Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
Clutch grenaded at 1000 miles and no problems after the warranty repairs and last recall ‘fix’ (2 years and 23K miles).

Got my Y07 notice in the mail last week. A crummy CYA firmware flash?

Jeep Wrangler JL Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate] A29AC67E-B94B-49D2-81B1-D41E20C09C74
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Clutch grenaded at 1000 miles and no problems after the warranty repairs and last recall ‘fix’ (2 years and 23K miles).

Got my Y07 notice in the mail last week. A crummy CYA firmware flash?
Hi At Risk Ute,
We suggest getting the recall performed for your safety and convenience. If you would like assistance while at the dealer, we are happy to help via private messages.

Rob
Jeep Cares

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Ugh, 3K for a clutch replacement (parts+labor). Dropping a Jeep tranny has to be simple. You'd think 400 parts, and 1k labor would be plenty and they're going to replace it with the same crummy design. Hopefully the aftermarket steps up like Centerforce has.
Here in the Midwest is cheaper. I took mine for the Y07 recall. I had noticed that the transmission was smeared with engine oil. Very small leak, but a leak none the less. So I asked about fixing the leak. They quoted $700 labor to replace the rear engine seal. So I asked if they would replace the clutch with a centerforce one for the same price, they say sure, we can do it at the same time, same $700 labor and we'll replace clutch and seal. There is nothing wrong with my clutch, so I think I will wait on the leak for now until I hear more reviews on CenterForce.

Robellion

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I picked my JL Sport S in January. Early on during some challenging deep snow riding I would smell the new clutch "breaking in" as I thought...well maybe it was because it felt fine for the following months as the season changed to Spring then Summer. Most of my riding was from NYC to Catskill MTS about once every two weeks, then lots of hill riding. Up and down muddy trails to the top of our property- 4hi action mainly in 1st and 2nd gear- so there was pressure on the clutch, but I don't think anything that a vehicle like this wasn't made for. Now here in July I feel it slipping just ever slightly. Occasionally smell it under good torque and have since been gentle on the shifting.

So I made a appointment for service to take a look and do the flash recall update. My thoughts are that the clutch is in the early stages of failing. Question is, what should I expect service to do? Will they gladly replace the worn parts? or will they fight me on that to make me pay? Looks like I am just days past the 6 month ownership. Any info would be gladly appreciated. Thanks so much
Eric

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Question is, what should I expect service to do? Will they gladly replace the worn parts? or will they fight me on that to make me pay?
100% depends on the dealer, unfortunately. A good one will fix under warranty with no hassle.

Send @JeepCares your VIN, name, and dealership and they can help ensure that you don’t get the runaround.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I think the biggest question here is this (which I don’t think has been posed but I know it’s been thought of...):

Many of us have smelled the smells already likely meaning that the plate has already heated up pretty good at some point causing pre-existing wear before having the recall done. But most dealers are saying that it’s a high wear item and that there is no way of telling the amount of user abuse the components have taken. I sort of get that from a business standpoint but let’s play this out:

So we all (or most of us) like good citizens concerned about our own safety and the safety of others go down to the ole dealership and get this software update/safety recall done right.

We are driving around town or off road and then boom, vehicle goes into “limp mode” now due to the update preventing full on failure and vehicle fire. Good to go right? Mission accomplished, vehicle saved.

We bring it in to the dealership and now what?

Just to be told it’s a high wear item and there’s no telling how much user abuse the components have been through, at least the update prevented it from burning to the ground, now, that’ll be 3k+!

Before I continue I’m of the old saying, “I could break my neck while getting out of bed to go to work in the morning but I still get out of bed and go to work”. In other words you can’t let fear of the unknown control your life.

Now I know we can what if this to death, but, it’s a bit troublesome to think that most of us might be on the hook for a replacement on our own dime considering the treatment of folks who are unfortunately already having issues like this.

^^While that sounds counterintuitive to my last paragraph, it’s a bit different in this situation in terms of longevity. I plan on giving this to my oldest son and I want to know that it will be safe for him to drive without a doubt and won’t cost him an arm and a leg to get fixed, both figuratively and literally. It won’t prevent me from driving it but the whole scenario changes when you put a loved ones life behind that same steering wheel.

I guess only time will tell but I feel like there should be some type of inspection criteria along with this recall and if parts look to already have been w then they should be replaced. My dealership said “Oh, it won’t take long, it’s just a software update”. So I asked if the components can also be inspected and of course they said yes but will they really be inspected? Will the tech in the back actually inspect them? Does it even call for such an inspection? It sounds like it doesn’t to me.

Maybe I’m just full of shit today but it really pisses me off.

*Edit: For spelling error.

Last edited:

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Hi Az-jewel,
No, the repair does not include replacing the clutch. We are happy to inform you that the recall repair is available now and that owner letters will mail 7/1/21.

Rob
Jeep Cares
So Rob, as I read this all dealers should have this flash by now?

Do you know of one in the Dallas Fort Worth area that does? Ive called the service departments (and emailed) at both dealers I have purchased jeeps from and they have zero clue. Maybe you can drop me the name of a service dept?

Neil

nomographer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon ("Anaximander"), 94 YJ sold :(
Build Thread
Link
We are driving around town or off road and then boom, vehicle goes into “limp mode” now due to the update preventing full on failure and vehicle fire. Good to go right? Mission accomplished, vehicle saved.

