Sponsored

Steering gear box TSB, am I screwed? Need advice.

ccjcc81

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 1999 TJ Sport
Guys, I don’t know what to do. When we bought this JLUR it had 29,000 miles on it, it had the wandering and deadzone in the steering, and I didn’t know what caused it. It was stock when we bought it and we experienced the issues from day 1. I didn’t know about the TSB for the steering gear box until I did some research here and on other forums. I’ve since had installed a JKS Konnect 3” lift and 35” tires. When I discovered the TSB I called my local Jeep service shop in June 2012, and they said that despite the fact that the Jeep only had 32,500 miles on it, it was manufactured in May 2018, so it’s out of warranty. I asked them about the TSB and they told me that they would do it, but they would charge between $250 and $400 to do it because I was out of warranty. I told them I bought the MaxCare extended warranty from Carmax when I bought it, so they told me to take it to them and try to get it done cheaper. I dropped it off last night and got a call from the service manager at Carmax who told me that because I had a lift and 35” tires on the Jeep, MaxCare is going to void my warranty on any suspension and steering parts. I think I might now be past the 36,000 mile warranty as well, or very close to it. What can I do to get this fixed? I can’t afford to pay Jeep $1,500 to $2,000 to have this issue fixed, we have stretched our budget as tight as we can just to afford the monthly payment on this thing. We bought it for my wife, and she refuses to drive it if we go anywhere that requires exceeding 45mph, it scares the heck out of her with all the wandering. I don’t like it either, I have to saw at the wheel just to keep it straight at 70mph. So far, this has been the most regrettable vehicle purchase we have ever made. If I had known about this issue I never would have bought the Jeep. What should I do? Do you guys think @JeepCares can help us with this issue?

I really think Jeep is doing its customers a disservice by not classifying this issue as a Recall. I have a 99 TJ on a Dana 30 with 33” tires that drives as straight as an arrow. Jeep is releasing an “Extreme” version of the Rubicon with 35” tires and a similar lift from the factory to compete with Ford’s Bronco, and they didn’t put the faulty aluminum steering gear box in it, it of course has the cast steel box. I refuse to believe that a $60,000 2018 JL Rubicon with Dana 44s cannot handle a lift and 35” tires. Am I screwed here? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

What should I do?
Try another dealer. If you can't find one that will do the job at no cost, go back to the one that told you $250 - $400. That's a reasonable estimate since you are out of warranty.

Do you guys think @JeepCares can help us with this issue?
Doubtful as you are out of warranty coverage.

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
I would pm @JeepCares to see if your Jeep qualifies for the tsb. I have a 2018 Jeep JLU with 26,000 miles, AEV lift with 35’s and the dealership performed the steering box tsb. They never questioned the lift or wheel/tire setup. With that said, I contacted @JeepCares first to start the process.
What is your location? Maybe a member from your area can suggest a different dealer for you.

OP
OP
ccjcc81

ccjcc81

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would pm @JeepCares to see if your Jeep qualifies for the tsb. I have a 2018 Jeep JLU with 26,000 miles, AEV lift with 35’s and the dealership performed the steering box tsb. They never questioned the lift or wheel/tire setup. With that said, I contacted @JeepCares first to start the process.
What is your location? Maybe a member from your area can suggest a different dealer for you.
Thanks for the advice,

Houston, TX

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If you can source the steel box affordably it's not a terribly difficult job. Find a local member or Jeep club member to help if needed.

However IIRC the swap also involved flashing the ECM? If so, that's likely a dealer-only thing.

OP
OP
ccjcc81

ccjcc81

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carmax advised me to take it to the Jeep dealership, said I could use the extended warranty there. I have an appointment Monday. We'll see how it goes. I didn't know that there was a TSB that supersedes the one I had, it also stipulates that lifts are ok for the TSB. I guess I'll find out on Monday. Thanks for all the advice.

FirecrackerRedJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
maxcare is the worst. hopefully it all works out for ya. worst case you sell it for your money back or make a profit and find a older model and be more within your means for when shit breaks and its not warranty.

Reactions: GtX
OP
OP
ccjcc81

ccjcc81

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Indeed.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
Know that it is a TSB not a recall. Replacement is up to the diagnosing dealer to fix or not.

Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
$250-400 sounds pretty reasonable, but maybe you can get Jeep Cares to do it for you on goodwill. IMHO it should have been a recall. There are almost certainly tens of thousands of JL owners driving around with that crappy aluminum box steering and not a single clue anything is wrong.

Not being able to afford $250-400 and having a used car with no warranty gives me anxiety just thinking about it. No better time than now to sell it and get something a little more in the budget.

OP
OP
ccjcc81

ccjcc81

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can afford $250-$400. If Maxcare doesn't cover it, after all the weeks of research and the recent negotiating with Carmax, I'd pay it and be happy. But until then I'll be anxious that they'll come up with some reason not to do it. It's just not something we expected to deal with buying such an expensive vehicle.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
There is absolutely no way you are getting the steering gear installed for 400 bucks. The part costs more than that.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I am not jumping on the replace the aluminum box band wagon.
OP bought a used 29,000 mile JLUR with steering issues and it now has 32K+ and he has added a 3" lift and 35's. Who said the issue is the alum. box. OP hasn't by my reading and only asked about the TBS.
29k miles is still a new car. If it hasn’t had the shit beaten out of it on a trail and bent parts, the steering gear box is a good place to start. The problem with it is that it requires a reflash so you can’t really do it at home in the garage.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
No one has diagnosed the box to be bad. Replacing parts willy nilly is never a good idea. My steering is very good and the aluminum box is fine and the only steering component I did not replace on my build for 37's. My rig has a combined 40K of wheeled hard and flat towing.
Diagnosis consists of exactly one data point: it is made of aluminum. Replace it. Call it defective, call it an upgrade, whatever makes you sleep at night. It needs to be fixed whether or not it is the sole source of his steering problems.
Sponsored