Selling my 4xe

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
When I bought it my intention was to keep it. I still might keep it, but I feel there is flexibility on the requirements. If I had bought 10 4xe's and tried to resell them I could see the point.

Does one vehicle that I've kept for 10 weeks fall into these requirements?
I think it's the honor system unless you get audited, like most things IRS. Just giving you a heads up of how it reads.
Sponsored

ahidro1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Tax credit & Price. Brand new model. I'm personally waiting at least 2 years before I pull the trigger on a 4xe.

OP
OP

Hoopster3

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
I think it's the honor system unless you get audited, like most things IRS. Just giving you a heads up of how it reads.
I appreciate it!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I wonder if it'd be worth a trip to Chicago for you to sell it to a dealer?

Sponsored

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Good luck on the sale, but I’d have to agree with the sentiment here… people buying a 65k depreciating asset almost unilaterally have 7500 in tax liability or more. Even if you paid MSRP you’re coming out ahead on 58k offers, if you want to sell it I’d jump all over those while you can. They are getting quicker pumping these out and the chip shortage isnt impacting 4xe’s specifically as one of Stelantis’s bigger profit margin vehicle.

Sounds as though your searching for a unicorn buyer out there at this pricepoint

ahidro1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Good luck on the sale, but I’d have to agree with the sentiment here… people buying a 65k depreciating asset almost unilaterally have 7500 in tax liability or more. Even if you paid MSRP you’re coming out ahead on 58k offers, if you want to sell it I’d jump all over those while you can. They are getting quicker pumping these out and the chip shortage isnt impacting 4xe’s specifically as one of Stelantis’s bigger profit margin vehicle.

Sounds as though your searching for a unicorn buyer out there at this pricepoint
Well said. đź‘Ť

Gooner

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green 4xe
Just can't see anyone buying a used car for more than a new one... tax credit or not. You already depreciated your car a good 20% on average when you signed the paperwork... why would someone eat your negative equity?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Hoopster3

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Never heard of someone feeling forced to make money :CWL:
I use the word "forced" because the new car market had increased prices as well. An example I see around me is: MSRP $50k. Sale price $53k.

Not that I'm forced to make money, but I am forced not to lose additional money. Since I will need to replace the vehicle I view it differently than of I was just pocketing cash. Different perspectives I suppose.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
FYI, there are a couple of guys on Leasehackr that are flipping the leases for profit.
Just can't see anyone buying a used car for more than a new one... tax credit or not. You already depreciated your car a good 20% on average when you signed the paperwork... why would someone eat your negative equity?
It's a really weird market right now, we couldn't even find a 4xe on a lot to test drive before we ordered one. Same thing with the Ram, I would've taken one off the lot if I could have found one with the right options.

People total vehicles all the time, and they may not have the option to order and wait without spending a ton of money on a rental.

Gooner

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green 4xe
Buying new cars brings inherent depreciation you will never get back, even on the hottest selling models.

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
I agree with many others here - you are making an assumption that 'people' will pay above MSRP for a used vehicle.
- this rarely happens with a dealer; new, maybe - depending if they can slip in the 'market adjustment', or the addon's (I literally just looked at a new 2021 with 2k in markup for paint protection, tinted windows, and wheel locks lol), or what-have-you. But very rarely can they mark up a used vehicle that much
- this almost never happens on a private sale. most people who are evaluating private sales ARE looking for a deal of some type. If they want to just throw money at something - they can do that with a dealer and at least have some recourse if something goes wrong.

I know lots want to believe there's this huge shortage of vehicles - but in reality, there is plenty of availability within 6 hours of just about anywhere. I've been looking for a 2-door JLU andactually resigned myself to paying MSRP - but honestly, got tired of the search and have decided to order it. and you know what - I'll get exactly what I want, at a price that will be below any of the ones I was willing to 'make do' with.

I could be the oddity - but when I'm spending 60k and up on a vehicle (such as yours) I'm going to want it exactly how I want it, and new. Because in that price range there really isn't a lot of difference in 55k to 60k. so most will probably think - meh, I'll just buy new and wait a month or two.

now if you marked it down in the 52-55k range, you might get a buyer or two interested - but I am willing to bet that anything above 55k will be a tough sale. The market just isn't that terrible as many would like to believe (immediate local area notwithstanding)

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Our dealership is selling them and other new for MSRP. Why would someone pay you $2,000+ for a used vehicle? Price it about $2,000 below what it stickered for and you might get some interest.
Sponsored