Sponsored

New Member & Initial Review! BMW X3 M40i to JLU Sport S!

JeepfromBMW

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S Billet Silver
Hey All,

I’m a new member and here is my initial review 400 miles after trading in my 2019 X3 M40i for a 2021 JLU Sport S. Yes, I know it’s quite a different vehicle to swap into from the powerful and precise X3M40, but I’m super happy in the decision! My other vehicle is a 2015 M3 Sedan 6spd for spirited nice weather drives and we also have a 2021 X5 Hybrid for our family outings with the little one.

Honestly, we just weren’t driving the X3 much now that we work from home most days and if we go somewhere as a family we would always take the X5. We need a second SUV though, especially in the winter and in case one of us has the X5 (my wife can’t drive stick shift in my M3). I’ve owned 9 BMWs and just wanted something different. I’ve always loved the look of a Wrangler and decided now was the time as X3 trade in values are sky high (like a lot of other cars) and I was able to get more for it than the cost of a new Wrangler… plus took advantage of the 0% Jeep financing.

Anyways, the JLU has been super fun this first 400 miles. Sure, it’s not super dialed in like a BMW on the road, but it doesn’t need to be and I’m actually really impressed by how well it rides around town. Highway speeds are fine, took a few miles to get used to how it steers and handles, but I like that it’s an engaging and enjoyable ride. When driving BMWs, I always feel like I need to speed for some reason… like the car just always wants to go faster and take a turn harder… but in the Jeep, I just easily drive along with a smile on my face like I’m going on a mini adventure from point A to point B.. and I’m always on the lookout for other Jeeps to wave at :). It’s fun and refreshing!

The 2.0L Turbo seems like it has plenty of power and the auto transmission is absolutely silky smooth. Very impressed by both.

Interior wise, there aren’t many options, just the power equipment and tech package, but I like how simple it all is. The Uconnect and 7” screen are great. Very simple and easy to use vs a BMW. Could use wireless carplay but that’s an easy plug in adapter upgrade. The interior materials are as expected m. Seems like solid build quality and finishes. Few rattles and wind noise is only noticeable at higher speeds. Can only imagine how nice an upgraded Rubicon would be with full leather. The Jeep has great visibility too. Don’t really need blind spot monitoring because it’s so easy to see out the windows. I like the upright driving position too for comfort and command feeling. A sliding rear seat would be awesome, but I know that’s asking a lot as even our BMWs haven’t had that.

The exterior just looks amazing in my eyes. It seems like such a beast, ready for anything you throw at it. I’m a fan of Rolexes due to the timelessness and how they hold value and the Wrangler gives me that same feeling! How could this look ever go out of style! I do wish I had the LED package, but I’m working on upgrading all the halogen bulbs to LED. The wheels and tires it came with are awesome. I drove a Willys first with mud terrains and did not like the handling / turn-in on winding roads above 30-40mph, but these all-terrains are much better and suit the car visually better than all-seasons IMO. Part of me does want to upgrade to 265 or 275 width tires just to get a bit more aggressive stance and it would be an opportunity to pick an absolute top of the line all-terrain tire. I also installed side steps that seem to double as mud flaps, sweet.

I went with the hard top since it gets a rear wiper and defroster. I’ll likely drive it all winter and will want that ease in keeping the rear window clean. I ordered a Bestop Sunrider and also looking into options to be able to easily remove the rear top. Took the doors off once to see how it’s done and it was fun to drive around but my wife prefers I leave doors on for safety. I think she’ll be fine if I go “naked” occasionally just around town.

Overall, I’m loving the Jeep. It’s opens up a whole new world of driving fun and I just love that it’s going to be super capable in any condition. I did drive it off road twice this week through some huge ripped up 100+ acre rural development sites. I was amazed by how well it did in very rough ground conditions with deep mud, rock, fallen trees, and huge dozer tracks. I would have been stuck immediately in any BMW SUV.

I’m pretty sure I will always have a Jeep from here on out! Those Broncos do seem a bit tempting and you get a lot for the money with them (seemingly more than the Wrangler at every price point), but the Jeep has heritage, character, look, a community, and timelessness that seems unbeatable right now. I think the competition will challenge Jeep to keep bringing their A game like the 4XE and 392. I look forward to seeing how they evolve in a tasteful way that respects the brand and legacy.

Thanks for listening!

