First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have a total of $17,745 in mods. With mods, service, and the Jeep it's a total of $71,503. I don't know what I spent in gas. I've kept track of all of my gas but not cost. Only miles driven and gallons. My average mpg for the total of 3637.18 gallons of gas and 64,450 miles is 17.8. The Jeep is 2 years, five months old. The first 8 thousand miles I was stock. From then on I've had 37" BFG KM3 tires on.
Sponsored

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
$1,470.47 in fuel. but who is counting😏

Rule # 2
Don't talk about expenses.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
I have $10,000 in parts either in my house or already ordered for a JL that hasn’t even been built yet. 🙄

Sponsored

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'm probably around $20k in mods as well but I'd prefer not to think about it 🙃

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I'm having a different experience - my JLU is carrying around $39K net, below what I paid for it. It MSRPd at ~$49K and i paid $44K. I took the $5K in negotiated savings and ~$15K in mods I didn't do right away and invested the balance. That chunk is up almost 25% so far this year, netting me almost $5K off my original purchase price. My un-modded JLU is fun, looks and drives great, and hasn't gotten stuck once. At this rate it could pay for itself in a few years.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
That was with 8 months off............
Wow your still in lock down? Or second lock down?
Sydney had a lockdown in April 2020 for about 6 weeks so this is now our second lockdown. The Delta variant got here recently because a driver picking up air crew failed to wear a mask.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Sydney had a lockdown in April 2020 for about 6 weeks so this is now our second lockdown. The Delta variant got here recently because a driver picking up air crew failed to wear a mask.
You actually believe that? I’m sensing the sarcasm…

Sponsored

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Its what happened
I’m sorry for even bringing it up. That was my mistake for even taking the bait.

I come here to get away from anything COVID, politics or news related. Poisonous content.

I wish you blessings my friend.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 3.6 Auto
Had a buildsheet since before I started saving for the Jeep itself. Fear by the time this Ursa-Microcamper is completed, I could as well've made a six figure down payment on a piece of land with a house on it here...

At least there's much less space I have to vacuum clean in the Jeep compared to a house, so I tell myself I made the smart choice for once:computerrage:.

Last edited:

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
If you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell.

OP, you never get mod value. This is why guys regularly 'revert to stock' and sell off parts when they get rid of a vehicle. That said, I'm of the mindset to keep it built, mods add SOME value. Maybe half of what you spend on them. But it all depends on the buyer.
And that said, I came from a mostly stock YJ. It was liberating to leave it alone as I considered it a 'survivor' and collectible. First vehicle I haven't modded in a long time. Then my wife made me sell it because I 'can't have 2 Jeeps.' I've spent about $600 in mods on the 2020, half of that being a Willys grille. Spent almost as much on OEM parts to fix issues, soft top latches and a revised steering box.
It was 1 of 25 in the country, in the spec I wanted last year. A local used car dealer tried to buy it from me right away, I told them they couldn't afford it. It's priceless to me.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
My wife and I were just talking about this yesterday. About a week or so ago I traded in my built JL Sport for a 2021 Rubicon (see my profile; not updated yet).

We were discussing upcoming mods; frame-mounted rock rails with steps were ordered Monday and will be in next week. I was looking at bumpers, winches, lift kits, etc. after placing the order, and asking her opinions. The following conversation ensued. I went into military lingo mode - my comfort zone.

She was adding up the costs in her head. “So...you’re telling me this is gonna run us about 5-6K when it’s done???”

”Ma’am, yes ma’am. As you know ma’am, we battle-staffed this before the trade. As you recall, I published a MODPLAN for this operation. From that, I have refined it to this MODORD,” I said, as I handed it to her. “Metrics have been updated based upon current needs.”

The General gave me her steely-eyed look for a few long moments. Her reply: “Our current base of operations has some logistical priorities which will take precedence.”

I nodded. “Roger that, ma’am,” I said, as I went and grabbed a beer and changed the subject.
Wow, I feel very shabby here. Paid $32K for my 2019 and total mods are under $100. It does accomplish the mission, though, so I guess it's adequate. As a Marine of mid 1960s vintage, I'm accustomed to working with minimal resouces, though, so no prob.
Sponsored