issue, but the instructions for Option 1 call for black M10 30mm Cap Head bolts for the front seat mount but those aren't included. I verified the parts list against what was received. I am going to keep going here since I haven't even gotten the seat out to cut the rails and hopefully someone here has had the same problem.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL/JLU/JT Seat Slammers - Big and Tall Front Seat Drop (Desert Does It) 20210814_092741
Sorry about the confusion. For the Option 1 Kit, if you choose to install the .25 inch shims under the front rails then you will reuse your factory bolts.

No need for the cap head bolts on the Option 1 Install.

Hope that helps. Feel free to call with any questions.

Steve

Alex_K

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Wrangler Willys
Ok, next problem I did not foresee: there is a plastic strip (there is a little clip that seems to travel on it) inside the driver seat door side rail (not one on the other rail - in the middle of the jeep) that just cracked while installing the cutting template. This thing is a foot long and riveted into the rail. I didn't notice it was even there until I heard it crack (since it was on the backside of where I was tightening hardware). Is this going to impair the functionality of my seat and do I need to try to figure out how to replace it?
20210814_111413.jpg
20210814_112150.jpg
20210814_111820.jpg

Sponsored

Alex_K

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Wrangler Willys
Ok, next problem I did not foresee: there is a plastic strip (there is a little clip that seems to travel on it) inside the driver seat door side rail (not one on the other rail - in the middle of the jeep) that just cracked while installing the cutting template. This thing is a foot long and riveted into the rail. I didn't notice it was even there until I heard it crack (since it was on the backside of where I was tightening hardware). Is this going to impair the functionality of my seat and do I need to try to figure out how to replace it?
20210814_111413.jpg
20210814_112150.jpg
20210814_111820.jpg
Well, everything is back together and it seems I have full travel on the seat with no problems. It was tricky getting the seat rails bolted back to where they belong - there is a little pin that inserts into the frame at the front-middle bolt location and once I noticed that it all came together.

In addition to the instructions needing to clarify that the original hardware is to be used up front for the 1.5" drop of Option 1, I think they should remind you to plug the seat electrical back in before bolting it down. I also found that it helped to take the head rest off while cutting the rails so the seat didn't rock around as much.

I bought a jeep 4 months ago specifically because I knew there would be a solution to me being too tall for it. After the test drive, I can say that all other reviewers are spot on: I finally feel like I am sitting IN my Jeep! Thank you, Desert Does It!

Now, to celebrate
20210814_160031.jpg

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
In addition to the instructions needing to clarify that the original hardware is to be used up front for the 1.5" drop of Option 1, I think they should remind you to plug the seat electrical back in before bolting it down. I also found that it helped to take the head rest off while cutting the rails so the seat didn't rock around as much.
Can you take a picture of what it looks like installed? I have seen Option 2 pictures showing the lean angle with the rear chop and raising the front but nothing for just dropping the rear.

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
Just installed mine yesterday, full 2" drop with the .75 rize on the front. Is the left side of the seat supposed to be hitting the b pillar when all the way down and slid back? It doesn't even feel like it would stop itself if it wasn't hitting the side of the jeep.

I did struggle a lot trying to get it installed properly. The video I watched made it look so easy but it just didn't seem to want to fit back in there perfectly no matter what I did. I think it's good enough for now but I can definitely see myself revisiting this.

Another thing I didn't realize about this setup is because the seat is now slanted your getting less headroom as you move the seat forward, I'm sure it's still more than stock however. I have short legs for being 6'5" and it's actually a little bit of a stretch to reach the pedals with the seat all the way back. But when I move the seat forward my head moves closer to the roof. I hope I can find a good position in the next few days, I've only driven it once so far but it's a much more nuanced setup than stock for sure.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Just installed mine yesterday, full 2" drop with the .75 rize on the front...

I have short legs for being 6'5" and it's actually a little bit of a stretch to reach the pedals with the seat all the way back. But when I move the seat forward my head moves closer to the roof. I hope I can find a good position in the next few days...
What if you remove the .75 front spacer? That will get your legs closer to the pedals so you do not have to scoot as far forward? I tried the 1.25" front spacer for a day and found I had to get a lot closer to the steering wheel to reach comfortably. Otherwise OEM I am all the way back and all the way down.

OP
OP
DesertDoesIt

DesertDoesIt

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Owner of Desert Does It
Well, everything is back together and it seems I have full travel on the seat with no problems. It was tricky getting the seat rails bolted back to where they belong - there is a little pin that inserts into the frame at the front-middle bolt location and once I noticed that it all came together.

