Sponsored

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
If you want a true hybrid mode all the time, just don't plug it in. It runs like a true hybrid that way. The whole point of a PHEV is to have an urban-usable all-electric range. After that range is gone, it functions like a standard hybrid.
Sure, but if the ICE is on while there is a full charge it splits duty and you end up getting much better fuel efficiency than if the battery was at <1%. Think of it as like a "Max MPG" mode.

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Yeah, an old video I watched talk about Wrangler "Robinhood" trim.
That one sounds intentional to me. And with some of the markups I’ve seen, a pretty accurate description!

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
Sure, but if the ICE is on while there is a full charge it splits duty and you end up getting much better fuel efficiency than if the battery was at <1%. Think of it as like a "Max MPG" mode.
Oh, I don't know. Completely electric sounds like the max mpg possible to me. I haven't filled up in a month and I still have half a tank. I drive about 20 miles to and from work each day. I think I've only filled it maybe 6 or 7 times in 4300 miles because of long trips. One of those fill ups was because I was running an ICE break-in period by running esave.

Has anyone tried running out a full tank of gas on a long trip using the regular hybrid setting vs this manual forced method to see if there is any actual difference in total between them?

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Oh, I don't know. Completely electric sounds like the max mpg possible to me. I haven't filled up in a month and I still have half a tank. I drive about 20 miles to and from work each day. I think I've only filled it maybe 6 or 7 times in 4300 miles because of long trips. One of those fill ups was because I was running an ICE break-in period by running esave.
I'm on my first tank, in fact I've never even opened my fuel door, and I'm over 1k miles. I've done the bulk in electric only, and for the majority of my trips I can stay in electric only. But when I know I'm going 40+ miles round trip, especially if it's highway, I go manual, and can see a noticable difference in fuel economy between "manual hybrid" and "hybrid".

Sponsored

4xeRubicon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
It sounds like you have a hypothesis, but have not done the testing to prove/disprove.

I think someone said earlier that a true test would be to fill up and charge up, then highway drive in Hybrid until you run out of gas and electric. Then fill up and charge up again and drive a similar course using your “true hybrid”. Whichever one goes more miles is the winner.

Unless someone has done this, assuming you have outsmarted the engineers of a car company seems premature.

The MPG numbers on the dash display for a trip don’t mean much, as they are some unknown calculation that clearly isn’t rooted in the standard understanding of MPG.

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
It sounds like you have a hypothesis, but have not done the testing to prove/disprove.

I think someone said earlier that a true test would be to fill up and charge up, then highway drive in Hybrid until you run out of gas and electric. Then fill up and charge up again and drive a similar course using your “true hybrid”. Whichever one goes more miles is the winner.

Unless someone has done this, assuming you have outsmarted the engineers of a car company seems premature.

The MPG numbers on the dash display for a trip don’t mean much, as they are some unknown calculation that clearly isn’t rooted in the standard understanding of MPG.
I was going off of the real time power output and the real time mpg, not trip stats.

Objectively, in "normal hybrid" when the battery is depleted to <1% the battery output drops substantially compared to when it is in "manual hybrid" with >1% charge.

4xeRubicon

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Seems like the kind of test that Chris Hall would be good at. I'm interested to see the results, as I don't really trust any of the dash displayed figures regarding electric vs. gas usage. It seems like they all have quirks to them.

It seems like driving 25ish miles with no gas usage at the start of your trip is a huge MPG benefit to overcome via your method. It is an immediate 7-9% increase in your gas mileage, and you still get electric assistance for the rest of the trip.

I’m not saying you are wrong - you may be right - but I’d like to see the results of an experiment that proves it one way or the other.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
I was going off of the real time power output and the real time mpg, not trip stats.

Objectively, in "normal hybrid" when the battery is depleted to <1% the battery output drops substantially compared to when it is in "manual hybrid" with >1% charge.
So... interesting anecdote from my drive today.

Full battery, hybrid mode. Left town and headed toward NSB at ~70 mph. All electric for around 14 miles then two things changed. I turned off Max Regen and I hit a red light. Once I started going again, the ICE came on even though I wasn't accelerating hard. Checked to make sure I was still in Hybrid mode (I was), and the ICE never shut back off, it kept going and ran out the last 30% of the battery that way as I got onto I-95 and headed south.

Luvwine

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
So... interesting anecdote from my drive today.

Full battery, hybrid mode. Left town and headed toward NSB at ~70 mph. All electric for around 14 miles then two things changed. I turned off Max Regen and I hit a red light. Once I started going again, the ICE came on even though I wasn't accelerating hard. Checked to make sure I was still in Hybrid mode (I was), and the ICE never shut back off, it kept going and ran out the last 30% of the battery that way as I got onto I-95 and headed south.
Could it have been due to gas that is old or oil needing to be circulated? I have read that the ICE comes on sometimes due to these kinds of things.

Sponsored

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Could it have been due to gas that is old or oil needing to be circulated? I have read that the ICE comes on sometimes due to these kinds of things.
I think it gives you a message on the dash when it goes into refresh mode, but no, I had just filled up the night before so it shouldnt have needed that. Plus I end up using the ICE every once in a while anyways (at least once a week).

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
I work from home and the vast majority of my trips are <20 miles. The 4Xe would be perfect for me but I absolutely do NOT want a 4 door. I doubt they will ever be able to package this technology into a 2 door.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Wow!! 29 whole miles??

G.
I've been able to hit around 34 - 36 miles. This takes not going over 45 MPH, no climate control, and gentle acceleration.
Sponsored