Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

The problem is you are trying to sell a Jeep that sells new for $63k-7.5$ tax credit for $63k. Post it up for $55-56 and it will probably sell. Your plan to pocket that $7500 as profit is probably not going to work.
Just want to clarify that this is only kind of true, if you don't use the tax definition of 'owe'. If the amount you 'owe to the government end of year' and the amount that you've already paid in the form of income taxes is greater than 7500, you get the full amount of the credit.

Nonrefundable vs refundable credits refers to the government giving you back more money that you've paid in federal income taxes all year (refundable) or not (nonrefundable).

A scenario where the refundable vs nonrefundable matters would be a person on a fixed or low income (sub 60k per year) who purchases a 4xe with pre-existing, non income funds, a horrendous financing rate or an underwriter asleep at the wheel. They would not be able to receive the full 7500, because they do not pay at least 7500 in federal income taxes. They would still receive up to the full amount of their actual federal income tax as a refund though, it would just not get to the full 7500.
Just want to clarify that this is only kind of true, if you don't use the tax definition of 'owe'. If the amount you 'owe to the government end of year' and the amount that you've already paid in the form of income taxes is greater than 7500, you get the full amount of the credit.

Nonrefundable vs refundable credits refers to the government giving you back more money that you've paid in federal income taxes all year (refundable) or not (nonrefundable).

A scenario where the refundable vs nonrefundable matters would be a person on a fixed or low income (sub 60k per year) who purchases a 4xe with pre-existing, non income funds, a horrendous financing rate or an underwriter asleep at the wheel. They would not be able to receive the full 7500, because they do not pay at least 7500 in federal income taxes. They would still receive up to the full amount of their actual federal income tax as a refund though, it would just not get to the full 7500.
low income
Part of the problem is that many people have no idea what they actually got for their trade…. This is especially true when the dealer is providing financing. Dealers routinely inflate the trade price shown to make the buyer feel better about the deal, but the money is made up from other profit centers, like margin in the new vehicle, financing kickbacks, and factory to dealer rebates, “advertising support”, and other incentives. That’s why I stopped trading years ago. I sell my used vehicle, often via consignment, and buy the new one. This saves a TON of money and leaves me knowing what I actually paid.

These are strange times because of the unique supply and demand balance, so people have gotten crazy high prices for used vehicles, but that doesn’t equate to being able to sell your used vehicle for a crazy price when similar new vehicles are available within two or three months, or sooner.
[/QUOTE

So true, once a dealer gives you a “trade in” number, tell them to buy it on the spot for the number and you promise to come back tomorrow and buy the new one.

The only reason to trade in is if you don’t have the time to sell it on your own if a dealer actually put the true number on your contract most buyers wouldn’t do the deal.
Sponsored

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

So, I asked my accountant about this because in the case I decide not to keep my order but my dealer won't refund my deposit, I'd sell after it gets titled to me through the DMV. Her response was that because it would be titled to me as a personal vehicle and I'm not in the business of vehicle sales (and certainly would not make a profit from the sale), even if I sell it quickly afterwards it won't count as resale. There is no minimum ownership time requirement. Your accountant may have a different answer, but that's what mine said.
What state are you in? California dealers can’t keep your deposit.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Give this older gentlemen a call. He appears to be giving a thumbs up to the 4xe and saying "woooooo doggy". He may forget what he's buying a few times during the sale though.
Jeep Wrangler JL Selling my 4xe 1628253757451

Last edited:
OP
OP

Hoopster3

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Give this older gentlemen a call. He appears to be giving a thumbs up to the 4xe and saying "woooooo doggy". He may forget what he's buying a few times during the sale though.
I called him. He's trying to use the stimulus money that was sent as his down-payment, so no go.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Just don't let his son do the test drive.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
My local dealer has 3 4xe's in stock right now. A loaded Rubicon for $66k, a pretty loaded Rubicon for $64k and a Sahara for $58k. Those are their listed prices online, in my experience with them you can talk them down $3-5k from there. We will call that $60k...before $12k in federal, state and local rebates and I could pick it up right now. Don't ignore the 0% interest and no payments for 90 days that Jeep's offering right now either, as you won't get those buying used. Your price is too high period.

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
I would not pay msrp or above for no truck even if Jesus drove it. My dealer had 2 repo’d hybrids on thier lot now. No where near that much. Both Sahara trim.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I would not pay msrp or above for no truck even if Jesus drove it. My dealer had 2 repo’d hybrids on thier lot now. No where near that much. Both Sahara trim.
I don’t know man, if Jesus drove it, that tailgate plaque probably shows the Jeep sitting on top of the water, not how deep it can ford. Might increase resale.

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
I don’t know man, if Jesus drove it, that tailgate plaque probably shows the Jeep sitting on top of the water, not how deep it can ford. Might increase resale.
Lol IF the right one was put on at the factory.

Sponsored

summer4x

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I’m in the RV business and we get trucks on trade with fifth wheel trailers. Late model dually diesel 4x4 trucks are being auctioned as much as 5-8,000 less today vs 30 days ago.
Really love the insight. I'd love for you to keep us posted on this. My anecdotal evidence shows extreme softening in used vehicle prices, which is also supported by Manheim showing an almost 3% drop in auction prices in a month.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
8 pages? Wow. Nice job OP. Helluva response to your question.
This is a thread that appeals to all kinds of complainers: It's great for the electric deniers, it's great for the political jabs, and it's great for critiquing someone's asking price.

It's an internet jockey's dream thread.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Really love the insight. I'd love for you to keep us posted on this. My anecdotal evidence shows extreme softening in used vehicle prices, which is also supported by Manheim showing an almost 3% drop in auction prices in a month.
I follow several used/car/auction Youtubers in different parts of the country. All of them said it looks like used market peaked 1-2 months ago. But people and dealers are in denial and are still trying to keep prices high since they bought high and want a profit..

Do not overpay for a used car, there is going to be a massive correction on prices in the future. The likes which we have never seen.
Sponsored