OP
banessi

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Hard Top, Granite), 2013 Wrangler JK Sahara (Soft Top, Commando Green)
Vehicle Showcase
Sweet. What was the original size before you cut it? How much did it cost? What is the thickness? Can it roll up? And how comfy is it?
$125. 72x54x4.5 inches. It’s built for sleeper sofas and folded easily. I’m assuming it would roll easily and you could just tie it off. Super comfy. I got in to test space earlier. Wife and I were both able to spoon with plent of room. Could get our dog in too. The mattress doesn’t fall into the wells so instead of putting cushions in there I’m just going to use that space to fit backpacks or other items.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SF6QS...colid=UV0KZOTCCHEO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Sponsored

Last edited:

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I’ve always had good results with an inflatable mattress that’s slightly bigger than the space available. Put it in place before inflating, and it’ll fill in around the bumps and ridges nicely. Slept this way in my Honda Element and ‘87 yota. The JL should have as much room or more....

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Did you sew your own cover?

OP
OP
banessi

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon (Hard Top, Granite), 2013 Wrangler JK Sahara (Soft Top, Commando Green)
Vehicle Showcase
Did you sew your own cover?
No, the cover came with it. Just tucked it under. Both the inner and outer covers zip off for washing.

Last edited:

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
$125. 4.5 inches. It’s built for sleeper sofas and folded easily. I’m assuming it would roll easily and you could just tie it off. Super comfy. I got in to test space earlier. Wife and I were both able to spoon with plent of room. Could get our dog in too. The mattress doesn’t fall into the wells so instead of putting cushions in there I’m just going to use that space to fit backpacks or other items.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SF6QS...colid=UV0KZOTCCHEO&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
Thank you VERY much for this level of detail. I'm going to do the exact same thing. I've tried air mattresses and have never had a good night sleep on one. Memory foam is the way to go.

Sponsored

OP
OP
banessi

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you VERY much for this level of detail. I'm going to do the exact same thing. I've tried air mattresses and have never had a good night sleep on one. Memory foam is the way to go.
Yeah, haven’t slept on it but I think it will be fantastic. If you are a more sensitive princess and the pea type sleeper you may need to cover the gap with padding or a sweatshirt. Of course, that only applies to us cloth seat saps that weren’t deemed worthy of tha gap cover. Neither my wife or I found it to be a problem and actually found the very slight dip there to be comfortable.

OP
OP
banessi

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Lastly, can't emphasize enough the electric carving knife as the tool to cut with it was great.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Looks like I can get a Twin XL size 5" memory foam that is 38" x 79" for $79 w/cover. According to https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ons-measurements-cargo-trunk-rear-seats.2258/, the width between the wheel wells is 40.25" (so that would be 1 inch gap on each side) and 74" long. I'm assuming the extra 5" in length can be bent down in the gap between the front seats and the floor. Here is the link to the 5" memory foam: https://www.amazon.com/Linenspa-Inch-Memory-Foam-Mattress/dp/B01M5DJ3P7 Thoughts?

OP
OP
banessi

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like I can get a Twin XL size 5" memory foam that is 38" x 79" for $79 w/cover. According to https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ons-measurements-cargo-trunk-rear-seats.2258/, the width between the wheel wells is 40.25" (so that would be 1 inch gap on each side) and 74" long. I'm assuming the extra 5" in length can be bent down in the gap between the front seats and the floor. Here is the link to the 5" memory foam: https://www.amazon.com/Linenspa-Inch-Memory-Foam-Mattress/dp/B01M5DJ3P7 Thoughts?
74” is generous. I don’t think the gap between the console and the top of the seat would give you enough room to tuck it. If you have leather the cup holder might even narrow that gap. I think you would still need to cut. Outside of that it still sounds good and a little less work. If it’s just one person the space surrounding would be nice for gear.

OP
OP
banessi

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I slept two nights in it at the drop zone last weekend. Slept like a baby. It was super comfortable. I also bought these as mosquito nets.

TFY Universal Car Rear Side-Door Square-Window Sunshades - For vehicles with side windows 29.5'' - 41.5'' W x 19" H (Regular Rectangular Window) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y85UM7O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fsD2Ab3N2F77Y

F8C247C1-AB75-4BED-9132-76CE499A0E69.jpeg

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I slept two nights in it at the drop zone last weekend. Slept like a baby. It was super comfortable. I also bought these as mosquito nets.

TFY Universal Car Rear Side-Door Square-Window Sunshades - For vehicles with side windows 29.5'' - 41.5'' W x 19" H (Regular Rectangular Window) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y85UM7O/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fsD2Ab3N2F77Y

F8C247C1-AB75-4BED-9132-76CE499A0E69.jpeg
Very cool. I saw a video on how to make those sunshades / mosquito nets out of screen mesh, but these look and appear to fit better. How many sunshades were there in the order? 1 or 2? I can't tell by the description on Amazon. And did you cover all 4 windows?

OP
OP
banessi

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Very cool. I saw a video on how to make those sunshades / mosquito nets out of screen mesh, but these look and appear to fit better. How many sunshades were there in the order? 1 or 2? I can't tell by the description on Amazon. And did you cover all 4 windows?
They came with two. That’s all I used. It was enough to allow the breeze to come through.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
They came with two. That’s all I used. It was enough to allow the breeze to come through.
What did you do with the stuff in the back to make room for the mattress while sleeping? Do you have a roof top box, storage tent, trailer hitch cargo carrier, or ?

OP
OP
banessi

banessi

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What did you do with the stuff in the back to make room for the mattress while sleeping? Do you have a roof top box, storage tent, trailer hitch cargo carrier, or ?
Front seat and behind the front seats under the mattress.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Front seat and behind the front seats under the mattress.
Do you have any more pictures, like ones from the outside showing the sunshade / mosquito nets?
Sponsored