Sponsored

4xe review by a "Jeep Guy"

eLECTRICON

I'm a "Jeep Guy". I didn't buy the 4xe because it was a hybrid. I bought it for the 475ftlbs of torque and 375hp. Which is the same torque and 100hp less than the 392. The talk of the extra weight from the battery didn't scare me at all. I was actually thinking it would perform better off road with the added weight to the back. Counter weight to the engine, keeps your ass on the ground. You cant listen to all these EV'ers on the forums and social media, they have no experience with the 4xe. I immediately went 4-wheeling strait from the dealer. I broke the passenger mirror and dented the tailgate on day 1 of ownership. After that I knew what I wanted for modifications. I ripped it apart on day 2. Cut crap off to make stuff fit and wa-la. 3.5" Teraflex lift and 35" tires with Falcon aDapt shocks. I beat the crap out of it in Moab, UT on the Jeep Badge of honor trails and 8,750mi later still performs like new. I defiantly had to retorque suspension and steering bolts but your supposed to do that on every vehicle after the break-in period. The fact the it had electric power was a bonus for me. I did Hells Revenge in All Electric in 4L and it performed better than any of my other Jeeps. It just flawlessly dominated a 8-10 level trail. No gas or brake......it crawled on its own and regen brake going down. In silence I "mapped the earth" hearing noting but rocks crunching, birds chirping, rivers running and the occasional side-by-side buzzing up behind me. The problem is people are looking for EV comparability. That's not what Jeep was doing here, strictly upgrading an already off road capable machine. It was made for Jeep enthusiasts not for EV'ers. This is our family car and everyday driver. Im a single dad of three 6,7,and 8yrs of age. I'm no soccer mom!!!

Jeep Wrangler JL 4xe review by a "Jeep Guy" 20210610_102053
Sponsored

15 Pieces of Rick Flair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla 3
I want a 4xe for the reasons you stated and because I can do my daily drive on battery only. After owning a Tesla the idea of silent wheeling has me stoked. If I can't order a 4xe I will order an ICE Wrangler to play with till the full EV Wrangler drops.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Not the rant I was expecting, but one I can appreciate!

There's a lot of misinformation that gets pushed around, especially by people who don't have a 4xe. Both of my previous Jeeps were CJ-7's (a '79 and an '86). My last vehicle was a 2019 Mustang GT (and a 2015 before that). I almost bought another CJ-7 before COVID hit but we're renovating the house (35k in so far and another 30ish to go) and I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on it while I had so many things going on.

Always thought I'd find one as a second vehicle and maybe look to replace the Mustang with an interesting EV or PHEV. Then the 4xe came along and ticked ALL THE BOXES. The extra power from the hybrid system was the big bonus, plus the tax break, not to mention the crazy used car market valuation on my Mustang.

I've pointed out more than a few times on multiple threads here, if you're focused on the "limited" electric only range for daily driving and not the 475ftlbs of torque and 375hp that the hybrid system is giving you, then I think you're not the right target person. This isn't a hybrid vehicle first and foremost that happens to also be off road capable, this is a Jeep that also happens to be a hybrid and make damn good use of that hybrid system in a non-traditional way for hybrid vehicles.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I wouldn't call that a rant, so much as a rave review. You should work in PR for Jeep!!

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
It was a very bold move by Jeep. First of its kind. It is not a Tesla, but it is a Jeep. I feel it doesn't get the attention it deserves on this forums. So many people talking about Bronco for its "modern features" while the 4xe is a LOT more disruptive technology. The Bronco is a Jeep's copy.

Litfury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2022 Rubicon XR Hydro Blue
I am a father also (although not a single father). I applaud you for doing great things with your kids, and making sure you pick activities they can be a part of. My 4 and 6 year old loved to off road in our Gladiator. We will begin doing the same again as soon as my 4xE order arrives. Keep having a blast!

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Almost 1500 miles in and 1 trail down. A small bit of rock rash on 1 tire and a thrown CEL light that reset itself before I took it in. So far so good… I love it! This is the most fun I’ve had with a vehicle since buying my first sport bike (a very different fun). My kids cheese everytime they jump in with the [front] doors off and even my wife wants to drive it around instead of her own car! To sum it up, all around great family fun

Sponsored

shklog

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon 4XE
I totally agree. A ton of people missed the mark on why jeep put this out. I commute about 9 miles one way to work every day and having the ability to do that on just electric every day....and having a jeep is nothing but incredible. When I do drive on the interstate it will overtake slow drivers like a walk in the park. Absolutely silent offroad (and onroad) is an amazing thing to have when you have the top off. The fact that the price difference between the standard rubicon and the 4xe is pretty much the same after the 7500 tax credit is what really made me get it. Mine was 55,500.00 MSRP and the same equipped standard rubicon (as of the builder on the jeep site today) is showing 49,400.00. So with the tax credit, its almost cheaper in the long run to get a 4XE and you get the hybrid system just as an added bonus.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 4xe, 21 Supra 3.0, 21 Pacifica Hybrid
Awesome post OP, I love Moab and a trip 3 years ago and a rented Rubicon and here I am now on my second JL and my first Rubicon (and PHEV to boot). We 100% love our 4xe. My wife drives it way more than me and with our driving style (lots of short commutes) and a Level 2 charger and we can go 1000-1200 miles before needing to fill up.

Such a capable machine. I was intrigued by the new Bronco, but once the 4XE was announced I was sold. Not going back to an ICE Jeep every again unless it's a plug in hybrid.

OP
OP

eLECTRICON

Over 12,000mi now. The only issue I had was the loose ball joints but its a quick fix with tightening them up. The 4xe continues to impress me with its off road capability. I love having the sky top. Paired with the Tazer I have it customized just the way I like it.
Sponsored