Rubicon trip report

yotajeeper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 1996 toyota4runner
Last week I ran the Rubicon Trail with @OBJLU. It is an amazing off road experience as it has amazing views, lots and lots of obstacles, slabs, drops, tight squeezes. Trees that just love to bang up your panels and hard top (ask me how I know).
Thankfully we made it through with no breakage. For those that are really interested in running the Con, I highly recommend joining the rubicon trail group on facebook. Just this past week you will see a guy with JLUR diesel that broke his fuel filter/water housing separator. Another dude in a JKU broke his steering box.
We saw a total of 6 broken jeeps including one with broken spider gears, another with broken track bar mount, broken driveline, we saw a very built JKU with both rear axles pulled at Buck Island Lake.
At the end of our trip I saw what looked like a JKU with a busted T case getting towed out.
The stories are real. This trail, although not the most extreme, will get you with its RELENTLESS obstacles.
We had some local guides with us which took us through some real nice lines. We bypassed the soup bowl and the little sluice but did some of the harder lines on the trail.
My JLU sahara with rubicon axles and the 4-1 case did great. Got high centered twice on 37s but this happened at the most difficult sections of the trail right after Buck Island dam. OBJLU with his 39s was able to clear the obstacles which got me. Lots of spotting. We took it easy and finished the trail on Thursday at noon and were all able to drive home in one piece!
Carnage: my hardtop took a little scraping coming down a ledge 50 yards from our campsight.
Steering stabilizer bracket got pushed back which moved the stabilizer, got bent a bit. Stabilizer got tossed in the trash.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon trip report 61692DF6-C418-4C64-9BDA-A4CB84C1F974

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon trip report 48BABEBC-2900-4FE8-B9FB-B6F358F7C635

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon trip report 1712D04B-0BC4-44DA-A23F-D369593727B9

Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon trip report 3EBDE4DB-0287-4132-8FE5-28EBD62D6D60
Sponsored

Last edited:

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Wow… sounds amazing. Glad you and your rig survived!

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Gnarly. Do two doors do better on the rubicon?

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I ran the Rubicon Trail last year. I was able to get 4 JLURs through with zero damage to the three on 37s, the stock JLUR with no lift and 35s, had some minor damage. Well, he fucked up his rear stock plastic bumper dropping of ledges.. It required that I walked about 90% of the trail spotting.

I explain the Rubicon as more of a marathon. It is unrelenting. The obstacles just never seem to end. It took us 17 1/2 hours to run from Loon Lake to Lake Tahoe.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
was watching a video yesterday where the guy says "It's a 22 mile trail. It takes 10 hour to drive, or 3 hours to walk. The vehicle takes a beating and so does the human spirit."
Thought that was funny as well as a good dose of discouragement for me trying lol

OP
OP

yotajeeper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was watching a video yesterday where the guy says "It's a 22 mile trail. It takes 10 hour to drive, or 3 hours to walk. The vehicle takes a beating and so does the human spirit."
Thought that was funny as well as a good dose of discouragement for me trying lol
Starting from loon lake it’s 9 miles of hard wheeling. Then another mile of moderate. Then 3 miles of fire road

OP
OP

yotajeeper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ran the Rubicon Trail last year. I was able to get 4 JLURs through with zero damage to the three on 37s, the stock JLUR with no lift and 35s, had some minor damage. Well, he fucked up his rear stock plastic bumper dropping of ledges.. It required that I walked about 90% of the trail spotting.

I explain the Rubicon as more of a marathon. It is unrelenting. The obstacles just never seem to end. It took us 17 1/2 hours to run from Loon Lake to Lake Tahoe.
It’s a great trail. Makes our local ones look real soft haha

Deleted member 59098

I did Loon to Wentworth a few weeks back and doing the entire trail with Jeepers Jamboree this week. Taking the entire family. They’re going to be in for a surprise.

Sponsored

broncoguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Ford Bronco, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Realtor
@Aframedweller sounds like the Hi-Landers poker run? Was there as well...good times. Seems like a nice small sampling of the trail.

iboostgti335

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Too friggin cool. Thanks for sharing!

tobyw

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU-R
Looks like you had a great time!!

I've run it several times and I'll stand by my initial observation in that some of the best wheeling lies in the section between Wentworth and the intersection with the entrance from Loon... 99% of people bypass this section but in my opinion, if you're making the trip from more than a few hours away, you might as well run the entire trail.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the trip report and glad you made it with minimal damage. My son and I are going this Friday for the 3 day Jeep Jamboree.

OP
OP

yotajeeper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like you had a great time!!

I've run it several times and I'll stand by my initial observation in that some of the best wheeling lies in the section between Wentworth and the intersection with the entrance from Loon... 99% of people bypass this section but in my opinion, if you're making the trip from more than a few hours away, you might as well run the entire trail.
For our first time we wanted to run it the popular way. Granite bowl poseur shots

A33E9C54-B0C9-4AD4-8CA6-69D5EC50E65C.jpeg
Sponsored