Sponsored

Straight Pipes Branco Review - RIP JEEP!

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry if this was already posted. What are your thoughts?

Decided to throw this one into the mix as well.

Ford has infiltrated this forum.

Cool isn’t a factor for serious off-road.

Nice try, Ford.
Sponsored

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I welcome it, there will be thousands more that pick one over the other.

VAJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Competition is a good thing but I feel the bronco will have as much impact on the Wrangler as Toyota’s FJ did, Zilch!
The wrangler has become the “Lego Block” of vehicles, the aftermarket world caters to it and even folks that don’t own a wrangler knows it!

IMO, nobody will buy a bronco with off-road driving in mind.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Competition is a good thing but I feel the bronco will have as much impact on the Wrangler as Toyota’s FJ did, Zilch!
The wrangler has become the “Lego Block” of vehicles, the aftermarket world caters to it and even folks that don’t own a wrangler knows it!

IMO, nobody will buy a bronco with off-road driving in mind.
I think that is accurate. Bronco will grow a following, absolutely, but its similarity in form to a Ford truck I think burns it -- as a former multiple F-series owner. Can't wait to drive one but I'll bet it feels a lot like a F150 with a similar steering radius. There are people who will 100% love the 'big' feel, but don't see it taking too many Wrangler buyers away, especially given the price point.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I have the 7" screen and I reckon it is fantastic!
What would you do to improve it?
Wireless charging pad and wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Sponsored

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Maybe I'm the only one here that drove nothing but Fords before my Jeep yet cant for the life of me like the Branco. I really want to, but it just doesn't seem to have a soul if you know what I mean. I'm not impressed they improved on Jeeps weaknesses, it would be strange if they didn't. The JL was already out. 10 minutes on this forum and the Branco engineers would know what people didn't like. Call me crazy but I'm not worried the Branco will take much business from Jeep. Guys who bleed Ford blue will just be new additions to the trail is all. Now if Toyota decided to do another FJ that had a removeable top and doors then I think there would be more to worry about at Stellantis.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Wireless charging pad and wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
I added both for about $140 so that doesn't bother me. Now what I really wish they did was make it louder. I have replaced all my speakers with larger premium ones, and added a sub and it still is on 38 the entire time I drive. past 19 there's barely a damn change to my ears. Doesn't help CarPlay is by far the quietest of all the media options in my Gladiator.

Baconator

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
You know, you can push them in and not use them. They’ll never bother you again. You don’t even have to risk jail time for aggravated assault :like:
This would work fine, except then it swings all the way until it hits the fender, so parking on a hill without it can be a bitch.... A bump stop at 90 degrees would have been helpful.

Baconator

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
I added both for about $140 so that doesn't bother me. Now what I really wish they did was make it louder. I have replaced all my speakers with larger premium ones, and added a sub and it still is on 38 the entire time I drive. past 19 there's barely a damn change to my ears. Doesn't help CarPlay is by far the quietest of all the media options in my Gladiator.
I'm no audiophile, but the Alpine system is load as hell. You didn't list an amp, but you may have just not mentioned. Speakers are fine and good, but they need more wattage perhaps?

I would be deaf inside a month if i kept it on 38.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I'm sorry but that interior looks like it's straight out of a UTV. What a joke.

The doors are thick and look heavy, the way the soft top rear opens is ridiculous, the IFS will cost a fortune to lift properly, the fenders are designed to be stolen in seconds, the only respectable engine option you have is an EcoBust, it's nearly the size of a full size truck, and to top it all off it's a brand new clean sheet design that'll be riddled with problems and bugs for years.

The only people who will buy one of these are the people who have to be first to have that "new thing". Anybody who actually does their homework would go Jeep.

For the record I was a die-hard Ford guy my entire life until the new upper management completely screwed the brand from 2011-on.

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
it's nearly the size of a full size truck, and to top it all off it's a brand new clean sheet design that'll be riddled with problems and bugs for years.
Not that Jeeps are stellar examples of build quality but I agree with you. Ford's got a dismal record for new vehicle launches, and as almost everything on this Bronco is new it's guaranteed to have a ton of issues/recalls the first few years.

If I was going to get one, I'd wait for the third year probably for the worst of the kinks to get worked out.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
This would work fine, except then it swings all the way until it hits the fender, so parking on a hill without it can be a bitch.... A bump stop at 90 degrees would have been helpful.
I’m confused- why would the door swing that far? Our doors have the strap that should stop it from swinging all the way open even if you aren’t using the metal door check.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
Ford had decades to leapfrog a vehicle that had no competition and the best they could do is a slightly improved road manners Wrangler. Quite a disappointment. Once Jeep decides it now has competition, I shudder to think how good the next gen Wrangler will be.

Hang on to your hats, this is gonna be good decade.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Does that have anything to do with the fact you can hose it out (at least some trim levels)?
I doubt it. The upper level Outer Banks had some texture on the dash while the lower level Big Bend was awful. The switches are rubberized but the throws felt cheap and unsubstantial. Neither example had washout flooring so I can't comment to it's quality.

Other than the high tech bits my first impression was 1980's Yugo.

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I'm no audiophile, but the Alpine system is load as hell. You didn't list an amp, but you may have just not mentioned. Speakers are fine and good, but they need more wattage perhaps?

I would be deaf inside a month if i kept it on 38.
I have an amp but its only powering the Sub. I'm sure my combat ears don't help the situation but I haven't had that issue on other vehicles. I'll probably learn to live with it, I still love the Jeep and its tolerable after adding the sub. Before it was just sad.
Sponsored