I'm thinking of trading to a Bronco

Rubidoc

First Name
AA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Basically, I got mine six weeks ago and I could hardly keep it in a straight line, and requires constant correction. Lowering the tire pressure made a HUGE difference, however, I still have some wandering and I made an appointment to get it checked at the dealership.

I took my jeep to the dealership on Monday and they got back to me by noon saying, the alignment is spot on and everything checked out, it is a "jeep thing". I sent them the video below saying it drifts heavily to the right and asked to be tested at a higher speed. No manager wanted to drive it on a highway and it sat there for two days. Finally, today, I got a text saying it drives like a 2 doors wrangler, please come and pick it up. This is ridiculous for a $53k vehicle. I got an offer by Caemax of $6k less than what I have paid for including taxes which I can itemize at the end of the tax year. I do not know if I'm jumping off a sinking ship or making a mistake.

Sponsored

Last edited:

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Basically, I got mine six weeks ago and I could hardly keep it in a straight line, and requires constant correction. Lowering the tire pressure made a HUGE difference, however, I still have some wandering and I made an appointment to get it checked at the dealership.

I took my jeep to the dealership on Monday and they got back to me by noon saying, the alignment is spot on and everything checked out, it is a "jeep thing". I sent them the video below saying it drifts heavily to the right and asked to be tested at a higher speed. No manager wanted to drive it on a highway and it sat there for two days. Finally, today, I got a text saying it drives like a 2 doors wrangler, please come and pick it up. This is ridiculous for a $53k vehicle. I got an offer by Caemax of $6k less than what I have paid for including taxes which I can itemize at the end of the tax year. I do not know if I'm jumping off a sinking ship or making a mistake.

Have you tried the same stretch of road at the same speed with a different car to see if the same occurs? Roads have a slope to them so that water will not pool. I notice my vehicles follow the slope as well.

How is the tire pressure?

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I had some steering problems on my '19 that were eventually fixed with the steering box that should be the one in 2021s... That being said, Rubicons are on the bad end of the acceptable steering geometry range because they are slightly lifted. Many folks recommend changing your lower control arms to the slightly longer ones that are included in the Mopar lift to compensate and firm up your steering. It's a potential $60 fix (if you put them in yourself) instead of a $6000 loss. I put 4dr Rubicon suspension into my 2dr Sport, and I didn't feel the need for the longer LCAs, but I have narrower tires, so it's probably not as floaty as Rubicon tires.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX

Is yours a 21 MY? If not, you will want the TSB to replace the aluminum steering box with the newer cast iron unit-this is very important if you have a pull/drift to one side. Also as has been already been mentioned, installing either the Mopar lift front lower control arms or adjustable aftermarket LCA's will increase positive caster and definitely improve directional stability / tracking.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
While the other posts may be valid it's important to know that a Jeep Wrangler is not a highway vehicle. It can go on the highway but that's not it's wheelhouse. To truly appreciate the JL's highway handling, drive an older Jeep. Driving a YJ on the highway was like walking an excited husky puppy. You can hold it to a general direction but it gonna try to go where it wants to go (which is all part of the fun). The JL is much, much more behaved on the highway than its predecessors. I know older Jeeps and I consider the JL to be rock solid. My wife is used to IFS cars and finds the JL very wandery. It's all about perspective.

ifonline

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Small Business Owner
A few months ago I got a 2021 Rubicon Unlimited after getting out of a Genesis G80 Sport. I knew what I was getting into, at least as far as my research informed me, but leaving the dealership in the Jeep was an eye opening experience. I felt like the Jeep was never going to track straight and I kept thinking back to how silky smooth the G80 Sport was. That thing was like driving on rails, while the Jeep was like driving on ice.

However, at no point did I feel like I made a mistake in going with the Jeep.

I knew it was just going to take time to acclimate to how the Jeep operates, and after a week or so I settled into the characteristics of the driving experience and found that everything was fine. Today, I embrace the quirks and love the experience, especially because the trade off is that I can go places that the G80 Sport never dreamed of.

