Sponsored

So...should I get a JK (JL simply not being delivered in Canada)?

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Just reached my dealer. Still nothing new about my JL order (placed it in April). This is becoming a joke.

So i'm looking at options. Should I simply get a used JK? Some folks say they are pigs to drive.

Should I simply get something else? 4Runners are kind of appealing.

Should I simply wait?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I owned a string of JKs. Loved each one of them —with the exception of one. But after owning a JL, I wouldn’t go back.

Toyota 4Runner is long in the tooth. That engine and transmission have been around since the mid-2000s. Toyota is rumored to be working on a replacement due out in the next 18 months or so. It will be thoroughly up-to-date, and even be offered as a hybrid.

I’d keep waiting.

This may help you keep things in perspective: if you were to order a Bronco, you’d be waiting much longer.

PS - you could pick up a used FJ Cruiser to drive around for a few months while you wait for your JL. The value of FJ Cruisers has been going up for a few years now. You’d likely lose only the tax and license on it.

warrior49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Willys 3.6 Sarge Green
Occupation
Guitar Slinger
Any chance to go over the border in the US and buy one? Not sure what the rules are on that kind of thing, but I can imagine you are very frustrated. I would take a "vacation" to Buffalo, NY and come back with a JL :LOL:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Unless you can show justifiable cause, like being stationed abroad, or working abroad for the Federal government, FCA will void the warranty on a vehicle purchased across the border, in either direction.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Any chance to go over the border in the US and buy one? Not sure what the rules are on that kind of thing, but I can imagine you are very frustrated. I would take a "vacation" to Buffalo, NY and come back with a JL :LOL:
Importing cars in Quebec is such a headache. SAAQ (Société de l'Assurance Automobile du Québec) ain't fun to deal with. It'd be yearly check ups to see if the car respects regulations (yes, even if it's the same car). Check ups you have to pay, of course.

To get the green light to use the car from SAAQ, it'd be longer than getting my JL anyway. Car would probably get stuck at the border for weeks.

Plus, forget aout the warranty. Jeep Canada would never, ever, ever honor anything from the US.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Just reached my dealer. Still nothing new about my JL order (placed it in April). This is becoming a joke.

So I'm looking at options. Should I simply get a used JK? Some folks say they are pigs to drive.

Should I simply wait?
Last autumn, I test drove a couple of JKs, just for the sake of doing so, prior to test driving a couple of JLs before placing my order for a new Jeep.

Driving the JLs spoiled me for anything I might have liked about the JKs. For example, the transmissions on the prior generation Wrangler couldn't compete, at all.

The foregoing is just my opinion, but it allowed me to make an informed purchase decision that ultimately compelled me to write a larger check. My money followed my research, as well it should have.

Yes, waiting stinks. The only other thing I can add here is that it's a lousy time to purchase a used vehicle. Their values are, on average, and based on my own anecdotal observations, inflated to almost comical levels.

Best of luck here.

warrior49

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Willys 3.6 Sarge Green
Occupation
Guitar Slinger
Canada seems a little "regulation heavy" for me. I have a friend in Quebec, always complaining about mismanaged health care, late on the vaccines, still shut down, ect. But I didn't know that type of thing extended to vehicle purchases. Regarding the warranty, that makes zero sense. It's the same FCA vehicle, just parked in a different country. Senseless regulations.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW, Quebec feels quite a bit more regulated than most other provinces.

Within Canada, Quebec and Ontario have been the weak links dealing with this pandemic. Unfortunately, the two provinces combined still represent 60% of Canada's entire population.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Canada seems a little "regulation heavy" for me.
I agree, but I also do try to keep an open mind about how the Great White North manages it's affairs.

For example, I do respect the recycling initiatives & infrastructure that I observed when on a moto-tour through Atlantic Canada some years back. From my perspective, it was broadly well-managed and effective...and, yes, 100% compulsory.

I know that Quebec and British Columbia require three peak mountain snowflake tires -- i.e., real winter tires -- on all road-going vehicles from October to April. I can see the business case here, even if it has the color of "regulation" about it.

My only quibble concerned the border crossing. The US agents were friendly while remaining professional. The Canadian agents acted like they had sticks up their [posteriors]. This was just one border crossing: Calais, ME/St. Stephen, N.B. Maybe it's better in other places.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
FCA is the one voiding the warranty on cross-border purchases, not the gubbermint.

NAFTA allowed the free flow of goods across the border. But fluctuations in currency resulted in dealers on one side of the border losing sales to the other side.

In order to protect dealers and discourage cross-border purchases without breaking the law, several automakers, including FCA, started erecting their own barriers to trade, such as voiding warranty coverage.

In normal times I cross the border once a week. My experience with border officials is the exact opposite on this side of the continent. US CBP are a bunch of humorless thugs; Immigration Canada officials seem to exercise more discretion, and come across as better educated and more professional.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Canada seems a little "regulation heavy" for me. I have a friend in Quebec, always complaining about mismanaged health care, late on the vaccines, still shut down, ect. But I didn't know that type of thing extended to vehicle purchases. Regarding the warranty, that makes zero sense. It's the same FCA vehicle, just parked in a different country. Senseless regulations.
Apart from US, Canada's leading the way on vaccines. The shutdowns are over since about a month in Quebec, since we prefer being prudent. As for mismanaged health care, I don't know one developed country that doesn't have some sort of problem.

Regulations saves our asses more often than none. Especially with the crap food US tries to ship in Canada. Please keep your strange "milk", thank you. :)

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
FWIW, Quebec feels quite a bit more regulated than most other provinces.

Within Canada, Quebec and Ontario have been the weak links dealing with this pandemic. Unfortunately, the two provinces combined still represent 60% of Canada's entire population.
I don't know where you get your infos but Quebec actually did pretty well on the pandemic, as much as i'd like to shove it at this government that I don't like particularly. Most vaccinated province, number of cases dropped dramatically over the past few months, number of deaths is now way down on a daily basis. 75 % of the population should have two doses of vaccines in a month or so, which is a very quick turnout.

Ontario, however, seems to have a tad more trouble dealing with it. A lot of folks point fingers at their PM but Ontarians on this forum should be able to say it better than I do. But yeah, Quebec is actually doing pretty well.