Sponsored

2021 Willy's Sport EcoDiesel - Technology Bad?

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys/17 Ram 1500
I have been looking for a thread that talks about the base sport/Willys with a Diesel engine and found it. I am getting ready to order aWillys Sport with Diesel engine and was wondering how others like it. I am planning on some very minor mods after I drive it for 6 momths

From a technology stand point I would like the 7” screen instead of 5”. Has someone found a way to mount a IPad and use it for navigation or replaced the 5” with 7”.
Look at the market place. Tons of people have done it. You need the radio, the bezel and I believe the hvac controls... plug and play.
Sponsored

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Any of you guys with the Diesel have any updates on it after owning it for awhile? How's the reliability?

I planed on ordering a 2 door Rubicon. But I went to the dealership and saw a 2021 Willys. I really love the styling. Then I just found out you can order it (4 door) with a 3.0 Diesel. Such a bad ass combination IMO. I'm torn.

OP
OP
Tredsdert

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
JeepViking13,

I actually don't own a jeep yet. I will however be ordering mine this fall. I'm waiting to see if the 2022 model year has any better options than the 2021 model year. If you time it correctly, it can be possible to order either model year, but it also is reliant of some level of chance too. There's a decent chance I'll get stuck only being able to purchase a 2022, and then will pray you can still get a EcoDiesel on it with the Willys Sport trim.

More to your question, I've done an extensive amount of research into this trim and engine.
The major reasons to get a...

EcoDiesel:
Can run 37's without need for a regearing.
10,000 mi oil changes.
Engine runs hotter and can handle more extreme temperatures without loss of power, ie. You won't see any overheating in Moab on the hottest of days.
Good if most of your driving is highway. (For me 90% of my driving is highway).
Throatier exhaust sound.
If you live in Texas or other like-minded states, you won't ever have to do an emissions test, safety check only.
3:73 gearing.
It will idle up most obstacles, so take your foot off that pedal and let that Diesel shine!
Anti-slip differential.
*I've seen upwards of 33 mpg, but overall mileage unlike any Wrangler short of the 4xe.

Willys Sport:
Dumbed down on the technology, in the cabin at least.
Hand crank windows are super inexpensive to replace when they eventually break down. $25 for a manual window assembly (you can use generic parts) verses close to $1000 for the whole automatic window assembly including motor.
I'm sure the door weighs less too.
You get Rubicon Suspension, which means it's a little taller. Honestly this is the biggest reason to buy a Willys Sport! You can get an unlimited Sport with an EcoDiesel and all the same features and save about $700, but Rubicon Suspension would put you up another $2000, so you're technically saving money. It's a $45,000 vehicle regardless, but at least this way you can wait a year or two before you swap out the suspension for a 4" lift and 37" tires.
A/T tires standard!
Manual locks on all doors.
Anti-slip rear differential, the next best thing to lockers. There's actually a way to trick the ECU and turn this into a locking differential purely through wiring, but that's for a different thread.

Willys:
Honestly the only reason I can think of buying this trim is because you're either too lazy or incapable of installing your own LED lights.
Also you get a touch screen which you can't turn off and will blind you in the middle of the dark desert.
Oh, when your window motor goes, you can give bob the mechanic $800 to replace that.
You still get Rubicon Suspension, but you get a bunch a technology you don't need.
Honestly if you're going to buy this trim, just pay the extra $5,000 and get a Rubicon with front and rear lockers.

Edit - *

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
JeepViking13,

I actually don't own a jeep yet. I will however be ordering mine this fall. I'm waiting to see if the 2022 model year has any better options than the 2021 model year. If you time it correctly, it can be possible to order either model year, but it also is reliant of some level of chance too. There's a decent chance I'll get stuck only being able to purchase a 2022, and then will pray you can still get a EcoDiesel on it with the Willys Sport trim.

More to your question, I've done an extensive amount of research into this trim and engine.
The major reasons to get a...

