Sponsored

How To Automatically Start Mobile Hotspot On Samsung When Connected To Your Jeep

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Most cell phone plans these days come with mobile hotspot included, so why pay extra to have it on your Jeep?

It's actually really easy to have your phone's mobile hotspot automatically start (and stop) when you get in your Jeep.

*The steps below are specifically for Samsung devices, because they require Bixby. Non-Samsung Android devices could probably use Tasker or a similar app, but may require some unique access for the mobile hotspot service*

First, you need two apps on your Samsung smartphone:
Bixby - should be pre-installed, but you need to set it up, etc.
Bixby Routines - available from the Galaxy Store (yeah, the one you probably never use)

Because Bixby is a system-level app, it has special access to certain parts of the OS, like activating/deactivating your mobile hotspot.

Steps:
  1. Open Bixby Routines, and click "Add Routine" at the bottom
  2. In the "IF" section, scroll down to "Bluetooth device" and choose "Uconnect" (or whatever you've named your Jeep) and make sure "Connected" is selected. Then click Done
  3. In the "THEN" section, click on "Connections" and choose "Mobile Hotspot" and select "On"
  4. Under "WHEN ROUTINE ENDS" leave the default of "Reverse actions"
  5. Click Next and customize the name of the routine and it's icon, if you wish.
Now, whenever your phone connects to your Jeep (via Bluetooth OR USB cable for Android Auto), it will automatically start your phone's mobile hotspot, and it will turn it off when you turn your car off.

You should also make sure that your phone's mobile hotspot is setup properly. To do this, go to Settings -> Connections -> Mobile Hotspot and Tethering -> Mobile Hotspot.

Here, you can adjust a few settings:

Network name - if you want to customize this
Security - I use WPA2-Personal
Password - recommended to keep randos from connecting to your hotspot
Band - I use 5GHz preferred, but you may want to use 2.4GHz for compatibility with certain devices

IMPORTANT - click on "Advanced"
You can adjust the maximum number of connections here - this can be helpful if you know that you'll never have more than X personal devices connected, as another way to prevent randos from connecting.

You can also change the timeout. I personally leave this on "Never", since I have the Routine setup to disable the hotspot when I get out of the car.
Sponsored

kermitjewel

Threads
Reaction score
anywhere, but always flipping off moderators
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito,
Most cell phone plans these days come with mobile hotspot included, so why pay extra to have it on your Jeep?

It's actually really easy to have your phone's mobile hotspot automatically start (and stop) when you get in your Jeep.

*The steps below are specifically for Samsung devices, because they require Bixby. Non-Samsung Android devices could probably use Tasker or a similar app, but may require some unique access for the mobile hotspot service*

First, you need two apps on your Samsung smartphone:
Bixby - should be pre-installed, but you need to set it up, etc.
Bixby Routines - available from the Galaxy Store (yeah, the one you probably never use)

Because Bixby is a system-level app, it has special access to certain parts of the OS, like activating/deactivating your mobile hotspot.

Steps:
  1. Open Bixby Routines, and click "Add Routine" at the bottom
  2. In the "IF" section, scroll down to "Bluetooth device" and choose "Uconnect" (or whatever you've named your Jeep) and make sure "Connected" is selected. Then click Done
  3. In the "THEN" section, click on "Connections" and choose "Mobile Hotspot" and select "On"
  4. Under "WHEN ROUTINE ENDS" leave the default of "Reverse actions"
  5. Click Next and customize the name of the routine and it's icon, if you wish.
Now, whenever your phone connects to your Jeep (via Bluetooth OR USB cable for Android Auto), it will automatically start your phone's mobile hotspot, and it will turn it off when you turn your car off.

You should also make sure that your phone's mobile hotspot is setup properly. To do this, go to Settings -> Connections -> Mobile Hotspot and Tethering -> Mobile Hotspot.

Here, you can adjust a few settings:

Network name - if you want to customize this
Security - I use WPA2-Personal
Password - recommended to keep randos from connecting to your hotspot
Band - I use 5GHz preferred, but you may want to use 2.4GHz for compatibility with certain devices

IMPORTANT - click on "Advanced"
You can adjust the maximum number of connections here - this can be helpful if you know that you'll never have more than X personal devices connected, as another way to prevent randos from connecting.

You can also change the timeout. I personally leave this on "Never", since I have the Routine setup to disable the hotspot when I get out of the car.
brilliant