Sponsored

Suggestions for Black lug nuts

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Hard to believe the 20 pack is $110 and the 24 pack is $203 both on amazon. My math says that they're charging $23.25 for each of those additional 4 lug nuts! I only need 21 lugs total. I have the mopar third brake light relocation bracket which required you use two special lug nuts that allows you to secure the bracket to the lug nuts.

These do look they will fit the bill though, as the Qtec set I ordered do not have a large enough mushroom to cover the unpainted mating surface on the wheel where the lug nuts seat.
Might want to check the part #s, Gorilla has a set that's much cheaper but it's not the wide bevel seat that @Rhinebeck01 posted, it's quite narrow, still much better than the cheap splined lugs, but not as stout as those wide Gorillas.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
The gorilla splined look great IMO. Thanks for the suggestion @Rhinebeck01 ! The finish is far superior to the other splined set I have.

9AD0181C-D743-443C-AB17-C50E636910DD.jpeg
@RELBUS

Those look really good on that real nice looking 392 wheel!

Like any splined lug, best to not use air tools / power tools to remove or install them... Use those and you risk amputating a spline, etc..

After I wash and probably every third wash or so, I spray the lugs with a light coat of Pig Spit... Keeps the lugs looking like new for years..

Jeep Wrangler JL Suggestions for Black lug nuts s-l500

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
I use that stuff in my street glide. I’ll give it a shot on the lugs. The bike products work good! I’ve been using bug slide on my grille and windshield because the Jeep’s are bug magnets. It can be spotless otherwise and a quick ride later and the grille and windshield are covered. Bug slide and a microfiber and it’s clean again. BUT… I don’t think I’d try this on a black Jeep

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Jeep Wrangler JL Suggestions for Black lug nuts 20210723_190207

I just put these on. Gorillas.
What part # are those, the conical seat looks to be a pretty small diameter. Do they cover the whole seating area that the OEM lugs did? BTW, little bit jelly of that 392, actually a whole lotta jelly, NICE!!!

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392
What part # are those, the conical seat looks to be a pretty small diameter. Do they cover the whole seating area that the OEM lugs did? BTW, little bit jelly of that 392, actually a whole lotta jelly, NICE!!!
Thanks, loving it. The 392 is black so the chrome nuts really stood out. The part # is 76644NNC. It doesn't have the same diameter or bulk but the seating area is the same. On this set all lugs are locks using the socket key. I didn't care much for the Jeep lug nuts with the chrome covers. Also the factory doesn't have any lube on them.

threeve

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Code Monkey
@Alleycat14

Many of the aftermarket offerings have to small a base. ... an insufficient base.

The bigger the mushroom base, the better.

The Gorilla Lock System splined lugs have a very large mushroom... also at 1.62" in length, they do not stick out to far... and look very good on the JL stock rims.

Can be had in Black and Chrome. Recommend buying the 24 pack.

This offering has all lugs splined.... which means it takes the thief a tad longer to deal with all the splined lugs and to steal your wheels..
Gorilla Automotive 96644BDX Black Factory Style Wheel Lock System (14mm x 1.50 Thread Size, 24-Pack)

Jeep Wrangler JL Suggestions for Black lug nuts 20210723_190207
Thanks for this suggestion Rhinebeck01! I've had the 66743BDX kit (one locking lug per wheel) on backorder with Quadratec for weeks. Canceled that one, ordered this kit and had it in two days.

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
If you are looking for stock style (i.e. none of that splined jazz), then the gorilla ones are supposed to hold up well. I looked for awhile and found that just4jeeps had the best price per lug nut.

I paired mine with a set of black advancedwheel locks, and they are very similar in hieght.

https://www.justforjeeps.com/gorilla-factory-black-jl-lugs.html

https://advancedwheellocks.com/prod...e-seat/?_make=Jeep&_model=Wrangler&_year=2021
I have the Gorilla ones. They started to show rust after 2 years of Midwest weather. Not sure if that is par for the course?

Sponsored

R00STER

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6L - 6sp
I have the Gorilla ones. They started to show rust after 2 years of Midwest weather. Not sure if that is par for the course?
Ugh, not want i wanted to hear, as I'm in the STL area. Did you run impacts on yours? I have heard those ruin all black chrome or painted lugs.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have Gorilla's on my '18 JL and a '14 JK. (over 45,000 mi. on each with the Gorilla's installed)

The JK spends all Winter / year round housed outside in the Northeast and no rust on the Gorilla's.

The JL spends lots of time in the Winter in the Northeast and then is traveling all around the US.... no rust on the Gorilla's..

Yes, the Gorilla's get cleaned on occasion and Pig Spit applied to protect them. I do not use power tools on them that can nick the finish.

Like anything, metal, etc., they need to be cared for, not neglected or issues can arise.. No power tools used on them is paramount.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I have Gorilla's on my '18 JL and a '14 JK. (over 45,000 mi. on each with the Gorilla's installed)

The JK spends all Winter / year round housed outside in the Northeast and no rust on the Gorilla's.

The JL spends lots of time in the Winter in the Northeast and then is traveling all around the US.... no rust on the Gorilla's..

Yes, the Gorilla's get cleaned on occasion and Pig Spit applied to protect them. I do not use power tools on them that can nick the finish.

Like anything, metal, etc., they need to be cared for, not neglected or issues can arise.. No power tools used on them is paramount.

I bought the ones you recommended in this thread. They look and work great on the stock JLR wheels. The rust is starting on the edges of the splines. The dealer does the wheel rotations. I think power tools nicking the finish very much may be the issue.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought the ones you recommended in this thread. They look and work great on the stock JLR wheels. The rust is starting on the edges of the splines. The dealer does the wheel rotations. I think power tools nicking the finish very much may be the issue.
@viper88

Any and all brand / kind of lug nuts you use power tools on will get nicks/gouges and then comes the rust.... kinda comes with the territoriality so to speak. Keep them touched up, clean and protected if you are concerned about rust...

And yes, even with hand tools you have to be real careful and even then can get a nick.. if I were to see a nick I would touch up with a Sharpie, etc..
Sponsored