Sponsored

STRUGGLING - 2.0 Turbo vs V6 AND Manual vs Auto

Whicch drivetrain combination for 35"-37" tires on a JL Unlimited Rubicon?

• Total voters

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
^^^^^^This right here. I see so many of us, ME INCLUDED, looking for the perfect combo that will help is more easily navigate that 26’ section of trail we/I think about while forgetting about all of the other driving we do.

My current order and planned build will be more than capable on blavk diamond or 5 start rated trails but my focus is on the tens of thousands of street miles I will put on it.
We live within sight of some of the greatest trails in the country. The focus was not on that because any of them can do trails. The focus was on daily driving fun and I can not imagine choosing an auto trans when the sweet little six speed manual is a choice. 3.6 six speed, 3 months and closing in on 3000 miles in, on Black Bear Pass yesterday, LOVING the V6 manual.
Sponsored

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
We live within sight of some of the greatest trails in the country. The focus was not on that because any of them can do trails. The focus was on daily driving fun and I can not imagine choosing an auto trans when the sweet little six speed manual is a choice. 3.6 six speed, 3 months and closing in on 3000 miles in, on Black Bear Pass yesterday, LOVING the V6 manual.
I can fully understand that. Manuals are fun and the V6 is a good engine.

In my case, I chose the 2.0T for the extra day to day torque.

I bet a 2.0T with a manual would be a ton of fun as a DD but obviously it is not an option.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I can fully understand that. Manuals are fun and the V6 is a good engine.

In my case, I chose the 2.0T for the extra day to day torque.

I bet a 2.0T with a manual would be a ton of fun as a DD but obviously it is not an option.
I much prefer the sound and smoothness of the V6 over a thrumming 4 cyl turbo, the 2.0 was never on my radar. The actual acceleration times are almost too close to call. Even at my 8000 ft elevation I find the V6 has more power than any Jeep really needs. We will probably keep this Jeep a long time as the options seem to be moving away from my preferences.

I am glad you are happy with your choice!

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
I much prefer the sound and smoothness of the V6 over a thrumming 4 cyl turbo, the 2.0 was never on my radar.
Ugh...that's putting it nicely

I had my V6 at a stoplight next to another wrangler with the 2.0 turbo. I was topless/doorless and for some reason he wanted to race 🤷‍♂️ ( I had no interest whatsoever)

However....what I did notice was that little 4-banger just screaming....and not sounding very smooth at all. I'll steal someone else's feedback from when I did my research months ago....the 2.0 has pep, but it's not refined at all

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order

I had my V6 at a stoplight next to another wrangler with the 2.0 turbo. I was topless/doorless and for some reason he wanted to race 🤷‍♂️ ( I had no interest whatsoever)

However....what I did notice was that little 4-banger just screaming....and not sounding very smooth at all. I'll steal someone else's feedback from when I did my research months ago....the 2.0 has pep, but it's not refined at all
The v6 is indeed more refined, especially when first running in the morning, but the 2.0 will absolutely blow away the v6 when driving at high altitudes. In normal driving the 2.0l is surprisingly refined and the gas mileage is marginally better…I would not buy the v6 over the 2.0. I guess we all have our opinions…

Sponsored

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
Winner winner chicken dinner is a 3.6 manual with a 4.56 or 4.88 rear end and an aftermarket supercharger.

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR

I said pep… its spritely… it wants to go when you give it some ginger, almost obnoxiously so.

which is why i wonder why the rev hang gets so much hate. I think the design perspective was so that you could ride the clutch out of a bog or sand pit without digging in deeper or stalling. (Scratches head)

for a daily, 2.0 in an auto, OBVIOUSLY. But for a weekend car… egghhh… the pep will get obnoxious; ‘what’s your hurry mr jeep, you delivering pizzas or something?!??’

So yes, for a daily or soccer mom, its a 2.0 auto. For a gruffly old man’s toy, something to drive down some sh!thole of a road and kick up some dust, 6sp manual (only in the V6).

nevermind that if you go beyond 35”-ers, youll be wanting to regear and TCU-tune anyway.

now, if they mated the diesel with a bulk manual trans… and got ride of all that wussy-a$$ environmental limiting horsesh!t… mmm, id empty my pockets!