Jeep Wrangler JL New Member & Initial Review! BMW X3 M40i to JLU Sport S! B0F53035-F798-4CE9-99F2-9ECFA8145007

Jeep Wrangler JL New Member & Initial Review! BMW X3 M40i to JLU Sport S! 4247DDA9-9EFE-4669-9374-7FBBF006D054

Jeep Wrangler JL New Member & Initial Review! BMW X3 M40i to JLU Sport S! 8832F09D-FCB2-47DD-AEC5-D622E4BB8CEE

Jeep Wrangler JL New Member & Initial Review! BMW X3 M40i to JLU Sport S! 1EEC1A32-34DE-42B4-947D-9A7A1F3B0302

Jeep Wrangler JL New Member & Initial Review! BMW X3 M40i to JLU Sport S! 59528841-C789-467D-984E-11DE6AE96BFD
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
Yup, Congratz and Welcome to the Jeep family! I will second what RagTop said ....Your daughter is adorable!!!

OP
OP

JeepfromBMW

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! She’s about 18 months and her new favorite word is “truck!” as she points to the Jeep :)

LatteSipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sahara 6MT, '23 Highlander
@JeepfromBMW Are those wheels stock on the JLU Sport S, or did you add them? What size? Those are nice looking. Thanks. (doing a little digging...these look like the Gladiator Rubicon wheels??)

Sponsored

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Hey All,

I’m a new member and here is my initial review 400 miles after trading in my 2019 X3 M40i for a 2021 JLU Sport S. Yes, I know it’s quite a different vehicle to swap into from the powerful and precise X3M40, but I’m super happy in the decision! My other car is a 2015 M3 Sedan 6spd for spirited nice weather drives and we also have a 2021 X5 Hybrid for our family outings with the little one.

Honestly, we just weren’t driving the X3 much now that we work from home most days and if we go somewhere as a family we would always take the X5. We need a second SUV though, especially in the winter and in case one of us has the X5 (my wife can’t drive stick shift in my M3). I’ve owned 9 BMWs and just wanted something different. I’ve always loved the look of a Wrangler and decided now was the time as X3 trade in values are sky high (like a lot of other cars) and I was able to get more for it than the cost of a new Wrangler… plus took advantage of the 0% Jeep financing.

Anyways, the JLU has been super fun this first 400 miles. Sure, it’s not super dialed in like a BMW on the road, but it doesn’t need to be and I’m actually really impressed by how well it rides around town. Highway speeds are fine, took a few miles to get used to how it steers and handles, but I like that it’s an engaging and enjoyable ride. When driving BMWs, I always feel like I need to speed for some reason… like the car just always wants to go faster and take a turn harder… but in the Jeep, I just easily drive along with a smile on my face like I’m going on a mini adventure from point A to point B.. and I’m always on the lookout for other Jeeps to wave at :). It’s fun and refreshing!

The 2.0L Turbo seems like it has plenty of power and the auto transmission is absolutely silky smooth. Very impressed by both.

Interior wise, there aren’t many options, just the power equipment and tech package, but I like how simple it all is. The Uconnect and 7” screen are great. Very simple and easy to use vs a BMW. Could use wireless carplay but that’s an easy plug in adapter upgrade. The interior materials are as expected m. Seems like solid build quality and finishes. Few rattles and wind noise is only noticeable at higher speeds. Can only imagine how nice an upgraded Rubicon would be with full leather. The car has great visibility too. Don’t really need blind spot monitoring because it’s so easy to see out the windows. I like the upright driving position too for comfort and command feeling. A sliding rear seat would be awesome, but I know that’s asking a lot as even our BMWs haven’t had that.

The exterior just looks amazing in my eyes. It seems like such a beast, ready for anything you throw at it. I’m a fan of Rolexes due to the timelessness and how they hold value and the Wrangler gives me that same feeling! How could this look ever go out of style! I do wish I had the LED package, but I’m working on upgrading all the halogen bulbs to LED. The wheels and tires it came with are awesome. I drove a Willys first with mud terrains and did not like the handling / turn-in on winding roads above 30-40mph, but these all-terrains are much better and suit the car visually better than all-seasons IMO. Part of me does want to upgrade to 265 or 275 width tires just to get a bit more aggressive stance and it would be an opportunity to pick an absolute top of the line all-terrain tire. I also installed side steps that seem to double as mud flaps, sweet.

