Dealership waited 2 1/2 week to place my order

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
I agree with some of the sound advice you are getting.

what’s done is done. There’s no reason to scream or dwell about it, however, you can try and turn it into a positive. Maybe they’ll hook you up with a lower price, extras, free service, new wheels, a lift. You’d be surprised what you can get if you’re not angry about it but just reasonably disappointed.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 2 door Sport
@Stac0608

You have every right to be miffed... rightfully so... Good you came here to vent, etc..

Don't let guys here fire you up anymore then you are...

Next time you talk to your salesperson tell him you were disappointed the way they handled your order... and you feel they let you down a bit.. DON'T go off on him... DON'T run your mouth and show hostility.... again it's done...

Part of this was your doing or not doing... so do own some of this and learn from it... Remember what I said in my last post. I'm 72 and still learning.... oh, and I grew up in NY. 8-)
Once a New Yorker, always a New Yorker. Thank you. This place does a lot of business and most people order their Jeep Wranglers. They had few in stock. Back in the day my AMC Jeep dealership had 10-12 CJ7s in stock. From the base to the Laredo. If you wanted a CJ8 Scrambler you had to order it. The salesman were professionals who knew every nut and bolt in the vehicle. I remember the sales guy said to me stay away from the base model. The AMC model 20 rear axle was weak. $1200 more got me a Renegade with a rear Dana 44. I drove it off the lot and never looked back. I’ll give the kid a break. He’s like 23 years old and got a lot to learn.

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with some of the sound advice you are getting.

what’s done is done. There’s no reason to scream or dwell about it, however, you can try and turn it into a positive. Maybe they’ll hook you up with a lower price, extras, free service, new wheels, a lift. You’d be surprised what you can get if you’re not angry about it but just reasonably disappointed.
Hmm, wheels. Yeah but the wheels I want are the reproduction CJ7 wagon wheels my CJ7 had. I’ll think of something.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I doubt the dealer will refund your $ at this point,...
I wrote a $500.00 deposit check on the day I ordered my Jeep. Immediately after handing it over, the Sales Manager, as the person authorized to enter the order in the system, did so as I sat at the desk and watched. My VON and VIN were provided just a couple of days later.

When I asked, the Sales Mgr. told me that he would return my deposit if or when I asked for it. By law, he said, he wasn't allowed to keep the deposit funds, but for when they were applied to the price of the vehicle, and only when I decided to proceed with the purchase.

One of the new Wranglers that I test drove was a special order (like mine) that was refused by the customer after it arrived at the dealer. His deposit was returned, exactly as I explain above.

The preceding "By law..." comment, related to customer deposits, may or may not vary according to State law. I can speak only about Pennsylvania.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
The salesman were professionals who knew every nut and bolt in the vehicle. I remember the sales guy said to me stay away from the base model. The AMC model 20 rear axle was weak. $1200 more got me a Renegade with a rear Dana 44. I drove it off the lot and never looked back. I’ll give the kid a break. He’s like 23 years old and got a lot to learn.
LOL! My salesman didn't even know how to drive a standard. He said something like "Are you sure this is the one you want?". This thing was stuck between a rock and a hard place, flooded ditch on one side and Rubicons all around it. Then he asks me "Have you ever driven one of these before? I don't know how to drive stick shift". I turned it around, squeezed it out of a flooded lawn with a few inches on each side to spare and over a parking block to get it into the parking lot for the test drive.

My only concern is that when I was signing paperwork, my salesman took it out to get a tank of gas. When he got back he said that he did the clutch while another salesman ran the gears. :facepalm:

Sponsored

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
My dealer put the order in and gave me the VON and emailed my order to me while I was on the phone with him Wed. Today, Fri, I got the VIN with a 7-9 week build time.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Agree with what's been said. Shitty situation, but the milk has been spilled. Best not to focus on that, but to focus on how it gets cleaned up, so to speak.

Be polite, but curt with your salesman. His fault, sure, but he's also not the one who can fix it. Get your documentation together, talk to the GM.

Realistically, are you out anything other than a few weeks of enjoyment of your Jeep? If so, document it, and present it to him and offer him the chance to make it right. Could be a discount on the Jeep, extended warranty, etc. All have value.

Going all "Karen" on them will do no good. Take a minute, breathe, gather your documents, and go in with a clear story, hitting these three points VERY clearly:

1. What you were told vs what actually happened
2. Why/How this negatively impacted you. Did you have to pay for a rental, did the value of your trade go down, etc.
3. What, exactly, you would like them to do to make it good. The key here is to be *REALISTIC*. If you go in there demanding your Jeep for free, you'll get nowhere. Whatever you ask for in #3 should be roughly equivalent to #2.

Pretend you own the dealership. As the business owner, what would/could you realistically do to resolve the situation?

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agree with what's been said. Shitty situation, but the milk has been spilled. Best not to focus on that, but to focus on how it gets cleaned up, so to speak.

