Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone wired a plug/connection for the portable ARB twin compressor so it can be used without opening the hood? I just got one of the compressors and I'm looking for a way to wire a plug and attach it to my grill/bumper so I can use the compressor without opening the hood. I currently have a winch solenoid wired to my factory Aux 4 switch so the winch can not be used without that switch being on. Can I run another output off of that solenoid that would power up a connection for the compressor? The winch and the compressor would never be used a the same time. My other three Aux switches are already being used and if I don't need another solenoid that's one less part. I'd like to be able to not have the compressor power port being on at all times, hence it being switched through the Aux 4 and winch solenoid if that's possible.
Sponsored

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
Mine is wired with both the winch and air compressor working off the solenoid wired to Aux 4. I, like you, believe I will never need to run them at the same time. You could mount an Anderson Plug to the front bumper and only bring out the air compressor when you need it. You could also hook the plug straight to your battery and then use the air compressor without a soledoid (thought you would need a pigtail with fuses) and have the ability to jump another vehicle without opening you hood.

OP
OP
Gadgettr1

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is wired with both the winch and air compressor working off the solenoid wired to Aux 4. I, like you, believe I will never need to run them at the same time. You could mount an Anderson Plug to the front bumper and only bring out the air compressor when you need it. You could also hook the plug straight to your battery and then use the air compressor without a soledoid (thought you would need a pigtail with fuses) and have the ability to jump another vehicle without opening you hood.
I like the Aux 4/solenoid idea. I don't want the Anderson Plug (what I was thinking of using, just not sure which exact one yet or what mount) always hot. By having it go through the solenoid and Aux 4 switch I can control when it's live. So, I'm assuming I can go straight from the solenoid with no additional fusing before the Anderson plug? I will still keep the two fuses at the compressor itself.

OP
OP
Gadgettr1

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Which Anderson plugs did you use and how did you mount it?

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
Which Anderson plugs did you use and how did you mount it?
I should of used more paragraph returns.

I do no have an Anderson Plug, I was just suggesting that you could go that route.

My winch and air compressor are both tied to a solenoid controlled by Aux4. My air compressor is mounted inside behind the driver's seat. I figured since I am always out of the vehicle when using it I would not notice the noise.

Sponsored

PacNWJLGecko

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I should of used more paragraph returns.

I do no have an Anderson Plug, I was just suggesting that you could go that route.

My winch and air compressor are both tied to a solenoid controlled by Aux4. My air compressor is mounted inside behind the driver's seat. I figured since I am always out of the vehicle when using it I would not notice the noise.
Which mount did you go with? I have been eyeing the Innovative underseat mount kit.

omnitonic

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys in Sarge Green
Occupation
truck driver
I really don't see a problem with wiring everything and the kitchen sink to the same circuit, as long as you have some sense about it. At my house, I only had room for one extra breaker, and it had to be a single pole. I got the biggest single pole breaker they made, and I used that one circuit to power a wood shop and a metal shop. I've got 10 gauge wires run everywhere. It's a horrible setup, but I've only tripped the breaker a couple of times. I just have to be careful not to run too much heavy draw stuff at the same time. The same rules apply to DC vehicle wiring.

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which mount did you go with? I have been eyeing the Innovative underseat mount kit.
I went with the M.O.R.E. mount on the wall behind the driver. I just was not comfortable with any of the below the seat mounts. To awkward to get to if issues arise.
Sponsored