EcoDiesel:
Can run 37's without need for a regearing.
10,000 mi oil changes.
Engine runs hotter and can handle more extreme temperatures without loss of power, ie. You won't see any overheating in Moab on the hottest of days.
Good if most of your driving is highway. (For me 90% of my driving is highway).
Throatier exhaust sound.
If you live in Texas or other like-minded states, you won't ever have to do an emissions test, safety check only.
3:73 gearing.
It will idle up most obstacles, so take your foot off that pedal and let that Diesel shine!
Anti-slip differential.
*I've seen upwards of 33 mpg, but overall mileage unlike any Wrangler short of the 4xe.

Willys Sport:
Dumbed down on the technology, in the cabin at least.
Hand crank windows are super inexpensive to replace when they eventually break down. $25 for a manual window assembly (you can use generic parts) verses close to $1000 for the whole automatic window assembly including motor.
I'm sure the door weighs less too.
You get Rubicon Suspension, which means it's a little taller. Honestly this is the biggest reason to buy a Willys Sport! You can get an unlimited Sport with an EcoDiesel and all the same features and save about $700, but Rubicon Suspension would put you up another $2000, so you're technically saving money. It's a $45,000 vehicle regardless, but at least this way you can wait a year or two before you swap out the suspension for a 4" lift and 37" tires.
A/T tires standard!
Manual locks on all doors.
Anti-slip rear differential, the next best thing to lockers. There's actually a way to trick the ECU and turn this into a locking differential purely through wiring, but that's for a different thread.

Willys:
Honestly the only reason I can think of buying this trim is because you're either too lazy or incapable of installing your own LED lights.
Also you get a touch screen which you can't turn off and will blind you in the middle of the dark desert.
Oh, when your window motor goes, you can give bob the mechanic $800 to replace that.
You still get Rubicon Suspension, but you get a bunch a technology you don't need.
Honestly if you're going to buy this trim, just pay the extra $5,000 and get a Rubicon with front and rear lockers.

Edit - *
I also plan on waiting for the 2022 models to be released for ordering. I figure it's right around corner so mise well. I have a feeling there will be upgrades to answer to the Bronco. I may be wrong but it's still worth I to wait and see at this point.

I really like the Willys package. I can't tell if you're for it or against it? Lol.. Maybe I'm reading the end of your post wrong. I'm wondering since the Diesel 3.0 package comes with the upgraded Rubicon coil springs and shocks if you can throw 35s on stock like you can with the Rubicon? I know the gas engine Willys you can't because it just has the shocks.

Either way for 37s I would think you only need the 2 inch Mopar lift. Not a 4 inch?

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
It's easy to find complaints about the diesel because people with problems tend to be vocal. People like me who haven't had any problems so far don't really post regularly about how there aren't any issues. Granted, I'm still at under 4K miles on mine but it's been fine. A lot of people have tens of thousands of trouble free miles.

The only thing less than positive I can say is that it's consuming DEF fluid faster than advertised (your mileage may vary). But from what I understand, once it's fully broken in that should improve. We will see how that goes.

OP
OP
Tredsdert

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I also plan on waiting for the 2022 models to be released for ordering. I figure it's right around corner so mise well. I have a feeling there will be upgrades to answer to the Bronco. I may be wrong but it's still worth I to wait and see at this point.

I really like the Willys package. I can't tell if you're for it or against it? Lol.. Maybe I'm reading the end of your post wrong. I'm wondering since the Diesel 3.0 package comes with the upgraded Rubicon coil springs and shocks if you can throw 35s on stock like you can with the Rubicon? I know the gas engine Willys you can't because it just has the shocks.

Either way for 37s I would think you only need the 2 inch Mopar lift. Not a 4 inch?
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Willy's Sport EcoDiesel - Technology Bad? Screenshot_20210813-160036~2
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Willy's Sport EcoDiesel - Technology Bad? Screenshot_20210813-160122~2

Lol, I'm not really a fan of the Willys trim, but I am a fan of the Willys Sport trim, they are two different trims. Willys Sport is an upgraded Wrangler Sport, whereas the Willys is an upgraded Wrangler Sport S. Basically the Willys comes with more technology standard, LED lights, and more upgrade options, whereas the Willys Sport is the basic manual non-technological version. They both have Rubicon Suspension and A/T tires but also a $2000 base price difference.

Yeah, I believe only need a 2in lift to fit 37's, but I like the look of the 4in lift Teraflex Lift.

