Sponsored

How bad is it to torque your lug nuts past 160ft-lbs?

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Last week,

I usually put my lugs on with my impact gun to about 100lbs, then torque wrench to 130. But this time i waaay over shot it because when i came along with my torque wrench and my lugs clicked at 130... then 140.... then 160. I just panicked and toook them back off again so I really hope these werent torqued over 200lbs or something stupid. What would be damaged from this?
Sponsored

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Anything stripped? Likely no issues, there's always the potential that the hardware is stressed but I would bet you won't have any issues down the road.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
Yeah...those are too high. Over torquing wheels can deform the wheel hub and warp rotors at the rotor hat.

Most aluminum wheel torque specs come in around 135 lb/ft including stock Jeep wheels.

OP
OP
LiveToWork

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Anything stripped? Likely no issues, there's always the potential that the hardware is stressed but I would bet you won't have any issues down the road.
Nothings stripped. My other set of wheels went on just fine. Was worried about long term/highway driving.

Sponsored

Sidspider

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLU Willys
I would guess most tire shops running impact guns go way past 160, I think you’ll be fine. If you’re worried check them every few hundred miles for a couple months and make sure they’re staying tight.

EJWF11

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Everything mechanical has a tolerance/margin… it’s designed that way for all the pieces to go together and work seamlessly. This is why/how you get tuners/aftermarket parts to work… they play with design margin.

as the man said, depending on how far you went, you may have stretched either the nut or the lug/stud. Usually, if the engineers are worth a sh!t, they want the sacrifice the nut before the stud.

one way to check is test…. Or move those nuts to see if they run on another wheels studs as easily.

you should be fine if you didnt break them (stud)or it wasnt almost impossible to take them (nuts) off.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I never let a shop put wheels on my vehicles, I'll have them mount the tires to the wheels but I'll haul them home and mount them, had too many mishaps over the years. Too many places are in a hurry and have a lot of employees that don't give 2 shits.
Sponsored