We bring it in to the dealership and now what?

Just to be told it’s a high wear item and there’s no telling how much user abuse the components have been through, at least the update prevented it from burning to the ground, now, that’ll be 3k+!
Unfortunately dealers lag corporate, so they have little choice but to adhere strictly to warranties or they're going to pay for it themselves. Meanwhile there are quite a few here reporting no issues after 50--100k miles despite minor bouts of heavy use.

As you say, there are quite a few What If scenarios. What If they replaced all 50k stock manual clutches and pressure plates today to the tune of $50--150M? Would they all subsequently live without issue for 300k miles? Or are they just going to have to replace the 5% that still have trouble?

The engineering issue here hasn't been made public, hence may not be known. Was it just improperly bled lines? The weak hose? The shape of the plate? Linkage issue? Center alignment tolerance on the clutch? Engine torque capacity exceeding clutch design? Some of these would require significant parts replacement and it may not be fixed by replacing just the pressure plate. There's no way for them to evaluate today which ones are going to fail. (As far as we know, blah blah.)

Most customers aren't going out of their way to destroy the things, so it sure would be a great move for them to extend that warranty to 50kmi/5yr. I really don't want to say it like this, but reducing the size of the impacted population below 50000 would lower the number of customers signing on to a future class action lawsuit.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately dealers lag corporate, so they have little choice but to adhere strictly to warranties or they're going to pay for it themselves. Meanwhile there are quite a few here reporting no issues after 50--100k miles despite minor bouts of heavy use.

As you say, there are quite a few What If scenarios. What If they replaced all 50k stock manual clutches and pressure plates today to the tune of $50--150M? Would they all subsequently live without issue for 300k miles? Or are they just going to have to replace the 5% that still have trouble?

The engineering issue here hasn't been made public, hence may not be known. Was it just improperly bled lines? The weak hose? The shape of the plate? Linkage issue? Center alignment tolerance on the clutch? Engine torque capacity exceeding clutch design? Some of these would require significant parts replacement and it may not be fixed by replacing just the pressure plate. There's no way for them to evaluate today which ones are going to fail. (As far as we know, blah blah.)

Most customers aren't going out of their way to destroy the things, so it sure would be a great move for them to extend that warranty to 50kmi/5yr. I really don't want to say it like this, but reducing the size of the impacted population below 50000 would lower the number of customers signing on to a future class action lawsuit.
Yeah I totally agree with you. I’ll have to go check but I’m pretty sure I either did a 5yr/50k or 5yr/100k. It’s in for service now @ 49.9k, oil change, 5 tire rotation, break job and clutch safety recall. They put me into a new Gladiator for a loaner. I will say this, I’ve always liked my dealership and service manager. Never had an issue with them. Never met any of the techs though. I’ll report back if I notice anything that hasn’t been mentioned yet.

Ken Ztopolovky

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr stingray stick
Yeah I totally agree with you. I’ll have to go check but I’m pretty sure I either did a 5yr/50k or 5yr/100k. It’s in for service now @ 49.9k, oil change, 5 tire rotation, break job and clutch safety recall. They put me into a new Gladiator for a loaner. I will say this, I’ve always liked my dealership and service manager. Never had an issue with them. Never met any of the techs though. I’ll report back if I notice anything that hasn’t been mentioned yet.
Engine torque capacity exceeding clutch design? ... Bravo , that it is exactly

Ken Ztopolovky

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr stingray stick
I picked my JL Sport S in January. Early on during some challenging deep snow riding I would smell the new clutch "breaking in" as I thought...well maybe it was because it felt fine for the following months as the season changed to Spring then Summer. Most of my riding was from NYC to Catskill MTS about once every two weeks, then lots of hill riding. Up and down muddy trails to the top of our property- 4hi action mainly in 1st and 2nd gear- so there was pressure on the clutch, but I don't think anything that a vehicle like this wasn't made for. Now here in July I feel it slipping just ever slightly. Occasionally smell it under good torque and have since been gentle on the shifting.

So I made a appointment for service to take a look and do the flash recall update. My thoughts are that the clutch is in the early stages of failing. Question is, what should I expect service to do? Will they gladly replace the worn parts? or will they fight me on that to make me pay? Looks like I am just days past the 6 month ownership. Any info would be gladly appreciated. Thanks so much
Eric
I went through it as well , I went twice to consult with the technicians but my efforts failed , for now I am doing my very best not to overwork the clutch , downshifting very gently as well , maybe trying another dealership may be of some advantage but I honestly doubt it , good luck

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I went through it as well , I went twice to consult with the technicians but my efforts failed , for now I am doing my very best not to overwork the clutch , downshifting very gently as well , maybe trying another dealership may be of some advantage but I honestly doubt it , good luck
There is no dealership I know of in existence that will replace the more than likely already worn parts, including my own (which is a very reasonable dealership). They won’t do it. As another member mentioned, there is no engineering response to the actual cause so this is a TEMP fix to prevent vehicle fires in my opinion. Until their engineers figure out what’s specifically going on, this is all we have. Which, isn’t a bad thing because it will put your vehicle in a sort of limp mode to prevent catastrophic failure (vehicle fire). It pisses me off obviously but other than going out on your own and replacing all the parts with aftermarket (which you shouldn’t have to do) this is the best we have going for us until they figure out what is happening and exactly what parts are involved and I’m willing to bet it’s more than just the plate.