I've never hear of the Willys nor Willys Sport having a 35" tire option. I believe they come standard with 33" tires, or it might be 32". Either way, bigger than the 29's on the base Wrangler Sport.

What's your daily driving look like?
I would say you shouldn't believe all the hype from people who say you can drive it short distances. Honestly, it's still a Diesel, even if it's an EcoDiesel. Which means you should let the engine idle up to temp for bout 15 minutes when you first start it. And let it idle down for two minutes after. You don't have too, but your engine will last so much longer if you do.

*Edit - I lied, it's a $5000 difference for LED head and tail lights. 🤣

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Willy's Sport EcoDiesel - Technology Bad? Screenshot_20210813-160122~2

Lol, I'm not really a fan of the Willys trim, but I am a fan of the Willys Sport trim, they are two different trims. Willys Sport is an upgraded Wrangler Sport, whereas the Willys is an upgraded Wrangler Sport S. Basically the Willys comes with more technology standard, LED lights, and more upgrade options, whereas the Willys Sport is the basic manual non-technological version. They both have Rubicon Suspension and A/T tires but also a $2000 base price difference.

Yeah, I believe only need a 2in lift to fit 37's, but I like the look of the 4in lift Teraflex Lift.

I've never hear of the Willys nor Willys Sport having a 35" tire option. I believe they come standard with 33" tires, or it might be 32". Either way, bigger than the 29's on the base Wrangler Sport.

What's your daily driving look like?
I would say you shouldn't believe all the hype from people who say you can drive it short distances. Honestly, it's still a Diesel, even if it's an EcoDiesel. Which means you should let the engine idle up to temp for bout 15 minutes when you first start it. And let it idle down for two minutes after. You don't have too, but your engine will last so much longer if you do.

*Edit - I lied, it's a $5000 difference for LED head and tail lights. 🤣
If I go Willys over the Rubicon I'm going with the Willys Sport. I really like it. Throw in the Diesel and I feel like its a pretty rugged bad ass Jeep. It's going to be a hard choice between that or the 2 door gas Rubicon.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
It's easy to find complaints about the diesel because people with problems tend to be vocal. People like me who haven't had any problems so far don't really post regularly about how there aren't any issues. Granted, I'm still at under 4K miles on mine but it's been fine. A lot of people have tens of thousands of trouble free miles.

The only thing less than positive I can say is that it's consuming DEF fluid faster than advertised (your mileage may vary). But from what I understand, once it's fully broken in that should improve. We will see how that goes.
What your spec with the Diesel? What model? How good is it off road?

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
What your spec with the Diesel? What model? How good is it off road?
It's a Rubicon with no lift on 35s with Metal Cloak skids. Stock otherwise. It wheels as well as any Jeep. It's really good at low speed crawling. It idles over rocks well.

Sponsored

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
It's a Rubicon with no lift on 35s with Metal Cloak skids. Stock otherwise. It wheels as well as any Jeep. It's really good at low speed crawling. It idles over rocks well.
Nice. Unfortunately for me I can't afford both the Rubicon and the Diesel engine together.

So I have to chose either 4 door Willys Diesel or 2 door Gas Rubicon.

This is going to be hard.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Nice. Unfortunately for me I can't afford both the Rubicon and the Diesel engine together.

So I have to chose either 4 door Willys Diesel or 2 door Gas Rubicon.

This is going to be hard.
Get the diesel. It's easier to add lockers and bigger tires with a lift later.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Get the diesel. It's easier to add lockers and bigger tires with a lift later.
I know I just don't see myself going with aftermarket lockers. I like everything stock or made by Jeep under warranty.

If I go lift it would be the 2 inch Mopar.

With that said now what would you chose?

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I know I just don't see myself going with aftermarket lockers. I like everything stock or made by Jeep under warranty.

If I go lift it would be the 2 inch Mopar.

With that said now what would you chose?
Only you can make your decision for you.

Ask yourself how you prioritize the two parts and make your own choice.

You could also save up for a bigger down payment for a year or two.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Only you can make your decision for you.

Ask yourself how you prioritize the two parts and make your own choice.

You could also save up for a bigger down payment for a year or two.
I know. When I'm split on something I just like to hear opinions especially with people with experience owning the vehicles.
Sponsored