HYDRO BLUE Wrangler JL Club

IrishJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 T&C, '17 Grand Cherokee, '21 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Technical Writer
@jadewolf Finally got these on. I think they look great in matte black. Used less than 1 can of plastidip (3 coats). The longest part of the process was waiting for a :sun: day to let them have enough time to get a proper cure. They were super easy to install, took less than 10 minutes for all 4 doors. Have even taken it through the wash with no issues so far. So, not that I want to cover this awesome blue, but I think breaking it up a touch is a good thing.
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE Wrangler JL Club 20210726_154055
Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE Wrangler JL Club 20210726_154104
Sponsored

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
@jadewolf Finally got these on. I think they look great in matte black. Used less than 1 can of plastidip (3 coats). The longest part of the process was waiting for a :sun: day to let them have enough time to get a proper cure. They were super easy to install, took less than 10 minutes for all 4 doors. Have even taken it through the wash with no issues so far. So, not that I want to cover this awesome blue, but I think breaking it up a touch is a good thing.
My concern is whether these covers will hold moisture in possibly exacerbating the corrosion problem some owners are experiencing.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/bubbles-in-paint-at-door-hinges.32756/

Reactions: eck

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Looks great! The matte look is definitely a big improvement over the gloss.

I'm holding off on installing mine since they won't work with my doorless mirrors. I ended up putting some 3M film over the hinge barrels for now. But this looks real nice!

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

@IrishJeeper I have the same ones, painted but sitting in my garage - they wouldn't have been cured enough to get them on before our beach trip. 😕

You can also find similar covers for the hood hinges and tailgate hinge on Amazon but they're oddly more expensive (for fewer pieces). I have them on my list though.

Also have an RGB brawlee sitting at home ready to install.

IrishJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 T&C, '17 Grand Cherokee, '21 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Technical Writer
My concern is whether these covers will hold moisture in possibly exacerbating the corrosion problem some owners are experiencing.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/bubbles-in-paint-at-door-hinges.32756/
I'll keep a close eye on that, but in the mean time I'm somewhat protected from rock chips.

@IrishJeeper I have the same ones, painted but sitting in my garage - they wouldn't have been cured enough to get them on before our beach trip. 😕

You can also find similar covers for the hood hinges and tailgate hinge on Amazon but they're oddly more expensive (for fewer pieces). I have them on my list though.

Also have an RGB brawlee sitting at home ready to install.
I've been eyeing the other hinge covers. I think I'll bet getting some of those for birthday/Christmas.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Did a bunch of stuff to my Hydro last night after getting home from our beach trip. I won't copy/paste here, but you can see them on my build thread: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/joyride-hydro-jlusa-build-thread.76001/

1. Hinge covers (finally)
  2. Door handle inserts (with some commentary)
  3. Finalization of the name
  4. Brawlee RGB tailgate light (awesome)
  5. Some misc. goodies arrived

Arriving later this week is my Sunrider (FINALLY) and a VIAIR 400p air compressor. Planning to head out to the local offroad park on Saturday.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Did you look at the Harken Hoist? It's only $175 on Amazon and specifically built for the hard top.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074DCJYVK/

I'm a bit stuck on this, actually. "My" side of the garage currently has the attic stairs opening, which means if I do a hoist, I'm going to have to either convince my wife to swap sides* or at the least store my hard top in front of her. It would also make more sense as that's the side of the garage with less foot traffic anyways.

I've thought about a cart that would stand the hard top against the wall (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075V39PC2/) but while that's more convenient for storage, it doesn't help me take the top OFF, at all, so I think that's out.

I would rather not get one of those TopLift Pro things, either. For starters, they're $$$, but also I'd be worried about it getting bumped, etc in my garage.

*It would actually make more sense for us to switch, also, because of the way the Jeep's tailgate opens, but it's just the mental block of we've been parking in our "spots" for the past ~3 years
Did you make a decision on managing your hard top?

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Did you make a decision on managing your hard top?
Not yet. I still have the Harken Hoist in my Amazon list for $175, but I've seen some YT videos showing how to build a similar setup, but using a powered hoist/winch, for $200.

I also made my wife switch me garage sides with the Wrangler, since the tailgate opens the way it does, and because the other side has the attic ladder. But she kinda hates parking on the other side. I'm hoping ~2-3 weeks will get her used to it, but if not, that'll have an impact on which setup I can go with.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

Not yet. I still have the Harken Hoist in my Amazon list for $175, but I've seen some YT videos showing how to build a similar setup, but using a powered hoist/winch, for $200.

I also made my wife switch me garage sides with the Wrangler, since the tailgate opens the way it does, and because the other side has the attic ladder. But she kinda hates parking on the other side. I'm hoping ~2-3 weeks will get her used to it, but if not, that'll have an impact on which setup I can go with.
I think I may order and install now, so I can enjoy a week or two with the soft top before reverting to the hard top for winter.

Will let you know how it goes if I pull the trigger

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

@Murphydog this is the setup that I was looking at. I like that it's just a single hole in my ceiling. Harbor Freight has a similar winch for $99, and then I would do some ratchet straps as a backup.

Sponsored

Mall Crawler Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
First and foremost, I really like the hinge covers.
I have a WILLYS that I thought came with the white LED turn signals in front. Do any of you know if I can just get some light bulb to give the appearance or do I need to replace (if possible) the turn signal assembly?
If I can just get bulbs, what do you suggest?
Thanks.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Finally got a chance to get Joyride a little dirty at our local off-road park yesterday. Bone stock handled the terrain surprisingly well.

Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE Wrangler JL Club 20210807_094852

Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE Wrangler JL Club 20210807_094930

SuboneWH

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Retired USN and GS
Picked up my new Rubi today from Travis at Tri-City jeep in Eden NC, exactly 12 weeks to the day. Easiest Jeep buying experience I have ever had. I was in/out of dealership in less than 1 1/2 hours and probably could have been quicker, but had some good conversations. Finance office was also great, no pressure at all to add anything and the purchase price was exactly what my original POC from May 20. I didn't need financing so I received 6% below invoice (7% if using their preferred financing) and I traded in my 2018 JLUS and actually received more than I paid for it. Overall I highly recommend Travis and Tri-City Jeep!!

IMG_1370.jpg

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Was able to do a top swap with a local guy here - the full story's in my build thread, but wanted to share the pic - Joyride looks soooooo much better.

I also got my hood decals - probably put them on tomorrow.

Jeep Wrangler JL HYDRO BLUE Wrangler JL Club 20210814_104949
Sponsored