Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogue Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon
Ford can’t hide behind the pandemic. They managed a pretty smooth Bronco Sport launch during the same time.
Um, because the Bronco Sport is very strongly based on an existing vehicle, the Escape. The Bronco is much more a brand new vehicle, which is a lot harder than badge-engineering.

Ford screwed up by making too many promises too early, like I said. But I worked in the auto industry for many years and still have a lot of friends at all of the Detroit 3. This pandemic has screwed a lot of stuff up outside of their control, and you really can't blame Ford for cancelling semiconductors early in 2020 when you recall how badly the 2008 recession went for the auto industry when they *didn't* react fast enough.

But hey, don't let me get in the way of the Ford bashing.
Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
The Bronco launch wasn't failed so much as over-promised initially and then various delays, some of which were out of Ford's control (Covid) happened. I dunno why so many companies from autos to video games, announce launch dates too far in advance to be sure they will happen. Delays are normal, but once you've committed to a date you'll be held accountable to it.
You hit the nail on the head right here... the Bronco is the Cyberpunk 2077 of the automobile industry. In development for a decade, wildly overhyped, buggy on release and ultimately a big disappointment.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
There’s some sort of pandemic every 25 years; a major one every 100 years.

Ford took so freaking long developing Bronco that it was only a matter of time until it ran into the next one. 😫

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Um, because the Bronco Sport is very strongly based on an existing vehicle, the Escape. The Bronco is much more a brand new vehicle, which is a lot harder than badge-engineering.

Ford screwed up by making too many promises too early, like I said. But I worked in the auto industry for many years and still have a lot of friends at all of the Detroit 3. This pandemic has screwed a lot of stuff up outside of their control, and you really can't blame Ford for cancelling semiconductors early in 2020 when you recall how badly the 2008 recession went for the auto industry when they *didn't* react fast enough.

Oh don’t worry. I won’t.

the Bronco is based on the Ranger platform so not really an all-new vehicle. It’s not like Ford has never built a truck before.

and again they are releasing the Maverick at this time and Jeep is releasing all new vehicles too. It’s what automakers do.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
At the risk of being called a Bronco troll, I hope it’s rumor and not fact they’re stopping production. I wish every SUV manufacturer made a version of the Wrangler. It can only be good for us Jeep fans. As someone stated earlier, do you think we’d even have the 392 option if Ford wasn’t doing a more powerful engine?
Think about it, if Ford decided to give up on the Bronco, Stellantis could just sit back in their chairs, hand behind heads, charge us what they want and not make any improvements.
Us sheep will just keep lining up to buy em too!

Sponsored

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
At the risk of being called a Bronco troll, I hope it’s rumor and not fact they’re stopping production. I wish every SUV manufacturer made a version of the Wrangler. It can only be good for us Jeep fans. As someone stated earlier, do you think we’d even have the 392 option if Ford wasn’t doing a more powerful engine?
Think about it, if Ford decided to give up on the Bronco, Stellantis could just sit back in their chairs, hand behind heads, charge us what they want and not make any improvements.
They are stopping production of hard tops and doing a redesign. Hardtops will again be made in December.
Until then they will produce only soft top Broncos. Anyone with an old hardtop will have it replaced free of charge.

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Oh don’t worry. I won’t.

the Bronco is based on the Ranger platform so not really an all-new vehicle. It’s not like Ford has never built a truck before.

and again they are releasing the Maverick at this time and Jeep is releasing all new vehicles too. It’s what automakers do.
Bronco is based on the NEW Ranger platform not the old.

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
OP - nice review. It will certainly sell well once they get their manufacturing in order.

I just can’t get past the poor quality of materials that Ford chose to use, specifically on the interior and the hardtop. Squeaky plastics and leaky roofs are deal breakers, but congrats to the Ford guys for finally getting their Bronco back.
Roof doesn’t leak but can have rattles and clicks which have possible remedies I’m reading about.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
They are stopping production of hard tops and doing a redesign. Hardtops will again be made in December.
Until then they will produce only soft top Broncos. Anyone with an old hardtop will have it replaced free of charge.
According to posts on Bronco6G, it appears to be much more serious than that: Bronco production is being mothballed. Bronco’s painting area is being sand bagged, and the assembly line will be put to making Rangers for the rest of 2021.

Meanwhile, Bronco’s hardtop will be redesigned.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt Ford is giving up on Bronco. Ford’s own reputation and executives’ careers are on the line.

But I sure hope it takes Bronco production more seriously going forward. Ford got so fixated with beating Jeep, that it believed its own hype and thought it could do nothing wrong.

Scaling back the marketing and all the hype would be a good start.

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
ultimately a big disappointment.
Jumping the gun there a bit. Or perhaps just vague language.

I would say the Bronco's launch, clearly, has been a disappointment.

The vehicle itself seems to be receiving darn good reviews from most outlets and (lucky) owners, though the latter is to be expected.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe

During the same time period, Jeep launched the 4xe and 392 instead of making excuses.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
How is launching the same vehicle with a different power plant analogous to launching a brand-new vehicle?
There's much more to redesign than just the engine. Suspension tweaks for the 392 and battery-placement, wiring, larger transmission, etc... for the 4xe. Heck, the 4xe might be a more complex change to the JL than the Bronco is from the Ranger.

The excuses listed on this forum (Covid, Chip shortage, etc....) affect ALL vehicles produced. The design and pre launch planning should have been done BEFORE covid ever happened. It's purely a drop of the ball between engineering and manufacturing. Whoever was in charge of this launch failed miserably.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The Bronco6G thread was 56 pages long by this morning. The admins locked it and put a redirect to a new thread that contains Ford’s official comuniqué.

When I go Auto News, I see the exact same one-way communication coming out of Ford PR.

This is the kind of stuff that drives me bonkers about how Ford controls everything that has to do with Bronco. Just wished Ford was as effective managing its suppliers and its own production as it is controlling the flow of information.

If I were a customer waiting for my Bronco, I’d be screaming at my dealer at this point.

This was one of the last posts to be allowed:

“I see this as Ford using Webasto as a whipping boy to cover up their own cluck-up.
After all, the MIC top is Ford's engineering design, produced on equipment Ford owns, using commodities and processes Ford specified. Folks circling 2023 on their calendars for a Modular top should recognize that product was developed by the same Ford staff who brought you the famous MIC.
My guess from afar is that Farley tried to quickly make his reputation by cutting corners and understaffing critical areas of the organization. His chickens have come home to roost.”
My thoughts exactly.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.