Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like although this is his personal vehicle, he will be using it to create content for work...and to help himself write it off in his taxes.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Do people want to see that man playing with his short, red and black at the tip Willy’s offroad?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have a somewhat similar setup to Tommy's in that my Sahara has a 2.72:1 transfer case, a rear Trac-Lok limited slip, and no swaybar disconnect. Granted, I also have a Mopar lift and 35-inch tires.

Nevertheless, last weekend I went off-roading with some friends to a remote area in the Cariboo Region of British Columbia. On a 10-point scale, the level of difficulty was in the 6-8 range. The Wrangler handled it with flying colors. No ifs or buts; it simply got through everything I threw at it without issue.

At one point we climbed a steep 1.5-mile long, 20%-grade trail of loose rock to a mountain top, with 5 adults and 2 dogs on board. I engaged into 4L and kept a steady 3 MPH: the Jeep got to the top without complaint.

I am very happy with this thing.

You can faintly see the trail to the top of the mountain in the distance
Jeep Wrangler JL Tommy From TFL Took His Willys Offroad 1626284714678

Sponsored

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The Wrangler handled it with flying colors. No ifs or buts
I spent way too long confused by this. "Okay I know ifs is independent front suspension, what the hell is buts? brake lock, no ..... back up traction, no..."

I think I need more time in the real world.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I spent way too long confused by this. "Okay I know ifs is independent front suspension, what the hell is buts? brake lock, no ..... back up traction, no..."

I think I need more time in the real world.
:LOL:

Yup. By comparison, the 4WD system on my friends' two Mercedes-Benz Sprinters hesitated every time the going got tough.

Mercedes relies too much on electronics to get you through difficult spots. The trouble is, when traction goes down to near zero, so does engine power.

Jeep is smart in that as soon as you engage 4L, it turns off all electronic controls.

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
I have a somewhat similar setup to Tommy's in that my Sahara has a 2.72:1 transfer case, a rear Trac-Lok limited slip, and no swaybar disconnect. Granted, I also have a Mopar lift and 35-inch tires.
Basically the same here, it's amazing what it can do. The brake lock differential is surprisingly effective in situations where you lift a tire and would otherwise want lockers (although it's not a substitute).

Manually disconnecting the sway bar makes such a big difference, too! Just a bit annoying trying to get it back in line to reconnect. I carry a bottle jack to help get everything lined up again.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
It is so refreshing to see a video about a $30,000 Wrangler being used out in the wild, as opposed to a $60,000 Rubicon --or a non-existent Ford Bronco-- on a controlled course.

Sponsored

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
Do people want to see that man playing with his short, red and black at the tip Willy’s offroad?
Ask trailrecon followers, and you will have your answer.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
It was a cool video. I like watching their offroad stuff when they just put some cool shots together with some chill music in the background. Colorado looks absolutely stunning and I really hope I can get out there some day.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Basically the same here, it's amazing what it can do. The brake lock differential is surprisingly effective in situations where you lift a tire and would otherwise want lockers (although it's not a substitute).

Manually disconnecting the sway bar makes such a big difference, too! Just a bit annoying trying to get it back in line to reconnect. I carry a bottle jack to help get everything lined up again.
I have JKS FlexConnect swaybar links with quick release, but I was too lazy to disconnect them.

The FlexConnect adds a few degrees of articulation even without disconnecting.

Reactions: eck

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Did he openly admit to paying 35k for a Jeep? Doesn’t he know how to haggle? Shouldn’t have paid a penny more than 25k
If you can find a new JL for $25k, I'll eat the corn out of your poop.
Sponsored