If it were me, I would stick with the Jeep and settle into it.

davers

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Willy's Diesel 4 door Sarge Green
Occupation
Software Engineer
Owned two TJ’s quite awhile ago, and have been driving Ford Taurus’s and Ford Edge’s for the past 15 years. Those vehicles drove like you were on rails and only required a fingertip to keep them straight. Just got my 2021 Willys about a month ago and my first drive on the highway was like “Ohhhh…..I remember this!” The jeep wanders from one side of the lane to the other and requires constant input from me to keep it between the lines..at least compare to the Fords I’ve owned. I don’t mind it so much, at least I don’t get lulled into a false sense of security. :) I’m sure with time it’s something I won’t even think about or even notice..

Sponsored

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

I have a 21 JLUR and haven’t experienced this yet. Does it happen at a particular speed. I mostly drive on roads that are 55mph or slower? My previous vehicle was a Tundra which was better on road than the Jeep but not by much. I’m not doubting you in any way, I just keep reading about this and am not sure If I got lucky or if there is some sort of time pd when this happens.

Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

My initial knee jerk reaction was to tell you “ don’t let the door hit you in the ass” but I thought better of it. After all, one of the main reasons I joined this board was to learn and give others help with the little bit I know. So do as others have mentioned and get your longer lcas on, it will help a lot. You’ll likely not get rid of it 100 percent being a short wheelbase solid front axle vehicle, but it will help enough that you won’t be thinking crazy shit like getting a Jeep knock off.

One more thing , don’t bother with the dealer unless you’re in need of warranty work, they are a little less than useless with everything else, you come here, there’s a lot of knowledge on this board........enjoy your new addiction......✌

Last edited:

Civil_Willy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Willys
Have you tried the same stretch of road at the same speed with a different car to see if the same occurs? Roads have a slope to them so that water will not pool. I notice my vehicles follow the slope as well.

How is the tire pressure?
I had initially thought the same thing, but watching the video, it is a 4 lane divided highway, the slope in the lane he is driving in would be toward the median (middle) barrier for drainage, so it would pull him to the left, not right. Good question on tire pressure, but that is a lot of pull. Really good idea to try another vehicle. Maybe even another Jeep if you could get your hands on one to try.

While the other posts may be valid it's important to know that a Jeep Wrangler is not a highway vehicle. It can go on the highway but that's not it's wheelhouse. To truly appreciate the JL's highway handling, drive an older Jeep. Driving a YJ on the highway was like walking an excited husky puppy. You can hold it to a general direction but it gonna try to go where it wants to go (which is all part of the fun). The JL is much, much more behaved on the highway than its predecessors. I know older Jeeps and I consider the JL to be rock solid. My wife is used to IFS cars and finds the JL very wandery. It's all about perspective.
Not sure I agree on this one. While it may not be as smooth as some cars (ok, most cars) the Jeeps have come a long way. The reality many of us can't afford to have our Jeeps not be our daily drivers.

I recently took my 2020 on an over 1200 mile trip and didn't have any of these problems. It seems to me to be the same problem others have had with steering box. If you read on the forum there are a lot of instances and videos doing the same thing observed here.

Unfortunate if it is still present in a 2021.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
My Jeep was "all over the place" right off the dealer's lot. I drove a Lexus before this and the change was really drastic IMO. I got used to the highway "floating" and I just accept it as that's just the way Jeeps drive and you either get used to it or get rid of it. Everything else I like about my Jeep trumps the highway floating. My wife hates it, but she doesn't have to drive it every day so she only bitched about it the first and only time she ever drove it, but she still says it "looks good".

sconrad24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Willys JKU, 2021 4XE
Did they balance the tires? What pressure are you running? Could you swap out tires to more street friendly ones? I had a two door JK. The thing was all over the road until I lifted it and put geometry correction brackets (which like everyone suggested, lowers your caster). But still was flighty on windy days. My current jku is very touchy with its duratracs. If its higher than 38 psi, the tires are bouncy and follows every groove. Ive found a sweet spot at 34/35 cold, 36/37 warmed up. Judging by the video id say that it was a crosswind on high psi. Id say try lowering by 3 to 5 psi and see what happens.
Sponsored