Sponsored

JL Wrangler Manual Transmission - 2nd Gear Disengagement (Popping Out of Gear)

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Has anyone else have/had issues with the 6 speed manual transmission? Did you resolve the issue?

I have a 2019 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with the V6 engine and 6 speed manual transmission. The vehicle is bone stock with 26,000 km (16,000 miles). 2nd gear seems to pop out of gear (disengage back to neutral position) usually at low speeds (30 km/h (19 mph)) and low RPMs. It usually happens from down shifting 3rd gear to 2nd gear.

I took the vehicle to the local dealership to diagnose the issue for the first time yesterday. They performed a reprogram to the powertrain module and topped off the transmission fluid. This did NOT resolve the issue. They claimed to have test drove the vehicle and could not recreate the issue.

I took the vehicle back to the dealership this morning for its 2nd diagnose. The dealership have confirmed that they will be pulling the transmission for further diagnosis. I will post future updates.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler Manual Transmission - 2nd Gear Disengagement (Popping Out of Gear) 1626806482394

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler Manual Transmission - 2nd Gear Disengagement (Popping Out of Gear) 1626806514087

I did find another thread on this from April 2019 but never heard a resolution on it.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jeep-jl-popping-out-of-2nd-gear.28595/#post-1576293
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
Has anyone else have/had issues with the 6 speed manual transmission? Did you resolve the issue?

I have a 2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with the V6 engine and 6 speed manual transmission. The vehicle is bone stock with 26,000 km (16,000 miles). 2nd gear seems to pop out of gear usually at low speeds (30 km/h (19 mph)) and low RPMs. It usually happens from down shifting 3rd to 2nd.

I took it to the local dealership yesterday and they performed a reprogram to the powertrain module and topped off the transmission fluid. This did NOT resolve the issue. I took the vehicle back to the dealership this morning and they have confirmed that they will be pulling the transmission for further diagnosis.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Wrangler Manual Transmission - 2nd Gear Disengagement (Popping Out of Gear) 1626806514087

I did find another thread on this from April 2019 but never heard a resolution on it.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jeep-jl-popping-out-of-2nd-gear.28595/#post-1576293
I do not have a issue or a resolution for your manual transmission popping out of 2nd gear but I do find it interesting that the dealer refers to the issue as a concern. I am also interested in what the dealers diagnosis is once they remove the transmission. Keep us posted.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I'm having the same issue. It goes to the dealer next week... :-(

OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rodeoflyer, keep me posted on what the dealership says/do.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Will do. I also have an extended bumper to bumper warranty through my lien holder so hopefully either Jeep or the aftermarket warranty cover it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So far there has been 5 Jeeps with the same issue.

JL Wranglers
jlushing
- Dealership provide no resolution due to lift kit. No resolution posted.

atso - No resolution posted.

Rodeoflyer - Taking it to the dealership to diagnose issue.

agordon117 - New transmission replacement.

JT Gladiator
Willy's 2020
- 2 transmission replacements.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/manual-transmission-kicking-out-of-2nd-gear.26961/
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/lost-second-gear-again.44890/page-4

hawk14414 - New transmission replacement.
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/manual-transmission-not-holding-4th-gear.24632/

If you know anyone else, please add it to the list.

Last edited:

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
His SECOND replaced trans??? Oh hell... I've been driving manual trans vehicles my entire life (over 35 years of driving) and have never had a manual trans problem.

Thank God I haven't dumped more than the $10k I already have into this Jeep :-(. Guess I'll get it fixed and start looking at the diesel or 392.

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella
Chiming in to say I had this issue on my 2018. My dealer replaced my transmission under warranty, no questions asked. I had to be very specific about walking them through replicating the issue, but once they saw it happen, they did the swap within a day. I suspected that the syncro teeth had sheared off on 2nd gear, but didn't really have a way to prove it since they didn't actually open or rebuild the transmission.

I could get it to occur even just decelerating in 2nd, without the downshift from 3rd.

OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chiming in to say I had this issue on my 2018. My dealer replaced my transmission under warranty, no questions asked. I had to be very specific about walking them through replicating the issue, but once they saw it happen, they did the swap within a day. I suspected that the syncro teeth had sheared off on 2nd gear, but didn't really have a way to prove it since they didn't actually open or rebuild the transmission.

I could get it to occur even just decelerating in 2nd, without the downshift from 3rd.
Thanks for posting. That makes it 7 jeeps. What the mileage on the first and second transmission?

agordon117

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR HellaYella
I no longer have the vehicle, but I'm gonna guess I took it in around 19k miles, and I sold it around 23k miles. It started popping out much earlier than 19k, where I took it in, but it was very sporadic at first, to the point that I thought I just wasn't seating 2nd gear properly. I checked to see if I had the service record, but I wasn't immediately able to find it

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine will pop out of second gear, but ONLY on deceleration, not acceleration, so I've just been working around it, which is easy to do once you understand when it happens.

I don't know what I'm going to do if they refuse my warranty claim.

OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think we all are experiencing the exact same issue. There's something wrong with the assembly of the transmission from factory. At first the disengagement only happened occasionally on deacceleration but the last few miles the frequency of the issue has increased significantly and at different instances/scenarios.

Rodeoflyer, I do hope warranty covers it for you some dealership are more modification friendly than others. You could possibly return it back to stock to get it warranty claimed. You also have a case that 6 other jeeps are experiencing the exact same issue.

OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
RubiconReese

RubiconReese

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got an update from the dealership. The dealership has decided to replace second gear and it's syncros under warranty. Unfortunately the parts are backorder with no timeline. I'm not sure if I am confident on having the dealership repair the transmission instead of replacing the entire transmission.
I'm also not sure if this will fix the root cause of the issue. I have quite a few years driving manual transmissions, so its not like I drove it without care and attention.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Backordered with no timeline eh? I've learned to live with the 2nd gear issue now since it's only on decel. It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to get your parts.
Sponsored