Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited EcoDiesel
Hi Everyone,

Little things like relocating the rear license plate light and 3rd brake light can sure take a lot of time.

New Rockslide full width bumper and Metal Cloak Sportgate mean the license plate (and light) and 3rd brake light need rework.

I bought the Metal Cloak bracket and lights. Roughing in the wiring this afternoon and realized that the bracket won't work with the Dirty Life spare. (I should be able to come up with some spacers to make it work.)

My main hang-up is the wiring. MC's instructions, as with instructions for other kits, recommends splicing into the vehicle wiring at the passenger tail light. I would really prefer not to splice into any harnesses that are on the body-side of the JL, and thus can't be replaced if they become damaged.

My question is this... There is a connector under the tailgate panel for the rear 3rd brake light. There is a pigtail and connector in the rear bumper sensor harness that is intended to plug into the light on the stock bumper. Why would I not want to wire into these points on the JL, rather than tying into the body harness at the passenger tail light?

The connector for the stock 3rd brake light was saved when the Sportgate was installed and the stock carrier was removed, so I should be able to reuse the light-side of the connector. For the brake light, I'll need to cut off the stock connector on the bumper harness and extend that wiring to the new light location.

This seems like the most straight-forward way of installing these lights. Am I missing something? I haven't seen any writeups with these connections being used.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Jeff
Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I have a different bumper than what you are installing, but thats what I did. I used the factory plug for the license plate light and extended the wires.

OP
OP

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Randall,

I have a different bumper than what you are installing, but thats what I did. I used the factory plug for the license plate light and extended the wires.
That was quick! Thanks.

I'm assuming you didn't have to do anything with the stock 3rd brake light.

Take Care,

Jeff

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Hi Randall,

That was quick! Thanks.

I'm assuming you didn't have to do anything with the stock 3rd brake light.

Take Care,

Jeff
I extended them the same way. If I remember correctly I believe I pulled it back into the rear gate and extended it there. I have the LoD rear bumper and tire carrier and the wiring has to swing with the tire carrier and not the gate.

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Everyone,

Little things like relocating the rear license plate light and 3rd brake light can sure take a lot of time.

New Rockslide full width bumper and Metal Cloak Sportgate mean the license plate (and light) and 3rd brake light need rework.

I bought the Metal Cloak bracket and lights. Roughing in the wiring this afternoon and realized that the bracket won't work with the Dirty Life spare. (I should be able to come up with some spacers to make it work.)

My main hang-up is the wiring. MC's instructions, as with instructions for other kits, recommends splicing into the vehicle wiring at the passenger tail light. I would really prefer not to splice into any harnesses that are on the body-side of the JL, and thus can't be replaced if they become damaged.

My question is this... There is a connector under the tailgate panel for the rear 3rd brake light. There is a pigtail and connector in the rear bumper sensor harness that is intended to plug into the light on the stock bumper. Why would I not want to wire into these points on the JL, rather than tying into the body harness at the passenger tail light?

The connector for the stock 3rd brake light was saved when the Sportgate was installed and the stock carrier was removed, so I should be able to reuse the light-side of the connector. For the brake light, I'll need to cut off the stock connector on the bumper harness and extend that wiring to the new light location.

This seems like the most straight-forward way of installing these lights. Am I missing something? I haven't seen any writeups with these connections being used.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Jeff
Before you cut off the harness, check the wiring as It may contain the Backup Sensor Wiring! The wires you are looking for are:
White/Heavy Blue Tracer: License Plate Light
Black: Ground/Negative
(Verify just to be sure)
All others wires are for the sensors, if you have them. This harness is accessible from inside the drivers side rear panel that contains the DC accessory outlet. Remove enough tape from the harness to locate those wires.Cut & splice in your new wire extension harness and route underneath and across the tailgate threshold, pierce through existing mesh harness leading into tailgate.

License Plate Relocation Bracket :
Artec: JL5620 LP Bracket
Artec: OZ0803 LP LED Light Harness Kit

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Randall,

I extended them the same way. If I remember correctly I believe I pulled it back into the rear gate and extended it there. I have the LoD rear bumper and tire carrier and the wiring has to swing with the tire carrier and not the gate.
Thanks!

Jeff

OP
OP

Jeff2018

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Brian,

Before you cut off the harness, check the wiring as It may contain the Backup Sensor Wiring! The wires you are looking for are:
(Verify just to be sure)
All others wires are for the sensors, if you have them. This harness is accessible from inside the drivers side rear panel that contains the DC accessory outlet. Remove enough tape from the harness to locate those wires.Cut & splice in your new wire extension harness and route underneath and across the tailgate threshold, pierce through existing mesh harness leading into tailgate.

Thanks for your reply.

I appreciate your clarification about the harness. I wasn't clear in my message about the connector I was planning on removing. I reinstalled the sensors in the new bumper, so I was aware of the connector on the driver side, under body.

The connector I will be removing is actually along the harness that runs on the under side of the bumper. I'm attaching a picture for reference. This is the connector that I will be removing.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear License and 3rd Brake Light Wiring License Light Connector 20210726_121800 1920 x 1080 res

Thanks,

Jeff

BadA$$Rubi

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply.

I appreciate your clarification about the harness. I wasn't clear in my message about the connector I was planning on removing. I reinstalled the sensors in the new bumper, so I was aware of the connector on the driver side, under body.

The connector I will be removing is actually along the harness that runs on the under side of the bumper. I'm attaching a picture for reference. This is the connector that I will be removing.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rear License and 3rd Brake Light Wiring License Light Connector 20210726_121800 1920 x 1080 res

Thanks,

Jeff
No problem, good luck!

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
(Verify just to be sure)

Thank you for the color legend for the license plate light. Saved my bacon!
Sponsored