Sponsored

Is this normal? Steering wandering all over the place. Brand new 2021 Rubicon 2 Door

Gripster

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2D
Hi All! The wife and I just purchased our 2021 Rubicon 2 Door and I warned her it would drive like a Jeep, but when I started driving on the freeway coming home from the dealership I could hardly keep it in a straight line and requires constant correction. I need to verify the tire pressure (pretty sure I saw 39psi on the dash) and I think I need to take it in for them to show me the alignment numbers. Have others had this issue and was it able to be resolved? Without the ability to adjust caster, the only thing they could possibly change is toe in.

Thanks and this is my first post here on JL.

(edited the above for year and model :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jolly’s Jp

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR on 37s
Hi All! The wife and I just purchased this 2 Door and I warned her it would drive like a Jeep, but when I started driving on the freeway coming home from the dealership I could hardly keep it in a straight line and requires constant correction. I need to verify the tire pressure (pretty sure I saw 39psi on the dash) and I think I need to take it in for them to show me the alignment numbers. Have others had this issue and was it able to be resolved? Without the ability to adjust caster, the only thing they could possibly change is toe in.

Thanks and this is my first post here on JL.
Short answer…lower tire pressure around 32psi and Rubicon’s are notorious for low caster…if you are inclined to do so, order the extended Mopar control arms. It helps and doesn’t cost a lot if you are somewhat mechanically inclined.

Kevin

Last edited:

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 3.0 Turbo Diesel
I agree 100%
Drove mine home and it was like a dog chasing a cat for 200 miles
Got home and the tire pressure was at 44lbs, lowered it to the recommended 37 lbs and it was much better - going to lower it a little more to see the change. I have to look into extended control arms

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Mine drove better, or should I say, as it should after I put the longer control arms on. They’re fairly inexpensive as well.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
You don’t mention if your ride is brand new or used. 2018, 2019 and (I think) some 2020s had an aluminum steering box that did make things fun, especially in warmer weather. While the tire pressure definitely was a factor and the likely cause, this might be an issue if you have an older one.

If you have a 2021, you have the new steering box. If it is older, you can stick your head underneath and see. If it is black and steel, you are good … if it is silver and aluminum, get it changed. There are a lot of posts on here about it.

Either way, welcome to your new obsession.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
I also drove home from the dealer at around 44psi, and horrible, horrible steering. Like a constant windstorm simulation.

Toe numbers aren't usually a big deal, but both front tires with negative toe is truly awful on any vehicle. Don't even know how they can leave the factory like that. Alignment fixed the worst of my steering problems.

Air down, and check alignment first. Mine was bad enough to confirm with eyeball, then tape measure.

Welcome to the forum, and push in your fuses and relays!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
This is, by far, the most common issue discussed on this forum. Short answer: I see you have a Rubicon. Get the .25" longer lower front control arms and you'll be good. If you don't you'll be chasing your tail for the entire time you own the Jeep.

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
I have a 2021 JLR 2dr. Lowered my tire pressure to 34psi cold. Steering is better but not 💯 …. I am not very mechanically inclined. I noticed that you guys mention to change the control arms. Is that a definite fix? How do I know if I do need to replace the control arms or just get a alignment? Or both. What brand or type do you guys recommend? All info much appreciated. Please pardon my ignorance.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I have a 2021 JLR 2dr. Lowered my tire pressure to 34psi cold. Steering is better but not 💯 …. I am not very mechanically inclined. I noticed that you guys mention to change the control arms. Is that a definite fix? How do I know if I do need to replace the control arms or just get a alignment? Or both. What brand or type do you guys recommend? All info much appreciated. Please pardon my ignorance.
They are talking about the LCAs from the Mopar 2” lift kit. Part 68322798AA, one for each side.

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
They are talking about the LCAs from the Mopar 2” lift kit. Part 68322798AA, one for each side.
So purchasing & installing both those arms u listed should help huh? Pretty inexpensive just looked them up and they are like $30 bucks a piece. Thx a lot!

Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
What sort of issues are you having? Wandering, pulling, bump steer, loose steering, death wobble?

@Gripster has lots of wandering, so toe-out seems the best easy check/fix to do first to me, but every jeep is different.

The vast majority of stock Wranglers don't need new control arms to fix steering. Check your numbers first. Getting the alignment checked/corrected at the dealer is a good beginning, and should (better) be free.

For both of you, there is an incredible amount of information available on this subject on the forum. But nobody knows what will work with your particular jeep. Good luck.

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
While talking all this tech about how to correct a steering issue, let's not forget one simple, undeniable fact...
...a 2-door Jeep has a shorter wheelbase than most people are used to. If you shorten up the wheelbase, you WILL experience a much more sensitive steering behavior. Add to that the longer suspension travel of an off-road focused vehicle, and you are left with a package that leaves a lot of unsuspecting new owners put-off by their Jeep's handling mannerisms.

You may be able to tweak a few things, but a 2-door Jeep will always be a 2-door Jeep!

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
What sort of issues are you having? Wandering, pulling, bump steer, loose steering, death wobble?

@Gripster has lots of wandering, so toe-out seems the best easy check/fix to do first to me, but every jeep is different.

The vast majority of stock Wranglers don't need new control arms to fix steering. Check your numbers first. Getting the alignment checked/corrected at the dealer is a good beginning, and should (better) be free.

For both of you, there is an incredible amount of information available on this subject on the forum. But nobody knows what will work with your particular jeep. Good luck.
Thx for chiming in. I’m basically always having to chase or correct steering with highway speeds above 50 mph. Not extremely terrible but my JLR does like to travel in a straight line for too long.

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
Thx for chiming in. I’m basically always having to chase or correct steering with highway speeds above 50 mph. Not extremely terrible but my JLR does like to travel in a straight line for too long.
Just does not feel very stable at highway speeds.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU

I agree with @desmo2 , the short wheelbase on the two-door will exacerbate steering problems, then multiply by solid axles and add rear wheel drive.

There's a learning curve as well, since tall sidewalls will dampen/delay steering, often leading to constant overcorrection and sawing at the steering wheel.

Check alignment first, before randomly swapping parts. There are many here that can attest to there being no magic bullet.
Sponsored