Towing trailer - questions

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All,

I have 2019 MOAB on 37” tires, lifted 2.5”.
I see it says it can tow a maximum 3,500lbs. Does my lift and large tires have any effect on the towing capacity?

I’ve also never towed. Any supplies I’ll need other than the trailer and hitch?
Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
What do you plan on towing?

I’m not an expert in towing but here’s my .2 cents:

If you’re not going near Max tow then you’ll be fine, you just need to find a quality drop hitch and ensure your hitch receiver is torqued to the proper specs.

Like with towing anything especially a lifted vehicle with heavy tires your acceleration will decrease (obviously) and your braking distance will need to increase (obviously).

You’ll be fine with a quality drop hitch.

Edit:

Maybe @X99104 can help with the details, he tows.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I have purchased, but not received, a teardrop trailer. It has trailer brakes and weighs 1700 lbs dry. I have a 2019 JLUR with the tow package and will have to add a Tow-Pro Elite electric brake controller from Redarc (I can't use the Mopar version as I have the 6-speed manual) to activate the trailer brakes. I will have to determine if the current 2" drop hitch I have is enough or if I will need a 4" drop as I will have 35" tires on the Jeep by the time I pick it up and possibly a 2.5" lift as well.

QC22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURR
Your 37s combined with Moab gear ratio (3.73?) is generally considered to have a negative impact on towing capacity.

OP
OP

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
Towing a 5x8 U-Haul trailer for camping

Sponsored

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
My Aussie spec JLUR is rated to tow 5500lb (All Australian spec JL's are as they'd never sell any here otherwise), I have a 2" hitch and a RedArc brake controller, I also have airbags in the back to stop the sag when loaded up with my camper etc, it also helps the jeep sit flatter on road with a load on. I think you'll have no trouble with 3500lb, even my 2 door JK was legal to tow that much and did with no problems. My Jeep is on 34's with 2" lift.

edit *** YOUR GEARING MAY SUCK WHEN TOWING ***

OilBurnerHoldOut

First Name
Richard (Rich)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Ford Edge, 76 Yamaha xs 500, and 89 Honda PC800
Occupation
UPS Worldport 1DA
My Aussie spec JLUR is rated to tow 5500lb (All Australian spec JL's are as they'd never sell any here otherwise), I have a 2" hitch and a RedArc brake controller, I also have airbags in the back to stop the sag when loaded up with my camper etc, it also helps the jeep sit flatter on road with a load on. I think you'll have no trouble with 3500lb, even my 2 door JK was legal to tow that much and did with no problems. My Jeep is on 34's with 2" lift.

edit *** YOUR GEARING MAY SUCK WHEN TOWING ***
Yeah, US spec has always been stuck at 3500 Max. Since the introduction of the jku.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I’ve also never towed. Any supplies I’ll need other than the trailer and hitch?
As your comment suggests the receiver hitch isn't yet installed, you'll also need a tow harness: 7 pin, or 4-flat. The former accommodates trailer brakes, the latter doesn't. Harnesses that provide both connections are available, as are those that just provide the 4-flat (at a lower cost.)

Knowing that I'd only ever tow a motorcycle trailer that weighs less <2,000 lbs. when loaded, I chose the 4-flat harness.

Here's a good site to learn the basics.

I will have to determine if the current 2" drop hitch I have is enough or if I will need a 4" drop as I will have 35" tires on the Jeep by the time I pick it up and possibly a 2.5" lift as well.
The 2" drop on my existing hitch caused too much upward tilt when a trailer was connected to my stock Sport. An adjustable ball mount was fitted so that I could safely tow a trailer with it sitting properly level.

With 35s and an eventual lift, you're really going to need to drop your ball. Ahem. ;)

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Yeah, US spec has always been stuck at 3500 Max. Since the introduction of the jku.
The US goes conservative with tow ratings. Here is an article that helps explain the reasoning. Here are the cliff notes (for those of you old enough to remember those):

To boil it all down, the reason that American vehicles are rated to tow less is based on a difference methodology for tow safety.

US tow safety prioritizes a naturally safe dynamic situation so that more people can pull at freeway speeds with less likelihood of incident. There is no doubt that using this method results in an inherently safer tow situation as it relates to vehicle dynamics.

UK tow safety allows for the possibility to carry more weight, but erring on the side of caution with far less safety margin in respect to the physics.

Bottom line - Can a tow vehicle pull a heavier trailer there than is rated for here in the US? Yes, with some provisions:

1. The closer the trailer weight gets to the vehicle weight the slower you will need to drive.

2. DO NOT exceed 65 mph with a tongue weight in the 4-7% range, this is a guaranteed way to sway and 65 is the max, go slower in regards to #1.

3. None of this takes into account crosswinds, cooling systems, hp, or braking effectiveness (or legality).

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
5x8 U-Haul trailer
From U-haul in reference to their 5x8’s:
  • Max load: 1,800 lbs.
  • Empty weight: 900 lbs.
So packed to the brim you’ll be at approx 2,700 lbs.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Towing a 5x8 U-Haul trailer for camping
U-Haul is notorious for refusing to rent trailers when towing with a Wrangler, be they hard top or soft top (always the latter, sometimes the former.) Voice of experience here.

Go to the U-Haul website and enter your vehicle data to determine if you're able to proceed. If you can't, you'll see "Vehicle or hitch weight requirements not met."

OP
OP

Tahoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab
Vehicle Showcase
U-Haul is notorious for refusing to rent trailers when towing with a Wrangler, be they hard top or soft top (always the latter, sometimes the former.) Voice of experience here.

Go to the U-Haul website and enter your vehicle data to determine if you're able to proceed. If you can't, you'll see "Vehicle or hitch weight requirements not met."
Able to proceed. They don’t allow soft tops at all. I have a sky one touch: hopefully they don’t see the convertible top :)

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
Here is more info than you want. Based on being a RVer for nearly 70 years. You need to have at least 12% of the trailer weight on the hitch. More is better than less. If you go less ,the trailer will enter a death wobble at some speed. If you are over 2000 pounds, I'd seriously recommend brakes. Use a drop hitch as needed to make the trailer ride level. Make sure your trailer lights work especially if the trailer blocks the Jeep tail lights. If you have excessive sag on the Jeep rear when loaded and hitched, you need airbags or a weight distributing hitch. If you go with a WDH, have a professional shop install a new receiver. The one on your Jeep is a Class II hitch and should not be used with WDHs. I recommend a WDH with built in sway control such as Blue Ox. Your Jeep is a very short wheelbase for a tow vehicle and will react much faster to trailer sway than a long wheelbase TV. Be very smooth and careful at normal highway speeds. If you find yourself on a two lane road with more that 5-6 vehicles behind you, please pull over and let them pass.