Trip to Ouray and Moab September/October 2021

WIJLU

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Lot's of options at both places, and both places are incredible, but they are vastly different from each other.

Ouray: One day could be spent running Mineral Creek - Engineer Pass into Lake City. Then returning via Cinnamon Pass to Animas Forks - Then drop down into Silverton - Then back to Ouray on Hwy 550. This is a full day. As mentioned...Mineral Creek has gotten very rough over the past few years. Another option would be Corkscrew to California to Animas forks...this is much easier. From Animas Forks, pick up Engineer and continue on into Lake City. Return via Cinnamon as I described earlier.
Another day could be Imogene to Telluride, return to Ouray via Last Dollar Road (Brings you through Rigeway). This would be a full day.
A third day could be Black Bear to Telluride, return to Ouray via Ophir. I would still run this as a full day...but it'll be the shortest of the three days.
These are "days" that I have done before that have worked out well...certainly not the only options.

Moab:
Shafer Switchbacks, Gemini Bridges, Fins-n-Things, Chicken Corners....all very fun, relatively easy trails. Hells Revenge, Top of the World, Golden Spike, Poison Spider, etc are great trails...more technical and probably a stretch for a stock Jeep...especially by yourself. Get a book on Moab trails and stay on the easier trails.

My opinion...Moab is MUCH more technical and will test your vehicle much more than the trails around Ouray will. I'm very comfortable running around the San Juans as a single vehicle...I won't venture too far off the easy trails in Moab alone.

Enjoy your trip!! You picked a couple of perfect areas to explore!!
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Lot's of options at both places, and both places are incredible, but they are vastly different from each other.

Ouray: One day could be spent running Mineral Creek - Engineer Pass into Lake City. Then returning via Cinnamon Pass to Animas Forks - Then drop down into Silverton - Then back to Ouray on Hwy 550. This is a full day. As mentioned...Mineral Creek has gotten very rough over the past few years. Another option would be Corkscrew to California to Animas forks...this is much easier. From Animas Forks, pick up Engineer and continue on into Lake City. Return via Cinnamon as I described earlier.
Another day could be Imogene to Telluride, return to Ouray via Last Dollar Road (Brings you through Rigeway). This would be a full day.
A third day could be Black Bear to Telluride, return to Ouray via Ophir. I would still run this as a full day...but it'll be the shortest of the three days.
These are "days" that I have done before that have worked out well...certainly not the only options.

Moab:
Shafer Switchbacks, Gemini Bridges, Fins-n-Things, Chicken Corners....all very fun, relatively easy trails. Hells Revenge, Top of the World, Golden Spike, Poison Spider, etc are great trails...more technical and probably a stretch for a stock Jeep...especially by yourself. Get a book on Moab trails and stay on the easier trails.

My opinion...Moab is MUCH more technical and will test your vehicle much more than the trails around Ouray will. I'm very comfortable running around the San Juans as a single vehicle...I won't venture too far off the easy trails in Moab alone.

Enjoy your trip!! You picked a couple of perfect areas to explore!!
Great advice. I would think that Poison Spyder to Golden Spike, and out to Gemini Bridges would be a long day in a stock Jeep. It was a 12 hour day lifted on 37s. Then trying to get across the golden crack with small tires might be a challenge too. Not saying it can't be done. It just seams like there were things on that trail that while we did with 37s, could be a lot of work with a stock sport. A lot of rock stacking making it a very long day.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

+1 on chicken corners for scenic and not very technical. Beautiful views of the potash ponds from Hurrah Pass on the way out there as well. Also Schafer trail and Long Canyon can be done in an out and back "loop" for amazing views. Definitely pick up a copy of Charles A. Wells "Fun Treks" for both Moab and Colorado. Tons of valuable information in those books, as well as trails being rated in order by difficulty. You'll have a good idea of something is within reach. If you're looking for more technical trails definitely check out Fins-n-Things and Hells Revenge (to the river overlook and back). These are iconic Moab trails.

JackalopeJL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU rubicon 6speed manual
Last week my son and I did Imogene up to Ouray for lunch, headed over black bear back into telluride to our camp site.. was about a 6 to 7 hr day. Don't rush though. The views are second to none. One of the best places I have ever been.
Jeep Wrangler JL Trip to Ouray and Moab September/October 2021 20210824_114355
Jeep Wrangler JL Trip to Ouray and Moab September/October 2021 20210824_173915
Jeep Wrangler JL Trip to Ouray and Moab September/October 2021 20210824_170157
Sponsored