First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
If you are planning a trip to Ouray or Silverton in the next two months take a look at these closure schedules for Hwy 550. If you plan on accessing the Jeep roads, especially from Ouray, there will be some challenges. The highway will be closed most of the day for two weeks at a time. Road will be open evenings and and weekends. If you are going to be here, plan accordingly.
Sponsored

jrocker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
I've been planning around this one for a couple of weeks, since it starts the day we arrive for a two week stay in the state park.
Combine the 550 closure with the daily closure on 50, and it makes things interesting. Especially getting there.
I told my wife it was going to be an "early morning start" type of vacation.
She's not pleased. :giggle:

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
If you are planning a trip to Ouray or Silverton in the next two months take a look at these closure schedules for Hwy 550. If you plan on accessing the Jeep roads, especially from Ouray, there will be some challenges. The highway will be closed most of the day for two weeks at a time. Road will be open evenings and and weekends. If you are going to be here, plan accordingly.
Damn, thanks dude, saved me here. Going to adjust plans now.

jeeeeeeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Can someone post a screenshot of the closure info. Something isn't playing nice and gives me " Cannot load Facebook SDK. Disable any adblocker or tracking protection and try again. "

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ridgway Jeeper

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Can someone post a screenshot of the closure info. Something isn't playing nice and gives me " Cannot load Facebook SDK. Disable any adblocker or tracking protection and try again. "
I think you can also find it on the power companies site a www.smpa.org Probably coming to www.cotrip.org as well.

OP
OP
Ridgway Jeeper

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
I've been planning around this one for a couple of weeks, since it starts the day we arrive for a two week stay in the state park.
Combine the 550 closure with the daily closure on 50, and it makes things interesting. Especially getting there.
I told my wife it was going to be an "early morning start" type of vacation.
She's not pleased. :giggle:
Figure in I-70 closed at Glenwood Springs because of mudslides in the canyon for a couple of weeks too... Good news is the monsoons are ending this week and the wildflowers in the high country and general greenery here are all time spectacular.

Last edited:

Idmt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly JLURD, now JLUR
Thank you so much for the info. Its great to be able to plan for alternatives to work around the closures.

jrocker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
Figure in I-70 closed at Glenwood Springs because of mudslides in the canyon for a couple of weeks too... Good news is the monsoons are ending this week and the wildflowers in the high country and general greenery are here are all time spectacular.
Considering I'm staying in Salida, that Sunday (planned months ago), it could turn into an all day misadventure just to get to Ridgway.
We may just take fifty and wait in line for the 12:30 opening. We'll be in the motorhome, so a movie and lunch while we wait may not be such a bad thing.;)

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Jeep Wrangler JL Aug and Sept Hwy 550 closures Ouray CO MillionDollarHighwayClosure

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ridgway Jeeper

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Additional notes... Lots of trail damage and repair going on due to an impressive monsoon season.

ROAD MAINTENANCE: For the week of August 2-5: crews will be repairing flood damage to: CR-26B (Imogene Pass), CR-20A (Corkscrew Pass), CR-18 (Engineer Pass), and CR-17 at Corbett Creek. Please use extreme caution if traveling in the high country and be aware of changing weather conditions.

Sandcrab74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
First time to the San Juan’s and staying in Ouray from 7th to the 12th. Can somegive me hand planning around the closures. Planned to run:
Black Bear
Imogene
Ophir
Engineer
Poughkeepsie

Figured we can get on the trails before the 830 closure but will have trouble getting back to Ouray. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,

OP
OP
Ridgway Jeeper

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
First time to the San Juan’s and staying in Ouray from 7th to the 12th. Can somegive me hand planning around the closures. Planned to run:
Black Bear
Imogene
Ophir
Engineer
Poughkeepsie

Figured we can get on the trails before the 830 closure but will have trouble getting back to Ouray. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bring food, chairs, take breaks, spend the whole day out, come back after the closures reopen is one option. Those mtns aren't a bad place to have to spend the day. Some loops you will be able to do, some will be tougher.

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
You could do black bear into Telluride, shop and eat lunch and then Imogene back Into Ouray and that will take up most of the day. Engineer and maybe Poughkeepsie and then over to Animas Forks and Silverton then Ophir pass would be another full day. Like RJ said, up in the mountains isn't a bad way to spend the day.
Sponsored