Alarm going off while driving

plisken

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, BMW M5 E34
This will likely be the last straw for me, but this morning, driving to work, the alarm starts going off and 10 second intervals. No matter what I did, I couldn't stop it, locking, unlocking, start/stop cycling, it just kept on going. It was maybe 10 seconds at a time with a 5 second delay and then repeating and this continued for about 20 minutes.

So, got car recovered as expected as it's under warranty but I have no courtesy car and will likely be out of pocket, if not for the repair, for car hire costs and so on. A complete joke and given I have already had my stop/start fiasco, al within 5 weeks of ownership, I think I'm out...
Sponsored

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Sorry to hear it. Any warning lights on, or was it more like a seatbelt chime?

OP
OP
plisken

plisken

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to hear it. Any warning lights on, or was it more like a seatbelt chime?
No warning lights, ear piercing, definitely an anti theft alarm but interestingly, it seemed to sound louder inside the car than out and outside there were to headlights or indicators flashing.

Once it started (while driving), it lasted for maybe 20 minutes, regardless of engine or lock state.

I just know the dealer will call and say "we couldn't find any faults" :mad:

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

No warning lights, ear piercing, definitely an anti theft alarm but interestingly, it seemed to sound louder inside the car than out and outside there were to headlights or indicators flashing.
Was it the horn honking or some other sounds? The JL factory alarm is the horn going off. If you're hearing something else, it wasn't installed at the factory.

OP
OP
plisken

plisken

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was it the horn honking or some other sounds? The JL factory alarm is the horn going off. If you're hearing something else, it wasn't installed at the factory.
It wasn't the horn, but I'm sure when I got the car, I set the alarm off on purpose and it wasn't just the horn either. Additionally though, the car was owned by Jeep prior to me buying it.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

OP
OP
plisken

plisken

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Then it isn't factory.
It's my understanding that the car has what is termed as the "premium" or whatever from the build sheet and being a UK car, might be different?

From my build sheet;
Jeep Wrangler JL Alarm going off while driving Screenshot 2021-08-06 at 18.02.39

Regardless though, it's an issue and needs resolved.

Subject matter for another time, but this recent experience with customer service and after sales has been one huge train wreck, it's not even funny.

OP
OP
plisken

plisken

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got car back from the dealer this morning, they couldn't find any faults with the car at all.

First thing I done when I got home was test the alarm, found that it will no longer activate with movement inside the car and when it does activate by other means, there is no sound. Dealer couldn't and wouldn't have disabled the siren, now would they? Of course, they say they didn't.

Guess it's going back in. That'll be another week then...

OP
OP
plisken

plisken

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An update for anyone interested. After the dealer having the car for 2 weeks, they believe they have found the cause of the fault(s), a faulty alarm unit, which will now likely take another 2 weeks to arrive before fitting. Pretty much meaning that since I've bought the car, its spent more time back at the dealers for this issue than I've actually had the use of it.

and of course I know that if/when I get it back, I'll have the widely reported false alarms to look forward to.

Sponsored

OP
OP
plisken

plisken

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I dont suppose anyone knows the location of this alarm/siren unit? Likely UK models only.

OP
OP
plisken

plisken

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A month and still not got it back...

At least, I haven't been able to find any more faults since I haven't had it back.

Bingman

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy’s
Man, it really sucks you’re having this much luck with it. Really hoping they get it all worked out for you. This was part of my reason for getting a Willy’s Sport, to get it as stripped down with as little electronics as possible to avoid weird stuff like this. Good luck to you and hopefully you get the Jeep back soon!

Plasmadaddy

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Overland. 2019 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide.
Resurrecting an old thread!

Same thing happened to me on my way home from work.
First issue I've had other than the odd false alarm issue that we seem to get in the UK.

Hope it's just a one off as it was an embarrassing nightmare......!
Sponsored