Broken Sky One Touch

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '11 LR4, '21 F-150 FX4, '08 620i Gator
First things first...I love the convenience of this top. Absolutely no regrets getting it. That stated, I noticed a bulge in the top this morning before getting in. Looks like a pop rivet holding the full length “band” used to close it tight failed on driver’s side. Anyone else seen this?

UPDATE: My fix worked up until now - August 2023. Just noticed the metal strap that attaches to the rivet (now screw) and forces the first roof section to fold up has officially snapped from what I assume is normal operation fatigue. BOTH sides with broken piece still on the screw above the soft strap. Sadly an inferior design. See last photo added just now. Now to find a fix for this…Hmmm

Jeep Wrangler JL Broken Sky One Touch 243B23F7-B335-42EE-B379-FEEB95D27F30
Jeep Wrangler JL Broken Sky One Touch 52FE688B-A572-4669-9587-82AED82A8207
Jeep Wrangler JL Broken Sky One Touch 1537F6E9-D285-40D9-8C35-1B7AE2BA3B6A

Jeep Wrangler JL Broken Sky One Touch IMG_1298
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
No problems I have heard about. I believe the tops are made by a sub contractor for FCA. I hope it is an easy fix.

OP
OP
Mikepa

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No problems I have heard about. I believe the tops are made by a sub contractor for FCA. I hope it is an easy fix.
Looking at the top's design, there is limited access to tools above and below the failed rivet. Guessing dealer would need to take top apart which frightens me about getting it back after weeks with something else wrong (e.g., leaks). I may try to pull/cut rivet out myself and replace with screw and nut that will not show through top above.

OP
OP
Mikepa

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fixed. Tedious as it was, I managed to cut and punch out the rivet. Found perfect length/width pan head in the misc screw jar, purchased $0.40 nut and voilá. No dealer service delays, scratches, etc. Guessing the passenger side may go at some point given poor anchor design.

B069A126-65F5-44CF-ACD0-7EF5A199B96D.jpeg

jdrubicon06

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU
This just happened on my 2020 Wrangler (2 months old). I heard a pop sound at about 45 mph while driving with it partially opened. Didn't notice until I went to close the top that the passenger side strap was hanging down. The rivet holding it in place is broken.

I temporarily put a ring on the end to clamp it in place until the dealer can fix it Monday.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikepa

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This just happened on my 2020 Wrangler (2 months old). I heard a pop sound at about 45 mph while driving with it partially opened. Didn't notice until I went to close the top that the passenger side strap was hanging down. The rivet holding it in place is broken.

I temporarily put a ring on the end to clamp it in place until the dealer can fix it Monday.
Sorry to hear but somewhat surprised this has not happened to more owners. Happened to me early as well.

Good luck with dealer repair. I was too afraid of collateral damage and long delays with dealer. Fixing it myself took very little time in my garage, costing less than $1.

canc1978

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Willy
this has happened to my 2019 jl rubicon, its been at the dealer for 3 days. For a rivet! at least they gave me a loaner

OP
OP
Mikepa

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
this has happened to my 2019 jl rubicon, its been at the dealer for 3 days. For a rivet! at least they gave me a loaner
That's exactly what I was afraid of. And I was afraid they would scratch things up trying to repair it. Best wishes.

Mikep

canc1978

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Willy
hope to have it back at the end of the day today. will be inspecting the work with a fine tooth comb.. seems silly to use such a thin rivet on something with so much tension when fully closed. your solution is much stronger. if it breaks out of warranty i will do what you did

OP
OP
Mikepa

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE: Hate to say I told you so but....

Had a strange fluttering of the top while open on the highway two days ago. Found the top of a rivet on the back seat floor yesterday. Closed the top fully last night and notice passenger side not tight. Yup. Passenger side rivet gave way just like the driver’s side.

DDD32F81-319D-4576-A724-9A49489F47D2.jpeg

Sponsored

canc1978

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Willy
Had my passenger side fixed late September and just noticed today now the driver side is busted. They need to find a real factory solution to this... Back to the dealer it goes...

OP
OP
Mikepa

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to hear. Thankfully you know what the problem and solution are. I read about leaks people have with their SOT roofs elsewhere in the forum, wondering how many are this problem rather than weather strip issues.

Regardless, If dealers are replacing the broken rivet with another [rather than using a screw/nut] then I suspect it will happen again and again.

Good luck.

jesnamy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Bikini (Amy)
Fixed. Tedious as it was, I managed to cut and punch out the rivet. Found perfect length/width pan head in the misc screw jar, purchased $0.40 nut and voilá. No dealer service delays, scratches, etc. Guessing the passenger side may go at some point given poor anchor design.

Jeep Wrangler JL Broken Sky One Touch DDD32F81-319D-4576-A724-9A49489F47D2
Have the same issue with wife’s Jeep. Can you tell me how you got the broken rivet out?

OP
OP
Mikepa

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have the same issue with wife’s Jeep. Can you tell me how you got the broken rivet out?
How you remove the broken rivet depends on how accepting you are to scratching its metal housing. I wanted to avoid too many scratches so I taped around the bottom of the rivet first. I started using a Dremel but got scared it would get away from me and stopped. I then used a series of small drill bits and vise grips to drill out and crush the bottom of the rivet. Tedious as mentioned but far less time and aggregation than handing the rig over to the dealer. I needed to hand paint a bit of black rattle can paint when done to touch up some scratches from my work. Sorry I did not take pics of the process

jesnamy01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Bikini (Amy)
How you remove the broken rivet depends on how accepting you are to scratching its metal housing. I wanted to avoid too many scratches so I taped around the bottom of the rivet first. I started using a Dremel but got scared it would get away from me and stopped. I then used a series of small drill bits and vise grips to drill out and crush the bottom of the rivet. Tedious as mentioned but far less time and aggregation than handing the rig over to the dealer. I needed to hand paint a bit of black rattle can paint when done to touch up some scratches from my work. Sorry I did not take pics of the process
Did you have to remove anything to access it and drill?
Sponsored