Sponsored

Ready to place my order!!

kittykat2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Hi! Lots of firsts today! First time jeep buyer and first forum :giggle: ever!! Wanted a jeep for as long as I can remember. Turned 50 recently and I'm finally getting one! I've been researching for about 6 months and it's time to bite the bullet. Just need a little help from the wiser, more experienced owners out there. Yes, I'm old enough to know when I don't know everything (don't tell my kids)!

I'll be getting a Willys (Firecracker Red). Originally I was sold on the one touch power roof (for ease of opening) but deep down, I've always wanted the option to have the top completely down. I like the convenience of the one touch button though. I am leaning toward getting a soft top and replacing it with a MyTop. I haven't come across any similar products by any other manufacturers. I'd love to hear from anyone who has a MyTop (or competitor version); good, bad, regrets? I've read that the windows tend to scratch easily. True, not true? Can you still use cargo space in back with MyTop down?

Next, there are so many options for running boards/side steps (single long step, two smaller steps, nerf bars, tube steps, etc) jeep manufactured, after market purchases.... I'm on the short side so I definitely want some sort of step. Suggestions? Or, is it just a preference thing really?

Any packages you'd highly recommend (upgraded audio, safety packages, etc)? Any other suggestions? Am I too old for a jeep (had to ask.....my husband is not a fan of this decision!!!)

Truly appreciate your thoughts!!
Sponsored

Walter_Mustang

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Willys Sport 4 door
Are you able to place an order now? I was going to order my wife a Rubicon and was advised it would be October before it could be done. It would have to be a 2022. The Gladiator forum confirmed this with production starting in December. If you can still place an order...that is awesome!

OP
OP

kittykat2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Are you able to place an order now? I was going to order my wife a Rubicon and was advised it would be October before it could be done. It would have to be a 2022. The Gladiator forum confirmed this with production starting in December. If you can still place an order...that is awesome!

OP
OP

kittykat2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Good question! I've read some of the other posts about orders taking 3-4 months to be completed. It seems like the shipping to the destination is the holdup. I'm from Toledo (lol, try not to laugh!) but the Jeep factory is literally a couple miles away. I am assuming most people go through their local Jeep dealership to place their orders....I will contact mine today to ask.

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Please go to the Toledo plant and ask them how the hell they schedule the production of the Wranglers. If you can find that out for us, you'd be THE MOST famous and popular person in this forum! Some folks have ordered back in April/May/June and are still waiting for their Wranglers to be built and others have ordered in July and are already taking delivery! Maybe you can get a tour over there and ask the question? ;)

Sponsored

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
I am so happy for you, and firecracker red is a great color, its timeless and eye catching . I will say that when i bought mine, I avoided the matching fenders and roof, it was just too much red.

1. As far as opinions on factory options, tell us what you want to do with it and how you like to drive (e.g. dirt devil or a pavement princess)
  2. Are you a manual girl or do you subscribe to the Ron Popeil method of driving (i.e. "set it, and forget it")
  3. What type of environment to you live in, what will you be driving over? (E.g. snow, sand, the crushed dreams of new Bronco owners, etc)
Without knowing anything else, I will say the consensus is to get LEDs from the factory or be ready to get aftermarket ones (unless u live in a snowy environment). After 40, the eyes physically change and we need more light to see well at night. The review by the NTSB pushed me towards LEDs.

I am excited for your upcoming purchase!

Last edited:

CMF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 2021 SAHARA (that my wife lets me drive on the weekends..sometimes.)
We got the One Touch on my wife's jeep last year and I absolutely love it. I get the 'full open air' experience is lost, but the convenience of it is awesome. It looks like Jeep is back to offering the Sun n Sound option on the Willy, which is exactly what we got. Sky One Touch and Alpine system and a few other things. My dream is blue Willy's with the One Touch, we'll see.....

