emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
I’m looking for an experience-based response re: a dirt bike hitch carrier for my 2020 2dr JL. (I.e., NOT looking for opinions, but response from someone who has actually done this!)

I’d like to put a hitch carrier on my JL to carry a YZ250 dirt bike. The bike with fuel weighs about 250 lbs, and the carrier I am looking at, the Trackside from CycleGear, weighs about 40 lbs, so total weight on the hitch tongue would be about 300 lbs.

I believe the 2dr JL, with the class II receiver I have on it, is only rated at 200 lbs tongue weight? If correct, there is a class III receiver I can install to replace my class II, and that appears to increase the tongue weight maximum to 300 lbs. so still right at the limit of what I’d be carrying.

Is it just a bad idea to put 300+ lbs on the receiver tongue of a 2dr JL? I certainly don’t want to drop the bike off the back of the Jeep! But I also don’t want to deal with having a trailer, so would like to find a hitch carrier solution, if possible.

thanks,
Sponsored

OP
OP
emgeesea

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
After some further reading, I don’t think there is any safe way to carry more than 200 lbs with a hitch carrier on a 2dr JL.

I guess my dirt bike years are behind me.

OP
OP
emgeesea

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Well, the JL owners manual states 200 lbs is the max tongue weight you can carry with a 2dr (350 lbs with a 4dr).

I’m not sure what that maximum is a factor of, I.e., whether it is the hitch max, the axles, the shorter wheelbase of the 2dr, etc., but I’m not anxious to test it with 300 lbs on the tongue!

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Grand Wagoneer 3 series, 2022 Rubicon 392
I’m looking for an experience-based response re: a dirt bike hitch carrier for my 2020 2dr JL. (I.e., NOT looking for opinions, but response from someone who has actually done this!)

I’d like to put a hitch carrier on my JL to carry a YZ250 dirt bike. The bike with fuel weighs about 250 lbs, and the carrier I am looking at, the Trackside from CycleGear, weighs about 40 lbs, so total weight on the hitch tongue would be about 300 lbs.

I believe the 2dr JL, with the class II receiver I have on it, is only rated at 200 lbs tongue weight? If correct, there is a class III receiver I can install to replace my class II, and that appears to increase the tongue weight maximum to 300 lbs. so still right at the limit of what I’d be carrying.

Is it just a bad idea to put 300+ lbs on the receiver tongue of a 2dr JL? I certainly don’t want to drop the bike off the back of the Jeep! But I also don’t want to deal with having a trailer, so would like to find a hitch carrier solution, if possible.

thanks,
CCF40A22-547E-4133-9C46-BFA34EA97221.jpeg
34308E68-F58C-405F-8FD1-13C55F78B8E8.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
emgeesea

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, class iii receivers are available for the JL with higher tongue ratings than 200 lbs, but that does not appear to be the limiting factor. It is the 200 lbs max tongue weight you can carry with a 2dr JL, as stated in the owners manual.

Without knowing what drives the 200lb limit, I’m not going to risk carrying a 300 lb load, even with installing a more HD hitch receiver, as it is likely NOT the hitch that is the limiting factor with the 2dr JL, since the 4dr - with the same class ii hitch as I have on my 2 dr - can carry 350 lbs tongue weight.

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
Its probably high speed stability reasons. Same reason for the 4 doors higher tow capacity. They have the same everything else right?

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
You could probably do some badass wheelies with it on there.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Marc, I'll be selling my Versahaul hitch carrier because the 350 lb. tongue weight of my JLU makes continued use of the carrier a non-starter. The carrier was [safely] used on the truck that preceded the purchase of my Jeep.

The leverage effect of a loaded carrier can multiply the effect of the total weight on the hitch, which can quickly overwhelm the rated tongue capacity.

Speaking frankly, the only bikes I'd carry on a JL's receiver hitch would have pedals.

OP
OP
emgeesea

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
I’m Inclined to think the same. it’s a shame, as I was looking forward to picking up a YZ250 again after 40 years since my last one!

Sponsored

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Marc, I'll be selling my Versahaul hitch carrier because the 350 lb. tongue weight of my JLU makes continued use of the carrier a non-starter. The carrier was [safely] used on the truck that preceded the purchase of my Jeep.

The leverage effect of a loaded carrier can multiply the effect of the total weight on the hitch, which can quickly overwhelm the rated tongue capacity.

Speaking frankly, the only bikes I'd carry on a JL's receiver hitch would have pedals.
I have a versahaul, it’s a heavy SOB on its own lol

Marine2146

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m Inclined to think the same. it’s a shame, as I was looking forward to picking up a YZ250 again after 40 years since my last one!
I would suggest a Husqvarna TX300i, bottom end is stout! Very easy to ride, mixes it’s own fuel too. It won’t tire you out like some two strokes, less vibration than a four stroke.

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Ive recently tried out a carrier for my yz250. Cant remember the brand but it was a complete pain in the ass to wheel it onto the back of the jeep, and it ended up not being able to stand up straight with the spare tire being on, and of course with the spare being off, the backup cam was in the way.

I thought about getting a receiver extender but they cut the tow weight by 50% and obviously increase stress. From what ive read from people with suv’s and hitch carriers, they all have pre maturely worn out rear end parts so i wouldnt find it worth it to carry it with your hitch.

I ended up keeping my 10ft trailer which i also didnt want to have to use. But its soo convenient. I just keep my dirtbike loaded up and park the trailer in the garage so it only takes me 3 minutes to attach my trailer and drive to the track.

Sorry to say it but a trailer is probably your only safe bet.
Sponsored