Be polite, but curt with your salesman. His fault, sure, but he's also not the one who can fix it. Get your documentation together, talk to the GM.

Realistically, are you out anything other than a few weeks of enjoyment of your Jeep? If so, document it, and present it to him and offer him the chance to make it right. Could be a discount on the Jeep, extended warranty, etc. All have value.

Going all "Karen" on them will do no good. Take a minute, breathe, gather your documents, and go in with a clear story, hitting these three points VERY clearly:

1. What you were told vs what actually happened
2. Why/How this negatively impacted you. Did you have to pay for a rental, did the value of your trade go down, etc.
3. What, exactly, you would like them to do to make it good. The key here is to be *REALISTIC*. If you go in there demanding your Jeep for free, you'll get nowhere. Whatever you ask for in #3 should be roughly equivalent to #2.

Pretend you own the dealership. As the business owner, what would/could you realistically do to resolve the situation?
I’m not asking for anything free. The sales guy responded back to me. He told me they delayed putting the order through because of the off door mirrors were out of stock , then canceled the mirror option all together. I said this was supposed to have been done on May 28. Something I knew about. Why wait two more weeks? Anyway I cut the kid a break. I told him if there’s a change just tell me. None of these kids understand communication. He probably thinks I’m a crazy old man, just like my sons.

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
Except he told me he ordered the Jeep the day I gave him the deposit. That was 38 days ago. I got a big nothing.
So he lied, I get it, I would probably be pissed too, but you need to decide where you want to go from here. Most likely you are never going to happy with this dealer, so you need to take the appropriate action and get your deposit back. and go elsewhere. Like I said in my above post they the dealer knows what they can do regarding ordering and what they can't do, too bad they didn't let you know.

trainman

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So he lied, I get it, I would probably be pissed too, but you need to decide where you want to go from here. Most likely you are never going to happy with this dealer, so you need to take the appropriate action and get your deposit back. and go elsewhere. Like I said in my above post they the dealer knows what they can do regarding ordering and what they can't do, too bad they didn't let you know.

trainman
I decided to stick with the order. I’ve waited this long. You never get you pay for. How these places stay in business is a mystery. Many thanks for your concern.

Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
I decided to stick with the order. I’ve waited this long. You never get you pay for. How these places stay in business is a mystery. Many thanks for your concern.
Which dealer was this in NY?

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which dealer was this in NY?
Rockland Jeep Chrysler, Rt 304 Nanuet NY A nearby dealership has an automatic for 33,500. I’d love to cancel and buy that one. I contacted Jeep. They’re still collecting parts. I’ve been told Stripper JL Sports are low priority on the build list.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Rockland Jeep Chrysler, Rt 304 Nanuet NY A nearby dealership has an automatic for 33,500. I’d love to cancel and buy that one. I contacted Jeep. They’re still collecting parts. I’ve been told Stripper JL Sports are low priority on the build list.
A lot isn’t adding up here. Are you able to get your money back 100%? I’d Goto another dealer or (Gasp) a Ford Bronco if I was BS’d like that.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I read somewhere that ‘some” dealers have a monthly allotment on factory orders.
Maybe they were over it and had to wait?
Yeah, but he should've been told that when he said he wanted to order, or when they found out they had to "wait", they should've called him and said it will be another 2 weeks, does he still want to proceed with the order. And $3200 deposit is ridiculous anyways...

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I’m super angry. I gave my dealership $3200. Ordered the JL 2 door sport on May 24. Found out today the dealership waited till June 11th to order the Jeep. Contacted Jeep through the chat. No ETA or when it will go through production. I’m ready to cancel for a low mileage two year old JL. The salesman told me he put through the order that day. Total Bull.
Honestly you may not have lost much time? The factory shuts down for a week around now anyway?

Try leveraging the mistake with the owner of the dealership for some added value or something? Mention this forum. See if that wakes them up?

Also for future reference $3200 is a LOT of money for a deposit. Traditionally it's only a couple of hundred bucks. I buy quite a few cars and I usually never give more the $100-$500 for a deposit. And it's refundable. Deposits for automobiles are also regulated by State. It's illegal to keep a deposit in many States.

There is one very credible dealer who offers huge discounts and requires a $1K non-refundable deposit. Non-refundable is usually a red flag to me but many forum members report honest and excellent service from them so I am willing to go that route if needed.

This maybe a blessing in disguise? What kind of deal did you get, what discount under invoice? Review your deal with some deals on this forum. You can order a brand new Wrangler for 5%-8% UNDER INVOICE from a couple of motivated dealers on this forum. The one I mentioned who requires a $1K non-refundable deposit discounts up to 8% under invoice if you have affiliate and use their financing for 3 months min. They also have a $500 Doc so take that into consideration.

It is by far the worste time in the world to buy a used car today. Used car prices are over inflated 30%-40% now due to parts shortages. I would definitely NOT buy a used Wrangler at used car prices today. That will end up costing you MORE money in the long run. Buy new.
Sponsored