Sponsored

Jeep Ecodiesel FAIL...3rd time to the dealer in a month for low oil pressure warning light...ugh

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Currently at the dealer for they're 3rd attempt to fix this same problem...intermittent low oil pressure warning with a check engine light. I've owned this vehicle now for two months...Only 2800 miles. If it comes back after this time, per Georgia Lemon Law I can begin the Lemon Law process, and they get one more final attempt at repairing it. So far I can't say anything good about the Jeep brand or the service departments I've dealt with. No sense of urgency at all, I'm just another dumb schmuck who bought a Jeep. Jeep Cares called me today, told me they haven't even started looking at the problem, and it's been at the dealer a week already. Worst vehicle purchase I've made in my life!! :facepalm:
I had the same problem both times I changed the oil. The EcoDiesel's oil filter is very sensitive to properly oiled o-rings and proper seating. After I methodically reinstalled the filter, pressure was fine.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/1st-oil-change-for-diesel.51531/page-5#post-1310813
Sponsored

KNN

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Diesel
I had the same problem both times I changed the oil. The EcoDiesel's oil filter is very sensitive to properly oiled o-rings and proper seating. After I methodically reinstalled the filter, pressure was fine.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/1st-oil-change-for-diesel.51531/page-5#post-1310813
You were a big help when I was troubleshooting my low oil pressure issue too (read through your previous posts). The oil filter literally needed to be torqued down to spec. I've never had to do that before on any vehicle. Almost 3K miles since last oil change, no low pressure warning.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Try removing and reinstalling your oil filter using surgeon-like precision - and completely by the book. Make sure you also clean the inside of the housing where the filter is screwed in. And, as KNN said, your torque wrench is your friend. My guess is even your dealer is doing it wrong. Not "wrong" exactly, just doing it the way they've done it with every other vehicle.

On my 2nd go-around, even though I'd learned the trick from oil change #1, I still had to reinstall the filter a second time to eliminate the low pressure warning.

I would guess that your issue is as simple as that.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
My diesel JT has been absolutely flawless.
my 2017 4 runner (supposed to be the bar in reliability) was at a dealership for 3 whole months during the first 17 I owned it.

bad things happen sometimes. If the design was terrible I along with everyone else having a perfect ownership experience wouldn’t be

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
What dealer are you using? I have had good luck with Jasper Jeep's service department, and I drive past 2 other jeep dealers just to go there for our jeep. About to have to go up there for another oil change and for them to diagnose/fix my flashing locker light issue.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm sure I"d be pissed off too, but there's a lot of drama in your post. Have you asked if they checked the filter o-ring? The first time I replaced my oil/filter, I had the same indications. Took the filter off again, wet the o-ring with oil, problem gone.

Yep, and in fact there is a TSB out there about this. Certain oil filters are causing the issue. I can't recall the exact part number of those filters. But, this low oil pressure light issue is a simple fix in almost all cases. Just buy a new oil filter.

P.S. the correct torque spec for the filter is on the cap of the filter. Don't crank it down with He-Man force, and don't under-tighten it either. And make sure the O-ring is on the proper groove.

OP
OP
Snowscraper

Snowscraper

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Ecodiesel
It's crazy to me that the oil filter installation is that sensitive on the Ecodiesel. I'll definitely be paying close attention to this!

OP
OP
Snowscraper

Snowscraper

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Ecodiesel
What dealer are you using? I have had good luck with Jasper Jeep's service department, and I drive past 2 other jeep dealers just to go there for our jeep. About to have to go up there for another oil change and for them to diagnose/fix my flashing locker light issue.
First two times Newnan Jeep Chysler. This time around it's at Landmark in Morrow GA, where I bought the car.

OP
OP
Snowscraper

Snowscraper

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Ecodiesel
Yep, and in fact there is a TSB out there about this. Certain oil filters are causing the issue. I can't recall the exact part number of those filters. But, this low oil pressure light issue is a simple fix in almost all cases. Just buy a new oil filter.

P.S. the correct torque spec for the filter is on the cap of the filter. Don't crank it down with He-Man force, and don't under-tighten it either. And make sure the O-ring is on the proper groove.
Thanks!!
Try removing and reinstalling your oil filter using surgeon-like precision - and completely by the book. Make sure you also clean the inside of the housing where the filter is screwed in. And, as KNN said, your torque wrench is your friend. My guess is even your dealer is doing it wrong. Not "wrong" exactly, just doing it the way they've done it with every other vehicle.

On my 2nd go-around, even though I'd learned the trick from oil change #1, I still had to reinstall the filter a second time to eliminate the low pressure warning.

I would guess that your issue is as simple as that.
Thanks!!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For the record, I bought my filters on Amazon, but they were the correct number (as far as I know) Mopar-branded filter. Same part # as as the dealer uses.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Currently at the dealer for they're 3rd attempt to fix this same problem...intermittent low oil pressure warning with a check engine light. I've owned this vehicle now for two months...Only 2800 miles. If it comes back after this time, per Georgia Lemon Law I can begin the Lemon Law process, and they get one more final attempt at repairing it. So far I can't say anything good about the Jeep brand or the service departments I've dealt with. No sense of urgency at all, I'm just another dumb schmuck who bought a Jeep. Jeep Cares called me today, told me they haven't even started looking at the problem, and it's been at the dealer a week already. Worst vehicle purchase I've made in my life!! :facepalm:
Hi there. We see you sent us a private message as well. We will continue to work with you there regarding these concerns.

Kate
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
Snowscraper

Snowscraper

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Ecodiesel
For those of you that did have the low oil pressure warning, did you also get the check engine light?

KNN

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Diesel
For those of you that did have the low oil pressure warning, did you also get the check engine light?
I got a CEL about 2k miles after the oil change and no low pressure warning. It threw a P20EE code that went away after I refilled it w/ some fresh DEF. Previous stuff must have been trash.

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No CEL.

And...not only the oil pressure warning light, the gauge itself was registering half of the normal level at idle.

OP
OP
Snowscraper

Snowscraper

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Ecodiesel
Interesting....my oil pressure looks normal, but the grey face for the digital gauge turns red, throws a check engine light and a U connect warning on the app. Totally intermittent. It can be fine for a few days, then act up out of nowhere. No rhyme or reason for when it does it.
Sponsored