Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Last week I ran the Rubicon Trail with OBJLU. It is an amazing off road experience as it has amazing views, lots and lots of obstacles, slabs, drops, tight squeezes. Trees that just love to bang up your panels and hard top (ask me how I know).
Thankfully we made it through with no breakage. For those that are really interested in running the Con, I highly recommend joining the rubicon trail group on facebook. Just this past week you will see a guy with JLUR diesel that broke his fuel filter/water housing separator. Another dude in a JKU broke his steering box.
We saw a total of 6 broken jeeps including one with broken spider gears, another with broken track bar mount, broken driveline, we saw a very built JKU with both rear axles pulled at Buck Island Lake.
At the end of our trip I saw what looked like a JKU with a busted T case getting towed out.
The stories are real. This trail, although not the most extreme, will get you with its RELENTLESS obstacles.
We had some local guides with us which took us through some real nice lines. We bypassed the soup bowl and the little sluice but did some of the harder lines on the trail.
My JLU sahara with rubicon axles and the 4-1 case did great. Got high centered twice on 37s but this happened at the most difficult sections of the trail right after Buck Island dam. OBJLU with his 39s was able to clear the obstacles which got me. Lots of spotting. We took it easy and finished the trail on Thursday at noon and were all able to drive home in one piece!
Carnage: my hardtop took a little scraping coming down a ledge 50 yards from our campsight.
Steering stabilizer bracket got pushed back which moved the stabilizer, got bent a bit. Stabilizer got tossed in the trash.

61692DF6-C418-4C64-9BDA-A4CB84C1F974.png

48BABEBC-2900-4FE8-B9FB-B6F358F7C635.png

1712D04B-0BC4-44DA-A23F-D369593727B9.png

3EBDE4DB-0287-4132-8FE5-28EBD62D6D60.png
I see you had 37’s, what mods did you have that help you make it?

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Thanks for the trip report and glad you made it with minimal damage. My son and I are going this Friday for the 3 day Jeep Jamboree.
Take some pics, I live in the Reno area and would like to do that trail someday if I can get away from work.

Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
so that means i did it 33 air down lol
Seriously the tires helped a lot otherwise I would have had to have been much more dependent on following your lines in between the “obstacles “ lots of times I was too far from you to look at your lines so I got to take my own until we got to a “named” obstacle. I might have had a little trouble if I was on smaller tires and not had guidance

Deleted member 59098

@Aframedweller sounds like the Hi-Landers poker run? Was there as well...good times. Seems like a nice small sampling of the trail.
Yeah did the hi-landers run. I just made it to Tahoe today with Jeepers Jamboree. Skid plates and sliders took a beating and some other dings. It’s very mental, but a well armored Jeep on 35s can pull it off pretty easy.
Sponsored