Sponsored

If you were going to buy a sporty car for your wife?

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I think a sports car or sporty car is too vague to answer well.
- I'd start by finding out if she wants something fast, stupid fast or just quick
- How much flash does she want it to be? Things like corvettes are flashy and stick out, but things like RS4s and CTS-Vs blend it and are just as quick.
- Then practicality is important. Is it a play car or an every day car; and along this line is convertible or not (softtop limits a lot of options).

I have a golf R that I daily, it is practical, fits 3 young kids in the back seat and still can go to costco. It has small amount of modifications and is running around 400hp at 3200lb with a very flat torque curve. I've had a corvette follow me to costco because he had to find out what that little compact minivan looking thing was. While it pretty fast, it looks pedestrian and therefore I'm never on police's radar like corvettes, WRXs, etc which are more flashy. Its like the Cadilliac CTS-V and Vette, both are fast (same engine), but one looks fast and sticks out the other blends in and is a sleeper to those who don't know.

One of my favorite cars that sticks out, is reasonably priced and a kick in the pants to drive is the Camaro ZL1-1LE. If it wasn't for the big wing it would be more of a sleeper. They are also well within your price range.
For a car that blends in well, the RS3 audi's w/ about $1500 into them for some basic tuning and improvements will blow your mind on how fast they are, but also comfy for non-spirited drives. Stock they are kind of slow.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Some back ground. She has zero chill. I like.....love the CTS-V caddy. She is not a fast sedan kind of girl. I would even like a Subura WRX. For instance, her motorcycle was a Z-10 Ninja and a !250 Bandit. She has been 160+ mph on a motorcycle many times. So 160+ in a car will be mild for her.

She also wants a Hemi in the Jeep or a add on supercharger, she wants a full on rock crawler, (I would buy her that right now, but we live in Michigan and we have no rocks to crawl on), or an Ultra 4 buggy. Those things may happen if we move to Utah in retirement.

I am sure that when I buy her a fast car, she will probably do some track days with it. I push her to the convertible as that is what I like. When I look at a vette, I know that if I don't buy something like a ZO7 and buy a milder version, that I will be enlisting the help of my bud Bill who builds 7 second drag cars to wrench on it and make it faster. So I might as well just bite the bullet and buy it fast out of the gate.

Dale's Jeep

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL 4door Rubicon
Occupation
Retired U.S. Army 23 years
Again I say hellcat redeye. Stay in the Mopar family. No upgrading needed.

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Some back ground. She has zero chill. I like.....love the CTS-V caddy. She is not a fast sedan kind of girl. I would even like a Subura WRX. For instance, her motorcycle was a Z-10 Ninja and a !250 Bandit. She has been 160+ mph on a motorcycle many times. So 160+ in a car will be mild for her.

She also wants a Hemi in the Jeep or a add on supercharger, she wants a full on rock crawler, (I would buy her that right now, but we live in Michigan and we have no rocks to crawl on), or an Ultra 4 buggy. Those things may happen if we move to Utah in retirement.

I am sure that when I buy her a fast car, she will probably do some track days with it. I push her to the convertible as that is what I like. When I look at a vette, I know that if I don't buy something like a ZO7 and buy a milder version, that I will be enlisting the help of my bud Bill who builds 7 second drag cars to wrench on it and make it faster. So I might as well just bite the bullet and buy it fast out of the gate.
Base vettes are slow. Z06 are pretty decent for speed. You can get a C7 z06 pretty reasonably. If she is going to do track days, the camaro ZL1 1LE is a hard car to beat for the money. Its around the speed of the Z06, but more set up for track. Probably about the same speed around the track due to the z06 being lighter. If you can find a track package z06 (aka z07) for your price range then that is an amazing car. Vettes are fun cars, but they are built quite cheaply so they don't feel as nice of interiors as other similar cars, but those similar cars cost a lot more. If speed from a light is what she wants big engines are hard to beat, but if corners are her thing (track) then lotus is a car to throw in the mix. The new Emira seems to be an excellent car, but too new to know. I don't know anyone with one yet, but I do know 2 people with them on order. Unfortunately I don't know them well enough for them to let me drive it. Otherwise if you go a little older, McClaren 720, porsche cayman, etc are all fun little cars.

