Winch with stock steel bumper?

dstrahm

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Need to determine what’s involved in mounting a winch onto a stock steel bumper, 2021 JLUR. I’d like to keep the Wrangler as stock as possible but want to be able to get some/offer some help if the need arose.
I’ve seen some vendors selling “kits” to put name brand winches up to 12k onto the JL stock steel bumper but not a lot of details on the specific process. Thanks!
Sponsored

old schooler

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Gray
If you have the JLUR Steel bumper, Warn winch + Warn Winch Carrier is a perfect match. The result is a low profile winch and everything lines up perfectly.
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch with stock steel bumper? 2A8C2950-49F3-4DE6-AA8F-6893A8697363

John Galt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I installed a Smittybilt X2O winch on a Maximus 3 winch plate with the oem steel bumper, no problems, good fit and looks good to me.

Sponsored

ifonline

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Small Business Owner
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch with stock steel bumper? 6476737A-D410-44AA-AB6F-46C6B711E5E9

Warn VR EVO 10-S winch on Maximus-3 winch plate with red hook anchor, Maximus-3 filler trim plates, and a Maximus-3 stinger bar. Oh, and a Maximus-3 low mount tag bracket.

Um… I’m starting to think that Maximus-3 should pay me as a sponsor.

As far as install is concerned, the process is fairly easy as long as you are comfortable with some light wrenching. The instructions that came with the Maximus-3 parts were decent, and YouTube has plenty of guidance to offer. Note that having someone with you to remove and replace the steel bumper helps as its heavy and big enough to be awkward right when it doesn’t need to be.

The biggest issue I ran across was making sure the wiring was routed in a decent way as to avoid pinching or rubbing. See my thread about wiring here.

Lastly, make sure you have some deep sockets and possibly a 90 degree impact wrench adapter. The bolts that hold the bumper to the frame are in a tight spot, especially after the winch is mounted.

Last edited:

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
There are a ton of winch plates out there, I went with JCR because of my past experiences with their bumpers.

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 3.0 Turbo Diesel
Maximus 3 mounting kit with a harbor freight winch. The winch was a good deal at around $500 with one of their coupons. Just a warning if you center it you will need to shorten the free spool handle.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch with stock steel bumper? IMG_0094.JPG

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
You have to remove the stock bumper, install the winch plate (and winch), and then install the bumper again. None of this is difficult, and there are plenty of tutorials available.

The Warn winch plate and the Maximus 3 winch plate seem to be the most popular options, but there are others available. Remember though, the entire load of the winch will be pulling on this plate, it's best not to cheap out. Most winch plates and most winches use the same mounting hole pattern, so you don't have to worry about compatibility (as long as you are buying a truck winch, and not an ATV winch).

The same goes for winches. There are many available, everyone has an opinion. I have a Warn VR8S, and it hasn't let me down. Whatever winch you get, DO NOT GET A STEEL CABLE. When steel cables snap, they kill people. Putting a blanket over the line only keeps it warm. Spend the extra money for the synthetic line. When the synthetic line snaps it just goes slack.

Good luck with your build, get what's best for you.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch with stock steel bumper? 1627312621317

Sponsored

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Maximus 3 mounting kit with a harbor freight winch. The winch was a good deal at around $500 with one of their coupons. Just a warning if you center it you will need to shorten the free spool handle.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch with stock steel bumper? 1627312621317
Which bull bar is that? I have a stock 20' Rubicon Recon and don't want to lose my bull bar when putting a winch on. Seems like mine is too low and would have to be removed to add a winch.

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 3.0 Turbo Diesel
Which bull bar is that? I have a stock 20' Rubicon Recon and don't want to lose my bull bar when putting a winch on. Seems like mine is too low and would have to be removed to add a winch.
It is the Maximus 3 JT SLP Hoop - they also offer some reinforcement brackets but I did not buy them. I

jwpjeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 392
If you have the JLUR Steel bumper, Warn winch + Warn Winch Carrier is a perfect match. The result is a low profile winch and everything lines up perfectly.
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch with stock steel bumper? 938F9835-146E-4298-822E-1FF233EE95FD
I really like the clean look of this. Is that a Mopar low profile grill guard? Also, which lights did you go with? Look like they bolt directly onto the bumper using the existing holes. Looks great.
Sponsored