I went with the hard top since it gets a rear wiper and defroster. I’ll likely drive it all winter and will want that ease in keeping the rear window clean. I ordered a Bestop Sunrider and also looking into options to be able to easily remove the rear top. Took the doors off once to see how it’s done and it was fun to drive around but my wife prefers I leave doors on for safety. I think she’ll be fine if I go “naked” occasionally just around town.

Overall, I’m loving the Jeep. It’s opens up a whole new world of driving fun and I just love that it’s going to be super capable in any condition. I did drive it off road twice this week through some huge ripped up 100+ acre rural development sites. I was amazed by how well it did in very rough ground conditions with deep mud, rock, fallen trees, and huge dozer tracks. I would have been stuck immediately in any BMW SUV.

I’m pretty sure I will always have a Jeep from here on out! Those Broncos do seem a bit tempting and you get a lot for the money with them (seemingly more than the Wrangler at every price point), but the Jeep has heritage, character, look, a community, and timelessness that seems unbeatable right now. I think the competition will challenge Jeep to keep bringing their A game like the 4XE and 392. I look forward to seeing how they evolve in a tasteful way that respects the brand and legacy.

Thanks for listening!

Jeep Wrangler JL New Member & Initial Review! BMW X3 M40i to JLU Sport S! 59528841-C789-467D-984E-11DE6AE96BFD

Glad to hear you're liking the Jeep. I have a BMW X3M Comp. that is over a year old and an '18 JLUR (with a 392 on the way!). They're so different that I still have not gotten fully used to bouncing back and forth between the two vehicles.

OP
OP

JeepfromBMW

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JeepfromBMW Are those wheels stock on the JLU Sport S, or did you add them? What size? Those are nice looking. Thanks. (doing a little digging...these look like the Gladiator Rubicon wheels??)
@LatteSipper They are definitely not stock as in the base offering but I didn’t add them, they were on the Jeep when I bought it with a 18 miles on the odometer. Here is a screenshot of the window sticker. There is a small up charge for a wheel/tire upgrade on there. 17x7.5. The tires are Bridgestone Dueller 245/75/17. I’d like to get slightly larger tires.

Jeep Wrangler JL New Member & Initial Review! BMW X3 M40i to JLU Sport S! 92C89707-B02B-4BD6-B905-F01CC4780CD3

Last edited:
OP
OP

JeepfromBMW

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad to hear you're liking the Jeep. I have a BMW X3M Comp. that is over a year old and an '18 JLUR (with a 392 on the way!). They're so different that I still have not gotten fully used to bouncing back and forth between the two vehicles.
Thanks! Yea, super different for sure. I just went out and drove my M3 for first time in 2 weeks of driving the Jeep and totally different. I freaking love both though!

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
Why does everyone assume that's his daughter? Judging by the hat and sunglasses, she could've been just a lost jazz musician wandering through the shot.

Just kidding, welcome your family to the Jeep family! Always been a fan of silver, btw.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Thanks! Yea, super different for sure. I just went out and drove my M3 for first time in 2 weeks of driving the Jeep and totally different. I freaking love both though!
F80?

Sponsored

OP
OP

JeepfromBMW

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why does everyone assume that's his daughter? Judging by the hat and sunglasses, she could've been just a lost jazz musician wandering through the shot.

Just kidding, welcome your family to the Jeep family! Always been a fan of silver, btw.
Haha! Yup, that’s her. The crooked hat is too big for her but she loves wearing it and a pair of shades!

Reactions: DHW

LatteSipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sahara 6MT, '23 Highlander
@LatteSipper They are definitely not stock as in the base offering but I didn’t add them, they were on the Jeep when I bought it with a 18 miles on the odometer. Here is a screenshot of the window sticker. There is a small up charge for a wheel/tire upgrade on there. 17x7.5. The tires are Bridgestone Dueller 245/75/17. I’d like to get slightly larger tires.

Jeep Wrangler JL New Member & Initial Review! BMW X3 M40i to JLU Sport S! 8E313B4F-F650-42CC-9E41-380EA9463384
Got it, thanks for sharing the details and sticker.

Nice looking M3 too! There’s zero comparison, but I sold my 2004 R32 (original owner, 33k miles) and my daily driver and simplified my life with just the JLU...no regrets. Enjoy!!
Sponsored