Sponsored

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR

Great video, as usual.

SPOILER ALERT!

The Defender's 20" wheels see two flat tires within about 50 yards. Gets left for dead. Womp womp.

The Bronco is noticeably bigger than the Wrangler, can't choose its lines as carefully due to its size, and doesn't articulate as well.

The 4xe puts in a strong showing by running battery only for 3.1 miles of very gnarly trail. With 35s on the Wrangler, it clearly would have been the walk-away winner. The Bronco seems like a great competitor, but...

Jeep Wrangler JL TFL compares 4xe, Bronco, and Defender on serious off-road trail tenor

MEGA SPOILER ALERT! Tommy drops an F-bomb.
Sponsored

OP
OP

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
This is a far more important comparison than all those drag strip videos. I must say: I'm very impressed by the 4xe. It doesn't really work for my personal usage case, but I totally see why owners love them.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Does make you wonder how a BEV will go once it hits the trails for range considering the massive drop in offroad range for the Wrangler in this test.
It’s odd that it was only showing 8 miles of range at the start of the trail? Was it only partially charged to start? I could see losing 50% of the range in low range, but 85%? Something doesn’t add up. The only thing the bronco did better was having 35’s and comfier seats. How Ford claims more articulation is beyond me.

Sponsored

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
The Wrangler clearly won. And once they get their hands on the Rubicon Extreme Recon there will be zero doubt who the true king of the off-road world is. Squatch will be squashed once and for all.
Until it’s time to go through some whoops or catch some air… then Bronco dominates. Is wrangler going to be better in the rocks? Absolutely. But Bronco is WAY better in the desert running stuff. It’s all trade offs.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Until it’s time to go through some whoops or catch some air… then Bronco dominates. Is wrangler going to be better in the rocks? Absolutely. But Bronco is WAY better in the desert running stuff. It’s all trade offs.
My trail rides are more slow paced navigating through trees, water holes, hills and such. And I don’t think it will take long for shit to brake continually airing out the Bronco.

Yes, IFS has some advantages, but the Bronco is a behemoth and tight trails will be an issue.

I’ll stick with my JLUR, as I have zero plans on running the Baja 500 with it.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
My trail rides are more slow paced navigating through trees, water holes, hills and such. And I don’t think it will take long for shit to brake continually airing out the Bronco.

Yes, IFS has some advantages, but the Bronco is a behemoth and tight trails will be an issue.

I’ll stick with my JLUR, as I have zero plans on running the Baja 500 with it.
That’s what’s so cool about competition. Now there’s options, you can pick and choose trade offs. Give up some articulation for on road manners and the ability to haul ass down some washboard roads or so some desert running. Or go all out and pick up an Xtreme recon and you’re ready for 37’s from the factory.

As I’ve said before, by 2030 I want a factory Jeep on long arms, tons, and 40’s vs a Bronco with full on race suspension, portal axles, and 40’s. That’s the future I want.

F2F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Sport Altitude 2.0L Turbo
Great video! The Jeep and Bronco did great. I mostly off-road in Uwharrie here in NC and I would be worried about having a wider vehicle. Even my JLU has cut it very close many times.

Also, someone should make Bronco trailing arm protection plates stat! It seems they hang pretty low.

Sponsored

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Articulation. Same obstacle, with the swaybar disconnected on both vehicles. :LOL:
Jeep wins here, no doubt, but the sway bar disconnect is still a nice feature on the Bronco, as it is clearly allowing some articulation. My old IFS offroader would get hardly any articulation out of the IFS (with the swaybar connected.)

OP
OP

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
Jeep wins here, no doubt, but the sway bar disconnect is still a nice feature on the Bronco, as it is clearly allowing some articulation. My old IFS offroader would get hardly any articulation out of the IFS (with the swaybar connected.)
I'll be curious to see how the Bronco does on RTI versus a KDSS-equipped 4Runner.

The KDSS 4Runner does surprisingly well -- better than a Mojave Gladiator (but not better than a Rubicon with the swaybar disconnected).