I bought a jeep 4 months ago specifically because I knew there would be a solution to me being too tall for it. After the test drive, I can say that all other reviewers are spot on: I finally feel like I am sitting IN my Jeep! Thank you, Desert Does It!

Now, to celebrate
Jeep Wrangler JL JL/JLU/JT Seat Slammers - Big and Tall Front Seat Drop (Desert Does It) 20210814_160031
Hey Alex,

Thank you for the review and comments. Great pic of you opening the beer, very cool!

-Happy to hear you figured out that plastic track issue. That's the first I've heard of that issue and definitely something I'll include in the instructions (as well as the Option 1 reusing the factory bolts in front).

-I've updated the instructions to include a note about plugging all the connectors back in.

Just installed mine yesterday, full 2" drop with the .75 rize on the front. Is the left side of the seat supposed to be hitting the b pillar when all the way down and slid back? It doesn't even feel like it would stop itself if it wasn't hitting the side of the jeep.

I did struggle a lot trying to get it installed properly. The video I watched made it look so easy but it just didn't seem to want to fit back in there perfectly no matter what I did. I think it's good enough for now but I can definitely see myself revisiting this.

Another thing I didn't realize about this setup is because the seat is now slanted your getting less headroom as you move the seat forward, I'm sure it's still more than stock however. I have short legs for being 6'5" and it's actually a little bit of a stretch to reach the pedals with the seat all the way back. But when I move the seat forward my head moves closer to the roof. I hope I can find a good position in the next few days, I've only driven it once so far but it's a much more nuanced setup than stock for sure.
Hey Stan,
Thanks for the feedback. Did you install both Option 2 front Seat Jackers? Are you using any Seat Extender type brackets with our Seat Slammers? We've not run into the issue with the seat hitting the B Pillar. The seat tracks have built in stops so they should never slide off the tracks.

You're right about the less headroom the more you move the seat towards the steering wheel. About the only way to reduce that is to remove the Option 2 Front Seat Jackers.

The Option 2 Kit has a lot of adjustability options. Spend some time dialing it in by trying it with the .75 Inch Front Seat Jackers, just a .25 Inch shim, and varying shims in the rear. Hopefully you can get it dialed in.

Hope that helps
Steve
DDI

Sponsored

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
I don't think it can work without the jackers, i just went out and the right side rail is probably less than 1 cm from the floor. Its the lower part of the seat that's touching the lower part of the b pillar... the part that says airbag... witch is slightly concerning lol.

All i have is the full option 2 seat slammers with no spacers, and the seat jackers with no spacers, nothing else. The seat is definitely lower for sure, i think the next step is to look into some kind of pillow for the headrest and maybe the sound bar too because even slammed my head easily touches it. Im just a total freak of nature with this torso.

Alex_K

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Wrangler Willys
Can you take a picture of what it looks like installed? I have seen Option 2 pictures showing the lean angle with the rear chop and raising the front but nothing for just dropping the rear.
Here are pics of the 1.5" drop Option 1 installed.
20210816_205125.jpg
20210816_205514.jpg
20210816_205236.jpg
20210816_205241.jpg
20210816_205257.jpg
20210816_205310.jpg
20210816_205218.jpg
20210816_205140.jpg
20210816_210417.jpg

OP
OP
DesertDoesIt

DesertDoesIt

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Owner of Desert Does It
Here are pics of the 1.5" drop Option 1 installed.
20210816_205241.jpg
20210816_205218.jpg

Great pics, thank you. Especially the two above. It shows how the 2 Door JL is different from the JLU/JT.

Just added a note to the instructions.

2 Door JL Wrangler - When installing the Cut/Drill Fixture on the outside leg, the holes that will be drilled will just miss the seat rail stop rivet. You will need to ensure that the holes being drilled are on either side of the rail stop rivet.

Alex_K

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Wrangler Willys
Great pics, thank you. Especially the two above. It shows how the 2 Door JL is different from the JLU/JT.

Just added a note to the instructions.

2 Door JL Wrangler - When installing the Cut/Drill Fixture on the outside leg, the holes that will be drilled will just miss the seat rail stop rivet. You will need to ensure that the holes being drilled are on either side of the rail stop rivet.
Interesting. Note that I had to omit the washer on one of the bolts because of the rail stop rivet.
Sponsored