Thashef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Hydro Blue
I'll be getting a Willys (Firecracker Red). Originally I was sold on the one touch power roof (for ease of opening) but deep down, I've always wanted the option to have the top completely down. I like the convenience of the one touch button though. I am leaning toward getting a soft top and replacing it with a MyTop. I haven't come across any similar products by any other manufacturers. I'd love to hear from anyone who has a MyTop (or competitor version); good, bad, regrets? I've read that the windows tend to scratch easily. True, not true? Can you still use cargo space in back with MyTop down?
I went through this exact debate 2 weeks ago when I placed my order for JLUR. After much debate I went with Soft Top and plan on replacing to myTop in like a year or so. My previous Jeep (18' JLUS) had Soft and Hard top and hated the hard top. I love the look of the top down just like and financially it made more sense as I can always sell the soft top and recoup atleast 1k which would put the myTop at 3k, which is not bad.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I ordered a Sahara Altitude back in June, took delivery in July, and have already put 3K miles on it. Here's what I learned:
  1. As long as you're absolutely POSITIVE that you'll never want a hard top, you're good. If you get a soft top from the factory, they WILL NOT install the wiring/tubing for the hard top rear windshield wiper. Which means if you decide later to get a hard top, you'll have to get those items installed, which will be labor-intensive, running them the full length of the vehicle. Obviously your call, just making sure you're aware.
  2. I wouldn't buy steps from the factory. As you mentioned, there are tons of other options aftermarket, and the labor cost to install is basically zero - it's *really* easy to do yourself. My general rule of thumb is to only order options from the factory that are either A) more expensive or B) extremely labor intensive or C) both to do via aftermarket.
    1. This is also why I didn't opt for the LED headlights package. Easier/cheaper to do later.
  3. Other option recommendations totally depend on you, how you're going to use the thing, etc. Personally, I went with the audio package and both safety packages, in addition to the cold weather package, because my Sahara will be a mixed-used vehicle. Daily driver 95% of the time with weekend off-roading trips, or a few family road-trips to fun wheeling destinations throughout the year, so I (and my wife) need to be comfortable getting to and from the trails, in addition to being capable on the trails.
  4. The remote proximity is niiiiiice - highly recommended. I never take my key out of my pocket, which is good cause the key is ma-hoo-ssive.

And no, regardless of how old you actually are, you are not too old for a Jeep.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Hi! Lots of firsts today! First time jeep buyer and first forum :giggle: ever!! Wanted a jeep for as long as I can remember. Turned 50 recently and I'm finally getting one! I've been researching for about 6 months and it's time to bite the bullet. Just need a little help from the wiser, more experienced owners out there. Yes, I'm old enough to know when I don't know everything (don't tell my kids)!

Next, there are so many options for running boards/side steps (single long step, two smaller steps, nerf bars, tube steps, etc) jeep manufactured, after market purchases.... I'm on the short side so I definitely want some sort of step. Suggestions? Or, is it just a preference thing really?

Any packages you'd highly recommend (upgraded audio, safety packages, etc)? Any other suggestions? Am I too old for a jeep (had to ask.....my husband is not a fan of this decision!!!)

1. Never too old.
2. Good job researching well in advance of purchase. There are more than a few horror stories on this board of people who purchased impulsively and regretted either buying the wrong build or paying too much.
3. The MyTop will always consume more space than an OEM soft top, and the line of sight is not as good either. Not sure if this matters to you, but it can get tight in the back with the roof back, and some shorter people (as you say you are) may have some difficulty seeing over it. The MyTop is more difficult to remove fully when its time to get naked. That said, you may also have difficulty putting the OEM soft top up and down unless you have good steps.
4. I'd recommend boards/steps of some kind depending on your intended usage. Willys can kick up more rocks with their aggressive mud tire tread, and it would be a shame to scratch up the firecracker prematurely unless you're planning on trail riding it.
5. I have the Alpine upgrade and love it. I passed on the proximity key and have come to regret it, and so have my neighbors since I've triggered the alarm system by accident numerous times at 5AM because of the unnecessarily large fob and buttons. The tow package is reasonably priced option and expensive to add aftermarket - if you plan on hauling bikes, cargo racks or trailers it could be worth the money.

EDIT: cold weather package. You are a Buckeye, it gets cold there. Also, it allows you to throw the roof back later into the fall than you would without it.

Have fun. Good luck.

Sponsored

jeeeeeeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The one MyTop I have seen in person looked awful - floppy, poor fitting, etc.

The OEM soft top isn't bad to take down - definitely not a one touch, but still not bad.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

First of all, Happy belated Birthday! Your husband is not a fan of your decision to buy a Wrangler now but I suspect he will be once you get it. They are addictive.