Last edited:

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

Everything you are describing points right to the C7 Z07 vette which already has the track package on it and is putting out 650 HP and 600 ft/lb of torque. My friend is an instructor at VIR in Virginia and runs that car. It is freaking fast right off the show room floor. You also get the targa top so it's practically a convertible. The vettes offer so much even at the base model for a fun car that is ready to hit the track or date night.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Everything you are describing points right to the C7 Z07 vette which already has the track package on it and is putting out 650 HP and 600 ft/lb of torque. My friend is an instructor at VIR in Virginia and runs that car. It is freaking fast right off the show room floor. You also get the targa top so it's practically a convertible. The vettes offer so much even at the base model for a fun car that is ready to hit the track or date night.
I did not know you could get a low mileage z07 for under $80k. found what looks like a nice one
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...or-sale/chevrolet/corvette?&clickType=listing

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
You also claim the vettes are built quite cheaply and I can tell you after owning one that is not the case.
Fit and finish of them does not feel as good as other cars that it competes with. But this is a general case for most american cars. Would it stop me from buying one, NO. They're actually one of my favorite cars, but there are a lot of people who do care about fit/finish and I do not know what the OP's wife would care about, so it is something that shouldn't be ignored. I personally love how much performance you get from a corvette. But again the vette's competition is all more expensive than it. Porsche, mcclaren, etc are all significantly more expensive and that is understandable that they should also feel higher quality.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Fit and finish of them does not feel as good as other cars that it competes with. But this is a general case for most american cars. Would it stop me from buying one, NO. They're actually one of my favorite cars, but there are a lot of people who do care about fit/finish and I do not know what the OP's wife would care about, so it is something that shouldn't be ignored. I personally love how much performance you get from a corvette. But again the vette's competition is all more expensive than it. Porsche, mcclaren, etc are all significantly more expensive and that is understandable that they should also feel higher quality.
I can tell you from first hand experience that the fit and finish of the C7 is tight.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

I think a new C8 is a perfect car but hard to find still unless you can wait? It would be my first choice if a new car is a priority. Coupe or Vert.

A Hemi Jeep would be easy for new.

Maybe a new Supra 3.0 if you are good with a WRX? The Supra gets a LOT of attention for some reason? Or the Supra's half sibling, the Z4 Vert. Or M2? I was very surprised by how much I liked driving the 3.0 Supra. I am just so-so on the looks but the driving dynamics trump the style for me. I would buy one for the fun of it and live with the looks. Or go for the BMW Z4 if you want a vert. Definitely go test drive a 3.0 Supra just for kicks even if you don't like the looks. It's a LOT of fun.

Other cars I highly recommend are maybe a pre-owned 911, Cayman S or Boxster S. Or a F-Type, Shelby?

Suggestions from outside the box since it's a gift. Something truely unique. Something from Factory Five Racing. Another option, a very cool resto-modded classic done to a very high standard. Or a actual restored classic like a 60's muscle car. Check out Mecum Auctions and other like it. Lots of very cool cars done to very high standards going through collectible auctions in your price range. You can probably buy something very nice and fun and not do too bad a few years later down the road if she wants to try something else. Whatever you buy will definitely be very unique. You won't see many of them on the street.

Or a electric restomod. There are some really cool ones. I saw some very high quality 911 electric conversions in CA.

In any case, lucky wife and I bet lucky husband. Have fun trying out gear to buy! Life is good!

https://www.factoryfive.com/roadster/
https://www.mecum.com/
https://restomods.com/for-sale/
https://www.streetsideclassics.com/vehicles?q[hobby_segment_eq]=Resto-Mod
https://electricporsche911.com/
https://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=224

Jeep Wrangler JL If you were going to buy a sporty car for your wife? Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 9.19.57 AM

Supra.

I would test drive the Supra even if you don't think it is a contender. You might be surprised by how much fun it is for the money. I LOVE Vettes and I think it's more fun to drive than a C7. The only reason I would buy a C7 over the Supra is if I wanted a manual and removable roof. Supra is auto only but the trans is lightning fast. Roof line is low also so taller people getting in and out might need to get used to that. There is always the Supra's half-sibling. The BMW Z4 convertible also. Built side by side with the Supra.
Jeep Wrangler JL If you were going to buy a sporty car for your wife? Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 9.33.04 AM

BMW Z4

Last edited:

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There are not many NEW autos on lots here in DFW. Not sure about Michigan. Might wait till all this chip shortage is over and might find better price later. Just a thought.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL If you were going to buy a sporty car for your wife? Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 12.59.23 PM
Factory Five Racing '33 Hot Rod.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL If you were going to buy a sporty car for your wife? Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 1.06.30 PM

Factory Five Mk4
Sponsored