To "Half Doors or not to Half Doors, THAT is the question?"

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
I skipped them. love the fact that they brought these out and I think the $4k is a fair price for them. but the strip of paint in between the door panels sticks out on a light colored car - on white, it looks like a white stick between the upper windows. if I had gone with green or black, I might have pulled the trigger. but overall, one thing I love about my JL is that with the top down, when my windows are up, I feel enough of the open air experience without much extra wind or noise. I guess I'm getting old
Sponsored

Big_Lebowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2016 JKUR Rock Crawler
Occupation
I glow in the dark!
Good Lord, at $4k or whatever you think they could align them before they ship. This is disappointing.
It only takes a few minutes. There are YouTube videos on this.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Definitely like the look of them. I went with SOT and don’t like the look as much with this option. Something about it just looks off putting to me. Now on the wife’s Sahara Altitude, I wouldn’t mind finding a pair at some point. Even still, they are at the very bottom of my list.

Sponsored

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR - Prior: XJ | TJ

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
Since I got my Jeeps before half doors were available, and I tend to buy vehicles that are heavily discounted, end-of-model-year, and lingering on the dealer lot for months...these were never in the cards for me; but I desperately wanted them... Doorless is too windy for my tastes, the full doors are claustrophobic and don't look great unless you have a full top on.

Luckily I managed to score some half doors 2nd hand for roughly half what the option would have cost me on a new Jeep. Adjusting them is trivial. The uppers are not great for freeway use (they pull away some at the top) but are otherwise good quality and easy to drop in or pull out and keep in the Jeep if you need them. The zip-down windows are pointless except to open for a drive-through during a rainstorm or something.

The gal that sold me her doors didn't like them because they were noisy and turbulent on a 2 door Jeep with a hardtop on the freeway. I can confirm - but this is not much different than a full door with the window rolled down... maybe there's a bit more whistling at the rollbar. I think the idea with half doors is to take off the top or run a bimini/soft top.

lpasq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR - Prior: XJ | TJ
OP, glad I got the OE halves on my 2 door. The fulls are boxed and stored, and will not go back on. Some day if getting rid of this Jeep, the dual door group goes with the rig. Even now that I moved to Ohio from SoCal, I'll stay with the soft uppers. I like the look of my Jeep with the soft uppers better that the full doors. That's just me. I can handle winters ok. The other 9 months, on nice days, the uppers get thrown in the back. I also took out rear bench and stored it, since I don't need it.

Last edited:

dgoldenz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I wonder what happens on a lease if you sell the half doors. Do they even ask about them when you turn in the car? In theory you’d be paying like 25-35% of the cost to add them to the car since the residuals are high, then you could sell them for $4k or so and pocket the difference.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I wonder what happens on a lease if you sell the half doors. Do they even ask about them when you turn in the car? In theory you’d be paying like 25-35% of the cost to add them to the car since the residuals are high, then you could sell them for $4k or so and pocket the difference.
That's a good question... I leased my Jeep, I wonder if they're going to want the bag with the recovery strap it came with? Oh, who am I kidding, I'm not letting them have my Jeep back.

Sponsored

MRKelly

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S 80th Annivers
Live in the Washington DC area ... could see a few months where the factory half doors would be great...trying to weigh that against the PIA in removal, storage, alignment, etc. ... leaning to saving the $4K, but also wonder if a rare-ish option (half-doors) on a rare model (392) will have a good ROI.

Any full-door folks regretting NOT getting half doors?

Any half-door folks wishing they did not?
This is my first Wrangler, and I knew I wanted the dual door group, because I liked how it looked with the top off. I live outside of Philadelphia, and don't plan on putting the full doors back on until January. I keep the full doors in my basement.
The window part of the half doors stack nicely in the back storage area.
The dual door group with the Sky One-touch power top on the 392 would be my next choice ...
BTW, I never had ANY issue about alignment, and everything fit like a glove...

Jeep Wrangler JL To "Half Doors or not to Half Doors, THAT is the question?" IMG_6464

Jeep Wrangler JL To "Half Doors or not to Half Doors, THAT is the question?" IMG_6471

Jeep Wrangler JL To "Half Doors or not to Half Doors, THAT is the question?" IMG_6534

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
It only takes a few minutes. There are YouTube videos on this.
Sure, but all the more reason they could do this at the factory. I'm as handy as the next guy but I've already had to spend money fixing and replacing parts that should have been caught the first time. Issues when it was brand new.

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Good Lord, at $4k or whatever you think they could align them before they ship. This is disappointing.
the logistics of removing the full doors from the jeep while still on the line to install and align the half doors, then remove and reinstall the full doors are probably not worth it.

you could always have the dealer do it once it arrives, but dealers screw stuff up too much. I imagine they do offer to align them though, for a price.

TMD78

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Back again with JL#3, 2 door Willys
Saw a sport Oscar mike edition in the dealer showroom today with half doors so I got to touch and examine in person, they look awesome and feel so light, glad I added them to my order. BUT, the dealer hasn’t properly aligned them, so as mentioned above best to just do it yourself.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
you could always have the dealer do it once it arrives, but dealers screw stuff up too much. I imagine they do offer to align them though, for a price.
100%. I have had a couple issues where I bought parts and fixed it myself, to avoid the dealer.
I could align the half doors if I had them, I'm just saying the price is high to still have to DIY.
Sponsored