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Manual is fun and great, but manual in JLs are not fun.
1.Recall after recall, took them 2.5 month to replaced my clutch and now another recall, to reprogram/ cut power so the pressure plate won’t overheat.
2. Rev-hang. 1st and 2rd are horrible, you either wait forever to let the rpm drop or slipping your clutch.
3. Clutch feel is not that great, not a enjoyable driving machine at least.
4. They still haven’t figure out the clutch issue yet.
I respect your honesty, most manual owners don't acknowledge all the issues and recalls the JL has had to deal with. As for my experience I didn't like the lag in power off the line and in the passing lane at high elevations for the manual and auto NA V6... Seems like the only solution for making the na v6 tolerable at high altitudes is to regear. For me the Turbo is the perfect choice for mountain living and playing. The etorque turbo COMBO really helps to smooth out the shifting. ITS LIKE DRIVING A SPORTS CAR THAT CAN GO ANYWHERE 😉

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
Manual is fun and great, but manual in JLs are not fun.
1.Recall after recall, took them 2.5 month to replaced my clutch and now another recall, to reprogram/ cut power so the pressure plate won’t overheat.
  1. Cant speak to this as i haven't experienced it, maybe my engine has been neutered already. Give them some credit, at least they did push out a fix. Keep in mind they still haven't figured out how to order locker sensors seperate from the axles.
2. Rev-hang. 1st and 2rd are horrible, you either wait forever to let the rpm drop or slipping your clutch.
  1. I have no rev hang, there is another post on thus where other newer MT owners confirned this is no longer happening
3. Clutch feel is not that great, not a enjoyable driving machine at least.
  1. This is always going to be subjective, but i can state that it feels like every other hydraulic clutch i have ever driven. It is smooth and consistent. I love the feel of the manual linkage on my 70 challenger but those days are gone for good.
4. They still haven’t figure out the clutch issue yet.
  1. Not sure what is left to figure out. I have had no issues, and I have driven it like my challenger every day since i cleared break-in. Maybe others are having issues, but some that also has to be user error.
I don't like to get into arguements about whose dad can beat up whose dad, but I also think that things may have changed since the above statements were once true.

I am not sure of your rig's configuration, and I am not calling you out. I am simply adding my observations on a late model 2021 Rubicon 3.6 MT that was delivered on 28Jun2021. My specific responses to your issues are defined above, but overall this thing has been a blast so far and everyone I have let drive it, loves it and wants one.

Yes, I have heard the MT with the 3.56:1 is crap and I believe them, but the 4.10 pairs nicely with the 33s. With that said if I were to go bigger tires i would regear.

Fact is we are likely in the last years/ decades of manual transmissions, if u ever thought you wanted one, get it while you can. Once ICEs are outdated/ outpriced/ outlawed, the debate over AT vs MT will become a moot point, then we can argue about manual driving vs auto driving.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Not having any of the reported issues with the manual V6 combo either. Clutch works great, never had any rev hang, the Jeep is great fun to drive in all conditions, in town, in the mountains, on the trail. With the 4.10 Rubi gearing it is a near perfect combo.

The idea that the V6 doesn't work at altitude is comical to me. I live at 8000 feet, half of my driving is above that, half down to about 6000 feet. There is no problem with the power, I could speed like a maniac everywhere if I so desired and I would sound a lot cooler doing it.

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I sure hope OP has settled on a decision in the past two years since making this thread 😂
Not a single person in the last three days was responding to the OP... Threads come and go. I think what is funny is that you thought nobody noticed the age of the original thread and felt the need to comment:CWL:

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
perhaps I'm bias but I'd go with the manual and your only choice then is a V6. Can't go wrong with that proven engine..

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Not having any of the reported issues with the manual V6 combo either. Clutch works great, never had any rev hang, the Jeep is great fun to drive in all conditions, in town, in the mountains, on the trail. With the 4.10 Rubi gearing it is a near perfect combo.
I too have had none of the reported issues. Absolutely love how the 3.6/6 speed with 4.10 gears drives on and off road. It seems FCA listened and got rid of the rev hang. No issues with clutch feel or power. None at all.