At this point I would consider waiting maybe a month or two to order. That way you get a 2022 model. You are in OH? That's within a reasonable driving distance to one of the lowest price dealers in the nation. Gupton Motors in Springfield TN. They are selling for 6%-8% UNDER INVOICE if you have an Affiliate memebrship. You can always sign up to Tread Lightly for a $100 donation for the same benefits if you do not work for a Affiliate company. That can be very substantial depending on what your local dealers are selling for. Some member save over $6K+ from their local dealers. Worth the inquiry for sure.

I would consider the factory OneTouch over the MyTop. The MyTop in theory is a excellent product where you have a power soft top. In reality I wonder if it really is? Check with their warranty. You get the factory warranty with the OneTouch.

Running boards and side steps are personal preference. The factory plastic one integrates really well. It also prevents rocks and debris from kicking up and sad blasting your rear door and rear hinges. Most aftermarket metal ones will not deflect those stones the knobby Willys tires will kick up.

The radio and infotainment can have glitches but I still would recommend it. Hopefully there is a software fix by the time you take delivery. My favorite options are the larger 8.4" infotainment with Alpine stereo upgrade, LED headlights, Proximity Locks. It's nice not to ever have to reach into a pocket, bag or purse for the remote. The cold weather package is nice also. Its nice to have warm seats and steering wheel in the winter and on cooler days with the top down. Consider the Selec-Trac also if you drive in the winter. It's nice to just set it and forget it for the 4x4. That verses pulling a lever and changing between 2x4 and 4x4 manually.

There are TONS of aftermarket items so pace yourself. :CWL: I recommend getting all weather floor mats. The Mopar ones are nice and there are other options like Weather Tech. I also recommend getting relocating mirrors for when you remove the doors. I believe Mopar has a factory option now but there are lots to choose from aftermarket.

Also check with your insurance about windshield damage coverage. Get a low deductible if possible. Wrangler windshields are super fragile. Your likely going to break or crack one in your lifetime. Maybe more than one.

Check and see if someone in your household works for any of these companies.
https://www.fcausaffiliates.com/content/dam/affiliate-rewards/docs/companylocator.pdf

Or join Tread Lightly.
https://treadlightly.org/about-us/faqs/

Ask for Dan Gupton and tell him your a forum member.
https://www.guptonmotors.com/

Last edited:

LostSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
future JLUR
Packages (for Ohio):
1. cold weather
2. Trailer - tow package
3. Safety
4. LED Headlamp kit - yes pricey, but if you cant do it yourself, well worth it.
5. If your Jeep will be living outside, the engine block heater is a great option.

If you go with an automatic transmission:
1. Get the Selec-trac Full time 4WD system

Last edited:

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
Packages (for Ohio):
1. cold weather
2. Trailer - tow package
3. Safety
4. LED Headlamp kit - yes pricey, but if you cant do it yourself, well worth it.

If you go with an automatic transmission:
1. Get the Selec-trac Full time 4WD system
All good suggestions EXCEPT don't go with the auto. ;)

Oh and get mudflaps or paint protection tape for your hinges. Less than a 100 mi into my new ride and my hinges looked like the surface if the moon, and i never went off road...as a result i did both the flaps and tape.

Also your paint will never look better, so I suggest a diy ceramic coating as soon as possible.

Best Mud Flaps

Pre cut Hinge Tape

DIY Ceramic Coating

Last edited:
OP
OP

kittykat2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Please go to the Toledo plant and ask them how the hell they schedule the production of the Wranglers. If you can find that out for us, you'd be THE MOST famous and popular person in this forum! Some folks have ordered back in April/May/June and are still waiting for their Wranglers to be built and others have ordered in July and are already taking delivery! Maybe you can get a tour over there and ask the question? ;)

LOL. So, I called the Jeep plant to pose some of these questions.....here's what I found out: 1) Nope, no tours available 😢 2) Over 900 jeeps are manufactured daily between 2 shifts 3) Custom orders are completed fairly quickly, the wait all has to do with getting them to their destination. They are either placed on trucks or trains depending on where they're going and they won't send them until they have a complete load. The average right now is about 8-12 weeks ("some take longer, some get there sooner"). Chip shortages so far have not been a big issue with the Wranglers because they are so popular; Gladiators had a shortage last week. 4)Supposedly, being in Toledo doesn't really guarantee earlier delivery but she did kind of say it would "probably get there faster" ?? 5) 2022's are starting soon and there may be a "fun pink" color coming out ("not pepto bismol pink, but like a metallic pink") - for those interested :clap:!

Hope that helps! Good luck!
Sponsored