Sponsored

Can I drive with top off and freedom panels on?

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
So this may seem like a completely random question, especially in the middle of winter, but the title says it all.
Can you drive with the hardtop off and freedom panels on? This is my 1st Wrangler so I don't know what you can/can't do without messing something up. Surely someone has at least tried this.

I know the suggestions will be to buy a sunrider or similar type of shade. Yes I know that's an option, but is it possible to use the freedom panels without the hardtop, without damaging them? All the latches will still engage, so the panels should be secure. Is there any reason you can't do this?

Here's the long story on what I'm thinking, which is largely unrelated to the question. For tl/dr skip to the bottom and reply to the question. Otherwise keep reading.

I'm thinking about finding some rear doors at a junk yard (or from someone who wants to sell theirs). I prefer silver so I don't have to paint them, but I want to chop the tops off to make half doors. Obviously that requires a little body work to make a finished edge on top, but I can manage. Just like the sunrider, I know there are aftermarket 1/2 doors. I just think a modified stock door would look better, and may even be a bit more secure. This is all theory right now, it may not work out.
I don't plan on driving with my front doors off since it makes my wife uncomfortable and she's usually with me when I'm driving around. Plus I don't like losing my exterior mirrors, and have no plans of mounting any for doorless driving. Even if I do take them off it would be rare, so I'll plan for not at all.
If I have the full stock doors on the front, and 1/2 of a stock door on the back, we're all nice and secure. Then I can make another set of decals for the rear doors and it should look basically unchanged from the side.
So how did I go from doors to the question of the thread? If I take the hartdop and freedom panels off we have a nice open air experience. But if it rains, it's too windy or if it's just too sunny, it would be nice to roll up the front windows, and put the freedom panels on to keep us comfortable. In doing this, it's almost like a regular cab pickup with no rear window.
I'm not the greatest with photo editing, but here's what I came up with. Kinda what I hoped the Gladiator would have been. A 2 door Wrangler with an open cargo area. So can I put the freedom panels on without the top to create a sort of regular cab truck configuration?

For all of you who skipped. Just like the title asks:
Can I drive with the hardtop off, and freedom panels on?

half door.jpg
Sponsored

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Really? Is this a trick question or 'click-bait'? Yes...you can drive with just the freedom panels in place and the back portion removed. I've done it a lot.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Ha ha. Nope not click bait. I've never seen anyone doing it, so I wasn't sure if you can. Thanks for responding despite your doubts.

Yes, it seems like a logical thing, but I thought it was logical that you could drive with rear glass open to haul a long item. Many people said that was a bad idea though, so I figured I'd ask. I did a search first and couldn't find were anyone had asked it before. Rookie question I guess. :blush:

Thanks again.

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
There were many times last summer that I wanted to take the top off, but didn't know how soon we'd get back, and didn't want to be stuck without any cover. Sounds like my top will be off a lot more this summer.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara

Sponsored

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
You guys just made my day. Now I just need some better weather..... Hmmmm that may be a problem for a while.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
When my 2020 arrives within the next 1-2 weeks, this is the configuration I will probably do a lot. It's way to sunny and hot in Texas right now. I think having the top off and Freedom Panels in place will be the perfect combination, along with the AC on, of course!

OP
OP
Shots

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Works great. After confirming I could do it, I've done it a lot.

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
So this may seem like a completely random question, especially in the middle of winter, but the title says it all.
Can you drive with the hardtop off and freedom panels on? This is my 1st Wrangler so I don't know what you can/can't do without messing something up. Surely someone has at least tried this.

I know the suggestions will be to buy a sunrider or similar type of shade. Yes I know that's an option, but is it possible to use the freedom panels without the hardtop, without damaging them? All the latches will still engage, so the panels should be secure. Is there any reason you can't do this?

Here's the long story on what I'm thinking, which is largely unrelated to the question. For tl/dr skip to the bottom and reply to the question. Otherwise keep reading.

I'm thinking about finding some rear doors at a junk yard (or from someone who wants to sell theirs). I prefer silver so I don't have to paint them, but I want to chop the tops off to make half doors. Obviously that requires a little body work to make a finished edge on top, but I can manage. Just like the sunrider, I know there are aftermarket 1/2 doors. I just think a modified stock door would look better, and may even be a bit more secure. This is all theory right now, it may not work out.
I don't plan on driving with my front doors off since it makes my wife uncomfortable and she's usually with me when I'm driving around. Plus I don't like losing my exterior mirrors, and have no plans of mounting any for doorless driving. Even if I do take them off it would be rare, so I'll plan for not at all.
If I have the full stock doors on the front, and 1/2 of a stock door on the back, we're all nice and secure. Then I can make another set of decals for the rear doors and it should look basically unchanged from the side.
So how did I go from doors to the question of the thread? If I take the hartdop and freedom panels off we have a nice open air experience. But if it rains, it's too windy or if it's just too sunny, it would be nice to roll up the front windows, and put the freedom panels on to keep us comfortable. In doing this, it's almost like a regular cab pickup with no rear window.
I'm not the greatest with photo editing, but here's what I came up with. Kinda what I hoped the Gladiator would have been. A 2 door Wrangler with an open cargo area. So can I put the freedom panels on without the top to create a sort of regular cab truck configuration?

Jeep Wrangler JL Can I drive with top off and freedom panels on? half door
We g

Jeep Wrangler JL Can I drive with top off and freedom panels on? half door
we have similar jls—-

Attachments

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Gone we thought, thread of past times,
But now we read, and today we find.
That once it's on the internet,
It all comes back, lest we forget.

When I take the hard-top off, I usually leave the Freedom Panels on, because I'm dark (and handsome) enough already, and don't want more sun.

I've started to call this configuration "backless", just like my favorite kind of dress. Not that I wear women's clothing, myself, but heck...I'll try anything once.

Sponsored

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I laugh cuz 4 of my friends have Wranglers. I am forever giving them crap when their Jeeps aren't naked. Usually when its too cold or too hot out to do so.

"Why even have a Wrangler if you are just gonna leave the doors and top on, geez!"

They keep telling me "Can't wait til yours comes in so we can bitch at you about the same thing"

Then I say "Oh, I'm never gonna take anything off."
That really gets them going.

But my cop friend had a much better idea. He says, what you do is one day just take off the drivers door, next time its back on but the rear passenger door is off.

What is that like 5000+ combinations of the tops and doors?

Fun times

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
This will not work on the 2020 2dr Rubicon. Just tried it tonight.

linuxos77

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Ha ha. Nope not click bait. I've never seen anyone doing it, so I wasn't sure if you can. Thanks for responding despite your doubts.

Yes, it seems like a logical thing, but I thought it was logical that you could drive with rear glass open to haul a long item. Many people said that was a bad idea though, so I figured I'd ask. I did a search first and couldn't find were anyone had asked it before. Rookie question I guess. :blush:

Thanks again.
What's wrong with driving with the rear glass open, I haven't done it myself but I've seen plenty of people do. Only thing I can think is maybe if it's a bumpy ride it puts stress on the hinges and glass?
Sponsored