Sponsored

Mopar Calibration for 35s (was I ripped off?)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
For $330 you could have bought a Tazer that you can reuse multiple times, and use it for other things like disable the ESS, activate your halos, turn off the weather alerts, etc., etc., etc. And you can also resell it if you decide to get rid of your Jeep.

With few exceptions, I view money handed to the dealer as money flushed down the toilet.

RowdySouth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR Mojito 6-speed, 2000 TJ (retired)
Did you pay with American Express or Visa? Dispute and dig your heels in. If they didn't contact you to approve it, then fight. You put yourself at a disadvantage accepting the fee, but you had to get your keys back and thats the only way.

Odierub

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
What dealer? Rat them out!
This is now the answer to that BS. Get on every social media and post your story and poor rating. After a couple post call the dealer and have them check them out. See if they would like you to continue or reconsider the charges.

JackA

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon; Nacho
Vehicle Showcase
In Washington State the vehicle repair shop is required to contact the owner if the actual amount is $100 higher than the quoted price. My guess is that New York has a similar law; you might check. My local dealer under quoted a tire switch and remount; told me about it when I came to pick up the Wrangler JL but did not ask for the difference. I brought the mechanics a box of bakery donuts the next Monday...

Sponsored

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
This is now the answer to that BS. Get on every social media and post your story and poor rating. After a couple post call the dealer and have them check them out. See if they would like you to continue or reconsider the charges.
Looks like OP is from NY...What part might be a determining factor if they give a $hit...I can just picture Paulie from NYC telling him to go **** himself.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Here in CA, that wouldn’t fly. Auto repair facilities aren’t even allowed to do anything to your car for free unless they have your prior consent.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
Tazer. One of the best things I have purchased for my JL. When you do the 37's you could program for it yourself. Turning off the seat belt chime and start/stop is worth the price of admission. The rest of the uses are bonuses IMO.

EugenesAJeep

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
I too my 21 JLU in for a tire calibration after putting on 35s. I was told over the phone that it would cost me about $130 for the calibration. After dropping it off the dealership calls me and says it's gonna cost me $336.00, because they have to do a download and that's the charge in the computer for the 2021 JLs (mind you I also have a 2019 JL and the cost was about 130.00 with the download). So I get there to pick it up and the guys says "Oh, we signed you up for a service warranty that ends tomorrow. The warranty allows you to get future software updates for free/lifetime, and that's the extra $186.00 charge you see on the invoice. Yeah this ends tomorrow so we signed you up so that you don't miss out." So, the dealership just volunteered me to pay an extra $186.00 wtf. You can see the (CSLSC) charge on the invoice. To tell you the truth I don't even understand what the guy was telling me about the extra $186. My depiction above is only my best approximation of the vague crap that the guy told me. Anyone else come across this. Hell, at 336.00 I could have just bought the damn tazer tool. Something smells very fishy here.

calib1.png

calib-2.png
Paid $125 6 months ago at dealer that did not smell fishy.

Riggs

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara Altitude
I had tires, lift and speed calibration done at a dealership a few weeks ago. The speed calibration was $150. I knew it was a little above average cost, but I was getting a great deal on the tires.

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
File a case against them in small claims court for misquoting you the amount and trying to charge you bogus fees for a simple ECU setting change.

Tharris

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 4dr (JLU) Sting Gray
I too my 21 JLU in for a tire calibration after putting on 35s. I was told over the phone that it would cost me about $130 for the calibration. After dropping it off the dealership calls me and says it's gonna cost me $336.00, because they have to do a download and that's the charge in the computer for the 2021 JLs (mind you I also have a 2019 JL and the cost was about 130.00 with the download). So I get there to pick it up and the guys says "Oh, we signed you up for a service warranty that ends tomorrow. The warranty allows you to get future software updates for free/lifetime, and that's the extra $186.00 charge you see on the invoice. Yeah this ends tomorrow so we signed you up so that you don't miss out." So, the dealership just volunteered me to pay an extra $186.00 wtf. You can see the (CSLSC) charge on the invoice. To tell you the truth I don't even understand what the guy was telling me about the extra $186. My depiction above is only my best approximation of the vague crap that the guy told me. Anyone else come across this. Hell, at 336.00 I could have just bought the damn tazer tool. Something smells very fishy here.

calib1.png

calib-2.png
Could have bought a tazer for that price and set and reset it any time for free. Also, never expect to not get ripped off and down right screwed at every encounter at a dealership.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Sounds like you got ripped off but life is too short to wring your hands over a couple hundred dollars. If I were you I would just not go to that dealer again and move on.

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...

calib1.png

calib-2.png

You got off lucky, other people have had their catalitic stolen or their whole jeep jacked. 🥴

Dzwart06

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
There is an upside, if I read the original post correctly. They added lifetime updates to his tire size etc. so every time he changes tires or gears or needs TPMS values changed that is free. And he doesn’t need to uarry and then remarry his Tazer (I have the Tazer and love it) but it is a hassle if he just wants simple and owns the Jeep a long time it will pay for itself.
Sponsored