Sponsored

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
No, I got it. It just wasn't a good joke. Certainly not emoji worthy.

There are a few Hondas designed to go fast, just like how there are a few Fords designed to go fast too.
I guess fast is relative. Civic type r is the best bet, but it's quick and not fast by any means. The only fall back would be an NSX, and only the 2nd gen because the 1st gen is pretty abysmal how slow it is.
And literally anything can be fast when you mod it, so modified Hondas 100% do not count.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
To be fair, I still donā€™t understand why Jeep thinks we need two engines, the V6 and the 2.0T, with output numbers that are so close to each otherā€™s.

My guess is FCA intended the 2.0T to be something very different when it launched originally with eTorque. But the combination of a brand-new engine, an unfamiliar hybrid technology, a $1,000 price premium, and the total absence of marketing, resulted in it being a tough sell on the market. FCA had to put money on the hood to clear them off the lots.

At that point, FCA decided to strip the eTorque and the $1,000 premium out of the 2.0T, and here we are, with two motors with horsepower, torque and MPG numbers within earshot of each other.

In a perfect world, there should be an optional gas engine with a 350HP rating to plug the gap between the current 4 & 6 cylinders, and 392.

Iā€™ll bet if Jeep added the 5.7 HEMI to JL at a reasonable price, itā€™d sell well.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Its useless comparison. Every trim level and option package will be different in acceleration.

Bronco 1st edition 4 door is very heavy and will be slow...slower then any wrangler, while base 4 door Bronco v6 will be significantly faster...but not as fast as base 2 door v6 lol.

Some people do like to dragrace on the sand dunes in MI, but it's very small nitch.

And of course for those who want cheapish option with ample amount of power twin turbo v6 is good start to safely tune to have twice the amount of power then what it comes from factory.

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Car & Driver is reading like US Weekly, People Magazine, and Vanity Fair.

The pictures are nice thoughā€¦ šŸ˜

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Car & Driver cracks me up with their complete lack of comprehension of what these vehicles are for. Like, here is our in depth comparison of how these mountain bikes perform in the Tour De France.
...who cares? That's not the right tool for the job.
Since Car and Driver's "rebirth" two years ago they have gone downhill. I used to love to receive the magazine monthly but have canceled my subscription for these types of useless comparisons.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The problem, IMO, with both the Bronco and the Defender is they look too cutesy. With the Wrangler we've seen a gradual evolution of looks - and they've always looked aggressively styled. The other two jumped from badass-looking to "adorable" without the benefit of getting us used to the metamorphosis. [not that I would have]
That's a valid point. Despite all the issues TFL had with its first 2 Defenders, they swear it is one of the most capable off-road vehicles right out of the box on the market right now.

But, IMO, it is difficult to take Defender seriously as an off-road vehicle based on its posh looks.

Also, it doesn't help Defender's credibility when the only way to get a winch on it is through the dealer...for an eye-watering five grand!
Jeep Wrangler JL Car & Driver track tests 3.6L Wrangler vs. 2.7L and 2.3L Broncos 1627067617582

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
To be fair, I still donā€™t understand why Jeep thinks we need two engines, the V6 and the 2.0T, with output numbers that are so close to each otherā€™s.

My guess is FCA intended the 2.0T to be something very different when it launched originally with eTorque. But the combination of a brand-new engine, an unfamiliar hybrid technology, a $1,000 price premium, and the total absence of marketing, resulted in it being a tough sell on the market. FCA had to put money on the hood to clear them off the lots.

At that point, FCA decided to strip the eTorque and the $1,000 premium out of the 2.0T, and here we are, with two motors with horsepower, torque and MPG numbers within earshot of each other.

In a perfect world, there should be an optional gas engine with a 350HP rating to plug the gap between the current 4 & 6 cylinders, and 392.

Iā€™ll bet if Jeep added the 5.7 HEMI to JL at a reasonable price, itā€™d sell well.
I think Jeep would be better to do a hybrid more like a Prius and then keep the 392. Having so many engines seems trivial.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
I think Jeep would be better to do a hybrid more like a Prius and then keep the 392. Having so many engines seems trivial.
A decade from now there will be two options, a plug in hybrid and a full BEV. Thatā€™s just where the market is leading to its logical conclusion. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if the pentastar gets left behind in the next 2-3 years.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking about trading my '20 JLUR for something with more power. The 2l turbo would be the only option in something even REMOTELY as capable as the JLUR. Full size trucks with v8 or 3.5 ecoboost are just larger, more difficult to park and forget about taking them down the roads I use now in CO. Aftermarket parts are more expensive by a magnitude, no front locker which is a must, and they can't run 37s w/o major mods (other than HD models which exacerbate the other issues substantially). My issue is that i live at high altitude and regularly go to play above 10k ft. I was considering the 2l turbo but the battery and auto trans turned me off. I now have to regear the 3.6l on 37'' tires for altitude loss which isn't that big of deal.. it is what it is.

The diesel and 4xe are both selling at over $50k now, often close to $60k so they're out of the question as well (my JLUR 3.6/manual was 42k). And I won't even mention the $70k+ 392 which would suffer the same altitude loss and return 10mpg.

I'm going to regear to 5.13s in the next month, get my trans fixed, and wait to see what the Bronco brings once it's REALLY AVAILABLE.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
A decade from now there will be two options, a plug in hybrid and a full BEV. Thatā€™s just where the market is leading to its logical conclusion. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if the pentastar gets left behind in the next 2-3 years.
I don't think we have the electrical grids to support this.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
The 4xe is that hybrid, with it's 375 hp and 470 lb-ft of torque.
I haven't looked into the 4xe but I thought it was an electric for like 40 miles then a regular gas after.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
I haven't looked into the 4xe but I thought it was an electric for like 40 miles then a regular gas after.
It has an EPA rated electric only range of 21 miles (Prius is 25 I think) though I tend to get around 27 miles or so on a full charge. After that, similar to the Prius and other plug in hybrids, it's in Hybrid mode where you're using a combination of the 4 Cyl turbo and the electric motors.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
It has an EPA rated electric only range of 21 miles (Prius is 25 I think) though I tend to get around 27 miles or so on a full charge. After that, similar to the Prius and other plug in hybrids, it's in Hybrid mode where you're using a combination of the 4 Cyl turbo and the electric motors.
Well there it is. Are you getting 50mpg~?

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
Wish they would have tested a Rubicon 2dr with the 3.6L E-torque...my Jeep is quick!
Sponsored