hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Had the TSB done a few months ago, steering had improved but it was only temporary. The loose feeling returned about 2 weeks ago.
Definitely check torque
Sponsored

dirtdigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Had the TSB done a few months ago, steering had improved but it was only temporary. The loose feeling returned about 2 weeks ago.
Check the torque on everything they touched ( including the sector shaft nut ). After I torqued everything the steering wheel was off center, an easy fix but just shows how loose everything was....

calvinf1

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU North Edition
Check the torque on everything they touched ( including the sector shaft nut ). After I torqued everything the steering wheel was off center, an easy fix but just shows how loose everything was....

Also had similar experience. I got my TSB done in Feb.... steering felt good. Once the hot weather started, I was wandering left and right like crazy. Release the tire pressure from 40 down to 33psi and it it improved a bit. Then I opted for longer mopar LCAs and that improved my castor and highway wandering is reduced. I still drive having to adjust to the crown of the road and have to anticipate a turn early (like playing ps4 with a laggy monitor) because there is still some looseness in the steering gears. Next I might tighten the torque screw on the steer box gears... which should address the 1 inch play (just want to get it to a 1/2 inch). I suspect this is the cause of the steering wheel looseness. Even the Chevy pickup that I got as a rental during my TSB steered better than my jeep after the new steering box (sorry just venting)...

With hot summer weather and if you are using wide tires, you may want to air down a bit to get more rubber on the surface. That should help the wandering.

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Update: I called the dealership this morning and took it back in. They called me this afternoon and said the new Steering box is defective and they ordered a new one. It should be in tomorrow. Thankfully the dealership has been easy to work with.
2nd update: I picked my Jeep up this afternoon after the dealership replaced the 2nd steering box. As of right now the dead spot/looseness is totally gone and the Jeep tracks straight. I couldnā€™t be happier. Iā€™m still going to double check the torque on the bolts.
Fingers crossed the looseness/wondering is finally behind me, but Iā€™m not holding my breath.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I had an evaluation at a dealership and was told all is normal. Iā€™m taking it to another dealership on 2 Aug.
That really shouldn't fly but I COMPLETELY understand picking your battles.

The TSB reads such that "if the customer complains of X......" perform the TSB. It *should* be irrelevant to do an "inspection" of any sort because it does not say the dealer needs to or should verify anything.

But again, I get it. It just sucks that dealers choose to suck

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Add me to the list. Has the TSB performed on my ā€˜19 JLUR and got it back today. Iā€™ll check fastener torque, top off fluid and ensure the air is out of there before taking it for an extended test drive.

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Add me to the list. Has the TSB performed on my ā€˜19 JLUR and got it back today. Iā€™ll check fastener torque, top off fluid and ensure the air is out of there before taking it for an extended test drive.
Please post results

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The power steering fluid listed on my invoice as being used to fill the system after the TSB steering gearbox change is 68507569AA. Can anyone definitively confirm this to be correct?

I picked up a quart a while back to top off the reservoir as needed. After much uncertainty and back and forth and checking over and over again the parts lady sold me 68218064AC as the correct fluid for my VIN.

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
The power steering fluid listed on my invoice as being used to fill the system after the TSB steering gearbox change is 68507569AA. Can anyone definitively confirm this to be correct?

I picked up a quart a while back to top off the reservoir as needed. After much uncertainty and back and forth and checking over and over again the parts lady sold me 68218064AC as the correct fluid for my VIN.
68507569AA is the gearbox part.

68218064AC is power steering fluid.

rizzkid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
So I finally got around to checking the torque on all the bolts after the TSB was complete. I found everything was not even close to torque spec's, especially the sector shaft/pitman arm nut. After I torqued the sector shaft nut, re-installed the track bar, and took a ride, I found my steering wheel is no longer centered. Would this mean that the dealership doing the TSB did an alignment while all the components were loose? Did I mess up the alignment by torqueing the sector shaft? Not sure what to do here.....any suggestions?
real easy to center your steering wheel just adjust the drag link. google it on youtube. real easy fix

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

I just grabbed a can of this at OReillys after TSB.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") E42FB055-785F-478D-9D2F-987575EC6696

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
68507569AA is the gearbox part.

68218064AC is power steering fluid.
Youā€™re right. I typed in the gearbox part number instead of the fluid part number :blush:

The fluid that came with the gearbox swap is 68088485AB. Is it correct?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara

Here's what the Mopar 2020 Chemical listings catalog shows. There may be a subtle difference between the three.
Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") 1628421660165

Attachments

noreserve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1999 TJ Sport
Pitman arm nut loosened up TWICE!

I had my 2019 Rubicon in for the 68507569-AA gearbox in December of 2020. Steering feel was noticeably heavier at low speeds afterward. Wander and constant corrections were noticeably improved, but not night and day like some have described. Steering is still light, but it does track straight and I could live with it. Recently, I noticed a "slipping" feel at times that would occur through a few inches of travel - definitely something had changed after seven months. That started around two weeks ago. Last week, I noticed a slight "clunk" at times. I did some troubleshooting underneath and found that the pitman arm nut had become loose enough for me to move with just my fingers. I know that the torque specs are way up there - maybe 184 lb ft. It has to be one of the most torqued nuts on the vehicle. Even though the steering shaft is tapered and the pitman arm requires a puller to remove, there is a reason that huge nut is there. I'm surprised that it isn't backed up with some kind of safety mechanism like a cotter pin.

So I took it to the dealer that did the gearbox replacement and asked them to verify that the splines were not damaged and to take a look and get it tightened up. They got it in that morning and put thread locker on it and torqued it to spec. I drove up to North GA afterward for a couple of hours for some light wheeling on forest service roads. Before the trip back, I took a look underneath just to be safe and, sure enough, the nut had loosened up again. I don't have a socket that big, so I did the best I could with an adjustable wrench and marked it with a Sharpie. I drove conservatively and pulled over several times and checked it. It did not loosen up on the drive home (1 hr at highway speeds). I got it back into the dealer Monday and also opened a case with Jeep customer service. The dealership said that they have a Star case opened. Today, the dealership says that the Jeep engineers recommended replacing the nut. Not sure what that's going to do, but I'm going along with it for now. My thought is that something may be amiss within the gearbox that is putting undue pressure on the nut in certain conditions. An out-of-round steering input from the column to the shaft or the shaft itself - who knows. All I know is that I am glad I caught it and that the nut didn't come off and the pitman arm finally work its way off the shaft splines. It's one thing to have a problem with a 12K mile vehicle like a squeaking hard top or a blown speaker - quite another to have a problem where the steering is coming apart. Steering is JL's Achilles heel, as we know. I'll update this thread once I can confirm the problem and the fix.
Sponsored