Mickey Thompson A/T balance points?

jeronimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL
Occupation
On the trail :+)
I just picked up my new Mickey Thompson A/T tires and were about to start working them on the bead lock wheels but I can't see any balance points marked on the tire. There is a barcode sticker on the outer bead on each tire, but other than that no other markings.

I wonder what should be the right way to mount these.

Anyone any experience with Mickey Thompson A/Ts?

Cheers!
Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I had a similar ā€œissueā€ with BFG KM3ā€™s. Iā€™m curious to see if there was a secret step I missed. I just threw balancing beads between the beadlock insert and the tire, only problem so far is ā€œhigh-speedā€ cornering.

OP
OP
jeronimo

jeronimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This is what I found on Mickey Thompson's website here https://www.mickeythompsontires.com/tech-bulletins/tire-wheel-match-mounting-for-optimum-uniformity

"The paint marks on Mickey Thompson Tires are not indications of tire high or low spots and are merely marks applied for production purposes only.
On dual tires, each tire/wheel assembly should be installed with the valve 180 degrees opposite each other.
Mickey Thompson recommends tires be dynamically (spin) balanced."

I guess I just mount them and run to the tire shop for balancing and keep my fingers crossed that there wouldn't be some craziness going on šŸ˜Ž

OP
OP
jeronimo

jeronimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I had a similar ā€œissueā€ with BFG KM3ā€™s. Iā€™m curious to see if there was a secret step I missed. I just threw balancing beads between the beadlock insert and the tire, only problem so far is ā€œhigh-speedā€ cornering.
So are you happy with those balancing beads, I've been debating with myself the entire day?

And what do you mean by high-speed cornering what exactly happens there?

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
So are you happy with those balancing beads, I've been debating with myself the entire day?

And what do you mean by high-speed cornering what exactly happens there?
Iā€™m happy, but the more sedate of a driver you are the happier youā€™ll be. Sometimes they need to redistribute and I get some feedback in the steering, but 5 seconds later they are fine. The only time I had an alarming amount of movement was when I was cornering at 40+ to get onto the freeway onramp because someone changed lanes into me and I was kind of pissed off and feeling aggressive. I think the g forces were causing the beads to improperly distribute.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeronimo

jeronimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Okay after a lot of research I decided to just do regular Hunter Road Force balance but at the time I probably didn't really understand the concept of it. So I mounted all my 5 beadlocks and happily rented a trailer to bring it for balance at America's Tires. Folks there were very helpful but after trying on one of the wheel/tire combos for couple of times they just couldn't balance it. On average each one of the five showed anywhere between 8 and 12 oz of balance weight needed but after a balance spin and applying the weight it would keep asking for additional weight to be added on different places.

At that point we decided to do Road Force instead. I previously thought roadforce is just a type of balance that gives you optimal weight positions while there is force applied to the tire - I didn't realize that one would need to actually rotate the tire in relation to the wheel to achieve maximum effect - although now this makes sense.

So here I am standing back hope with all my 5 tires with provided marks from America's Tires and I have to undo and redo all the beadlocks to align the tires in the appropriate location in relation to the wheel.

What do you folks think about that? I understand that would put me in optimal position but at the same time its a huge bummer that I will have to redo all the work .........

Anyone any opinion? Should I try different place to have them balanced?

@Roky brother what do you think?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Okay after a lot of research I decided to just do regular Hunter Road Force balance but at the time I probably didn't really understand the concept of it. So I mounted all my 5 beadlocks and happily rented a trailer to bring it for balance at America's Tires. Folks there were very helpful but after trying on one of the wheel/tire combos for couple of times they just couldn't balance it. On average each one of the five showed anywhere between 8 and 12 oz of balance weight needed but after a balance spin and applying the weight it would keep asking for additional weight to be added on different places.

At that point we decided to do Road Force instead. I previously thought roadforce is just a type of balance that gives you optimal weight positions while there is force applied to the tire - I didn't realize that one would need to actually rotate the tire in relation to the wheel to achieve maximum effect - although now this makes sense.

So here I am standing back hope with all my 5 tires with provided marks from America's Tires and I have to undo and redo all the beadlocks to align the tires in the appropriate location in relation to the wheel.

What do you folks think about that? I understand that would put me in optimal position but at the same time its a huge bummer that I will have to redo all the work .........

Anyone any opinion? Should I try different place to have them balanced?

@Roky brother what do you think?
Rotating the tire on the rim to get the road force balance as low as possible, will definitely help to balance the tires.

OP
OP
jeronimo

jeronimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Rotating the tire on the rim to get the road force balance as low as possible, will definitely help to balance the tires.

Yeah, and with my OCD of doing things the right way it is unavoidable to undo my beadlocks rotate the tires and redo them :CWL: :surprised:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, and with my OCD of doing things the right way it is unavoidable to undo my beadlocks rotate the tires and redo them :CWL: :surprised:
A light duty 18 volt impact driver is your friend.......:rock:...... I use this one for almost everything....lol... itā€™s a lot quicker than the cordless ratchet or air ratchet.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mickey Thompson A/T balance points? 84342CA4-10B6-4917-938E-7A6840115578

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Just do it! Youā€™ll enjoy 5 tire rotations and confidence for tens of thousands of miles after.
Ditto to the impact. My HF Earthquake is worth its weight in gold. And I get a core workout torquing all the beadlock bolts twice on each install before it even goes on the Jeep.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeronimo

jeronimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I really hope I can rotate the tire in relation to the wheel without really unseating the inside bead... hopefully soap water does it's trick :)

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I really hope I can rotate the tire in relation to the wheel without really unseating the inside bead... hopefully soap water does it's trick :)
Iā€™d definitely jump in and give you a hand, but Iā€™m guessing krazysphere is a little to far away.....šŸ˜‚

OP
OP
jeronimo

jeronimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Iā€™d definitely jump in and give you a hand, but Iā€™m guessing krazysphere is a little to far away.....šŸ˜‚
Thank you brother I am on the west coast too far from ya :(

How naĆÆve of me to think I would be able to rotate the tire without breaking the inner bead :LOL: I think of getting one of these to help myself with the task BeadBuster XB-452

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
Thank you brother I am on the west coast too far from ya :(

How naĆÆve of me to think I would be able to rotate the tire without breaking the inner bead :LOL: I think of getting one of these to help myself with the task BeadBuster XB-452
Farm jack or scissor jack plus hitch, frame, or rock slider. Slide tire under and use the jack and the weight of the vehicle to break the bead.
Where in the West Coast? Iā€™m off Tuesday through Saturday if youā€™re nearby!

OP
OP
jeronimo

jeronimo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Farm jack or scissor jack plus hitch, frame, or rock slider. Slide tire under and use the jack and the weight of the vehicle to break the bead.
Where in the West Coast? Iā€™m off Tuesday through Saturday if youā€™re nearby!
I live in San Jose, how about you? We better do some wheeling than me bothering you with breaking beads :jk:
Sponsored